Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motor tax on a twin cab hilux

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Slidey wrote: »
    You CANNOT test a private vehicle in a test centre.

For a fail or pass cert to be issued we need an ULW. On a private reg vehicle under 'basis for assessment' it has the cc printed. On a commercial it is kg.

What you have to do is get your van weighed at an approved weighbridge and produce that at the tax office with your pass cert. Then when you tax it commercially your log book will be changed.

And yes, DOE centres are flat out. I barely have time to doss at all these days! :cool:

Again it looks like different county's different rules then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Farls wrote: »
    Interesting that, my L200 weighs in at 1960kg, I can't see the DMAX being much different? extra leaves and a heavier shock would hardly bring weight up that much?
    Its the gross weight not the unladen weight that the legislation refers to
    foxhunter wrote: »
    Again it looks like different county's different rules then.

Same rules are applied by the RSA country wide.

Some testers either don't have a clue or don't give a shyte TBH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

There goes my plan of buying a hilux crew cab for the wife and kids... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

stifz wrote: »
    There goes my plan of buying a hilux crew cab for the wife and kids... :o

As long as you don't live in Wexford or near LM I would work away :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭al2009

Ok, ingoring the fact they are crewcabs, they are indeed commercial. To which the same laws apply. I know for a fact you not supposed to use a commercially taxed vehicle outside of business hours, but alot of people are "on call 24/7".

Being on call doesn't excempt the vehicle if you apply the letter of the law, applying the above means legitimate use is from the office/registered company address to a job, not the service guys house to the job.

Btw what cost is it to privately tax a crew cab? is it flat rate?

al

• Advertisement

Well if it was a 3.0l it would be in or around 1300 euro the same as a car AFAIK.

so would that still be a legimate business expense?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Slidey wrote: »
    You CANNOT test a private vehicle in a test centre.

For a fail or pass cert to be issued we need an ULW. On a private reg vehicle under 'basis for assessment' it has the cc printed. On a commercial it is kg.

What you have to do is get your van weighed at an approved weighbridge and produce that at the tax office with your pass cert. Then when you tax it commercially your log book will be changed.

And yes, DOE centres are flat out. I barely have time to doss at all these days! :cool:

Our area RSA inspector told us we can test anything so long as it has an ULW cert and its up to the vehicle owner to insure correct tax is being paid for the vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

al2009 wrote: »
    so would that still be a legimate business expense?:rolleyes:
    Yes
    al2009 wrote: »
    Being on call doesn't excempt the vehicle if you apply the letter of the law, applying the above means legitimate use is from the office/registered company address to a job, not the service guys house to the job.
    working from home, as self-employed, or, for example, as a rep, is also considered by revenue to be 'work', for travel purposes. I.e., that leaving your driveway means you are 'at work'.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

[HTML]working from home, as self-employed, or, for example, as a rep, is also considered by revenue to be 'work', for travel purposes. I.e., that leaving your driveway means you are 'at work'. [/HTML]

Thats as it should be, prettty muich anything we do as self employed is "work"!.

the point i'm getting at is when you are employed,(other than maybe as a rep), work starts at the office, this was made plain to us by revenue some years ago, nice folks that they are!!

al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I am looking at getting a crew cab and I'm not too worried about the tax situation but I am a little concerned about the "3 employee's rule", if that is enforced.

I am self employed and don't have any employees, however I do need to bring other crew & cast members around with me to various shoots who work for themselves on a freelance basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

keefg wrote: »
    I am looking at getting a crew cab and I'm not too worried about the tax situation but I am a little concerned about the "3 employee's rule", if that is enforced.

I am self employed and don't have any employees, however I do need to bring other crew & cast members around with me to various shoots who work for themselves on a freelance basis.

i was talking to wexford tax office you will have to have 3 employers .
    like yourself i would at time have workers ,clients in my jeep at times.

in donegal there is none of it just tax it commercial ,my friend taxed his no problem and he does not have a business.

this very typical of this little country of ours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

jwshooter wrote: »
    i was talking to wexford tax office you will have to have 3 employers .

That's just b0llocks :mad:

keefg wrote: »
    That's just b0llocks :mad:

ya man but what can i do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Eye

On another side but also crew cab worthy note.

You can VRT a new nissan navara crew cab for 50 euro without any modifications.

From the revenue's publication on VRT

http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/foi/s16/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-manual-section-1.pdf

http://www.nissan.ie/new_vehicles/specifications.aspx?carid=121&EngineID=51&GradeID=26

And open up the dimensions you'll find the wheelbase of the Navara is 3200mm with a bed length of 1511mm giving you 47% thus placing the Navara into category C.

