Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motor tax on a twin cab hilux

• 23-05-2009 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

i was thinking of importing a hilux twin cab 06/07 .

I'm told i have to have 3 employees to tax in commercial.

i am driving commercial 4x4 for the last 12 or more years.

does any one have some facts on this many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Would it be good to make the point of you are trying to eliminate the possibility of 3 lads squeezing themselves into a 2 seater ( on days you're not around etc ) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Just got the form from my local tax office, i have an 08 navara crew cab and it states that you must be an employer with amin of 3 employees, and the vehicle must only be used in conjunction with your work.

The garda when filling it in said its been inforced as its defrauding the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

is there a loop hole in this i know a good few lads that dont have employees that drive crew cabs on commercial tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I have an 08 L200 crew cab taxed commercial with no problems at all, it was part of the reason I bought it! No mention of employee's or any of that other rubbish when I was taxing it or getting the guards to sign it off the road for a month or two when I got it re-registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Any CCab I've seen is on commercial tax..........them all in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

Any CCab I've seen is on commercial tax..........them all in fact.

I have been told that the Traffic Corps are now stopping crew cabs at weekends and if they are being used for social and personal use with family members on board, then they are in trouble. Crew cabs on commercial tax can only carry employees in connection with business, usually monday/friday.

PanhardPL wrote: »
    I have been told that the Traffic Corps are now stopping crew cabs at weekends and if they are being used for social and personal use with family members on board, then they are in trouble. Crew cabs on commercial tax can only carry employees in connection with business, usually monday/friday.

that could be said for my disco and every van in the country .

jwshooter wrote: »
    that could be said for my disco and every van in the country .

Its the fact that crew cabs are fitted with rear seats, which is not the case with a commercial disco.

Evidence please.

Wexford Coco is the only place I've found anything about this. Tax office I went too never informed me of this doc or anything about private tax!

• Advertisement

Farls wrote: »
    Evidence please.

You have the evidence yourself from Wexford and you can take it that within a short space of time, similar declaration forms will be required by all Motor Tax offices. Its also very clear that a crew cab on commercial tax can only be used for business and not private use. I understand that the Traffic Corps in the Dublin/Kildare area have been stopping and checking same for quite some time.

You have the evidence yourself from Wexford and you can take it that within a short space of time, similar declaration forms will be required by all Motor Tax offices. Its also very clear that a crew cab on commercial tax can only be used for business and not private use. I understand that the Traffic Corps in the Dublin/Kildare area have been stopping and checking same for quite some time.

Motor tax legislation is not something that is 'eased in' with a few counties leading the way so I wouldn't go by your short space of time notion there. Motor tax is country wide and the problem is that some parts of the country are more stringent on compliance with these laws than others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Wexford Coco is the only place I've found anything about this. Tax office I went too never informed me of this doc or anything about private tax!

This, if implemented, is going to put the cat amongst the pigeons.

A lot of families use these crew cabs every day of the week.

I have some sympathy for these people who road tax is gonna triple. Wait 'til someone rings Joe Duffy complaining about it. :eek:

Slidey wrote: »
    This, if implemented, is going to put the cat amongst the pigeons.

A lot of families use these crew cabs every day of the week.

I have some sympathy for these people who road tax is gonna triple. Wait 'til someone rings Joe Duffy complaining about it. :eek:

To be honest slidey I don't think its going to be a problem, the same people will tax their crew cabs privately and the rest will tax them as commercials. I can only see this law being enforced when the garda/traffic core are either bored or want to get someone. Sure they can't even keep the VRT evaders under wraps!

On a side note a lot of dealers advertise crew cabs to the general public on the basis of 'cheap tax' and there is no mention of employees or business hour usage!

You would be surprised how tight some people are and the length they will go to to get cheap tax.

I know a guy who extended the rear floor of his Toyota Amazon jeep so it could be classed as a crew cab. This same chap is a millionaire many times over.

Haha I know rightly! Lad up here in Letterkenny done similar with a Navara to get it cleared for 50 euro and he owns his own business up here...those that have money keep it...its the rest of us edjets that throw it away!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I live in wexford and I own a L200 Crewcab I've had it 3 years now and I've never been asked for any employees names or rsi numbers.
    The reason is because I've had it before the new restrictions came in but if I changed tomorrow I know for a fact I would have to supply the details of employees.
    I personally know to people this has happened to in the last 12 months one of them had no problem giving the details but the other had to put the jeep in someone else's name to get the commercial tax.
    In Wexford they will also ask for a vat number to tax a commercial crew cab If you have only bought it in the last year or so.

are were the only county this is happening in .
    i know a lad from laois that bought a crew cab a few month ago he has no business or employees and the cops stamped the deceleration form for him to say he wanted for commercial use.

jwshooter wrote: »
    are were the only county this is happening in .
    i know a lad from laois that bought a crew cab a few month ago he has no business or employees and the cops stamped the deceleration form for him to say he wanted for commercial use.

From what I am hearing its yourselves and Offaly that are being stringent! Simple answer...tax your vehicle in another county.

All co co tax offices are issuing the crew cab declaration form when tax is due.

I use my crew cab a navara for work and for my own leisure ie shooting going to football or golf , but this form says i can only use it for work and carry my employees.

If I am at work and need to view a job can I take a client with me for lunch ? will he be covered if any accident occurs.

Can this be challenged as it discrimation, I also have a crew cab transit but this is not subject to the same criteria, very fecking puzzling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If they do bring this in, I think it's about time.

Why should anyone get cheap tax, for something they will never use for business use? There is a reason for commercial tax, and if you're not using it for your business, then pay the tax + vrt of a normal 2.5 of whatever, just like the rest of us have to.

Something that has been overlooked for too long IMO.

Limerick man, i would say 99% of crew cab owners are using it for work, but i also use it at weekends for my leisure driving , what am i to do buy another car just to drive on sundays.
    They should bring in a law that when you buy a crew cab it can only be registered in acompany or business name.

I am going to see a legal expert on this as its total discrimination and was not mentioned when i bought the navara last year and paid €39k for it.

macadam wrote: »
    Limerick man, i would say 99% of crew cab owners are using it for work, but i also use it at weekends for my leisure driving , what am i to do buy another car just to drive on sundays.
    They should bring in a law that when you buy a crew cab it can only be registered in acompany or business name.

I am going to see a legal expert on this as its total discrimination and was not mentioned when i bought the navara last year and paid €39k for it.

Aye but they were supposed to be soley work vehicles. Ie. that's why you get the cheap tax and cheaper VRT.

macadam wrote: »

You have a fair point about your own personal circumstances but I would disagree that 99% of people have them for business use.

I see an awful lot of them every week and most are not registered to companies and you see a good few with baby seats etc in them which obviously are just used for domestic/pleasure purposes

Most tax offices don't issue these declaration forms I think you will find. If they did then there wouldn't be so many crew cabs on commercial tax in private use.

If you have somebody other than an employee in your vehicle at the weekend and it is insured then your covered in the case of an accident. Your insurance is a totally separate matter to your tax. Ie. you can tax it commercially but insure it privately etc.

It is a sort of 'loop hole' in the system but in fairness it's one I don't think they are going to get sewn up. For instance say your a farmer with no business number, no employee's but use your crew cab as a commercial vehicle for your livelihood 24/7...surely you can't be made pay private tax?

What if your do have your own business but only have 1 or 2 employee's? In this day and age I don't think they can take more money of anyone trying to run a business no matter how small.

As for 99% of people having them for business use I highly doubt it, more like 60/70% I would say at a very rough guess.

On a side note macadam...you paid 39k for a new navara?? :eek:

i would want for business as a stonemason carrying tools pulling trailers and at times a few lads .

on the weekend i want if for shooting dogs and wet gear .

Say the guards do stop a man about his business with a young one sittin on, on a saturday night and the vehicle happens to be commercially taxed. What law are you breaking? You weren't made aware of any declaration forms or asked for employee prsi numbers when you taxed it. And the guards even signed the vehicle of the road for you for a month or two with no questions?

The vehicle is taxed so they can't do you for no tax, so what can they do you for?

Say the guards do stop a man about his business with a young one sittin on, on a saturday night and the vehicle happens to be commercially taxed. What law are you breaking? You weren't made aware of any declaration forms or asked for employee prsi numbers when you taxed it. And the guards even signed the vehicle of the road for you for a month or two with no questions?

The vehicle is taxed so they can't do you for no tax, so what can they do you for?

They can do you for taxing it and vrting it commercially, and then using it outside of business hours/use.

I'm sure they are slowy bringing this law in, I don't know about how they can implement it straight away without fore warning. It's like the L drivers thing, the law was there the whole time for a full licence driver, but it was never enforced.

They can do you for taxing it and vrting it commercially, and then using it outside of business hours/use.

I'm sure they are slowy bringing this law in, I don't know about how they can implement it straight away without fore warning. It's like the L drivers thing, the law was there the whole time for a full licence driver, but it was never enforced.

You can ONLY vrt a crew cab at the 13.3% rate there is no other option unless you manage to sneak it in for 50 euro!

As for tax and business hour use I was unaware of the private option until this thread!! The idea behind business hour use is a joke anyway. I'd be interested to see what a guard comes up with if he stops me for this unknown offence.

• Advertisement

You can ONLY vrt a crew cab at the 13.3% rate there is no other option unless you manage to sneak it in for 50 euro!

And what's the point of a crewcab?

Advertisement