I would be sickened if I paid 13.3% VRT on one or done like a lad up here and took out seats etc to get it through!

I think you'll find that a Navara can no longer be VRT'd for €50, it does not weight 3500kg, so therefore it falls back to Cat B VRT and 13.3%, I know this as I just imported one from the north a month ago and had to pay €3400 for VRT on it, this is however in the process of an appeal as they have the OMSP for the Navara Outlaw way too high and i'm hoping should the appeal be a success to recoupe about a grand or so. The Navara meets all the criteria for Cat C VRT and €50 except for the weight, it used to be 2500kg i think but was raised and as a result, they now list all the Navara's under Cat B for VRT.

The other thing I wanted to point out.... even if you did manage to find a crew cab that weights over 3500kg then i think you'll also find that a Cat B drivers licence will not cover you for vehicles weighting 3500kg+ you'll be wanted a Cat C licence i do believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

There are two differant models of Navara, one has a gvw of 3120kg and the other has a GVW of 3500kg, the 3500kg model is entitled to the 50euro VRT and does not need the cat c licence.
    Eye wrote: »
    I think you'll find that a Navara can no longer be VRT'd for €50, it does not weight 3500kg, so therefore it falls back to Cat B VRT and 13.3%, I know this as I just imported one from the north a month ago and had to pay €3400 for VRT on it, this is however in the process of an appeal as they have the OMSP for the Navara Outlaw way too high and i'm hoping should the appeal be a success to recoupe about a grand or so. The Navara meets all the criteria for Cat C VRT and €50 except for the weight, it used to be 2500kg i think but was raised and as a result, they now list all the Navara's under Cat B for VRT.

The other thing I wanted to point out.... even if you did manage to find a crew cab that weights over 3500kg then i think you'll also find that a Cat B drivers licence will not cover you for vehicles weighting 3500kg+ you'll be wanted a Cat C licence i do believe.

Eye wrote: »
    The new model of Isuzu DMAX has a GVW of 3500, this is acceptable for the 50euro vrt and can be driven on a car licence

jwshooter wrote: »
    ya man but what can i do.

Drive to next counties tax office and tax it there...its a simple answer.

As for clearing the Navara it meets the criteria to become category C under the wheelbase/load liner dimensions, it doesn't say it needs to meet all criteria ie. the GVW also.

I also have an appeal in about the OMSP of the L200...they are 10k off in their estimations! I must actually call about it I lodged it over 2 months ago.

can you do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Drive to next counties tax office and tax it there...its a simple answer.

As for clearing the Navara it meets the criteria to become category C under the wheelbase/load liner dimensions, it doesn't say it needs to meet all criteria ie. the GVW also.

I also have an appeal in about the OMSP of the L200...they are 10k off in their estimations! I must actually call about it I lodged it over 2 months ago.

Won't work.
    I moved counties and the old tax office wouldn't tax it they referred me to the county that I now live in.
    Of course your tax office might differe but that was my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Can you not tax her online?
    Or is this to the "first" time taxing her situation?

Dont think you can tax a commercial online as you have to produce your test cert.

Unlike private tax, you must have a current test to tax.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Won't work.
    I moved counties and the old tax office wouldn't tax it they referred me to the county that I now live in.
    Of course your tax office might differe but that was my experience.

Worked fine for me, sure try the counties close to you first if that fails post the docs to somebody you know in donegal or similar and let them tax it for you. Where there is a will and all that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭cir287

just harping back a little ..... so what constitutes an or 3 employees ?
    can they be part time, family, wife, kids, former, do they need to pay tax, can the be volunteer ....... ?
    I know that may sound silly to some but we are down to technicalities here.

Cir

cir287 wrote: »
    just harping back a little ..... so what constitutes an or 3 employees ?
    can they be part time, family, wife, kids, former, do they need to pay tax, can the be volunteer ....... ?
    I know that may sound silly to some but we are down to technicalities here.

Cir

An employee is somebody that you as an employer pay PRSI for AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭cir287

dont think its that simple, could find anything definative on the revenue website,
    did find this :
    http://www.citizensinformationboard.ie/publications/providers/booklets/entitlements_employmentrights/publications_entitlements_employmentrights3.html

looks like another grey can of worms type area.

cir287 wrote: »
    dont think its that simple, could find anything definative on the revenue website,
    did find this :
    http://www.citizensinformationboard.ie/publications/providers/booklets/entitlements_employmentrights/publications_entitlements_employmentrights3.html

looks like another grey can of worms type area.

Ask you tax office what proof they want so?

Advertisement