Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monaco GP Discussion

• 23-05-2009 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Christ the BBC lads sound like they're in mourning. Fantastic :D :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

I know they didnt even notice the Force Indias are in qualy 2!!!!
    Great for them :D

Whats up with the Toyota's?
    I think I've missed something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

amacachi wrote: »
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Christ the BBC lads sound like they're in mourning. Fantastic :D :P

Old Grumble Brundle at it again.
    I did say they should have left him at itv :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

vectra wrote: »
    Old Grumble Brundle at it again.
    I did say they should have left him at itv :mad:

I meant to say other than Brundle, thought he was ok, just the rest whinging.

Would love a Ferrari to get pole. Just to prove Eddie Jordan wrong about KERS cars getting pole. And cos I want Ferrari to win :P

Wonder is Alonso gonna get a penalty for blocking Tulli

Way to go Kimi...
    Lets hope he is fuelled as long or longer than the rest at the front
    Kers off the line
    First win for Kimi :D

Woohoo.

GO KIMI GO....!!!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Trampas

The track seems to get easier every year.

Barriers are going further back. Rascasse straightish line in to what it was.

If you go back 10-15 years you had ST. Devote very tight. No run of area on the inside.

The swimming pool no cutting corners as barriers at edge of track.

More of a test back then

So glad Kimi got on the front row. He should get ahead of Button with KERS.
    Here's hoping to a Ferrari win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Did I miss something...? I thought Jenson stole the pole at the end of the session?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

i can see the start of this race being complete carnage tbh any bets on how many front wings will be lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Qualifying was good today, Ferrari looking stronger than they were and the drivers are motivated. Hopefully we will see some of this! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Chopper888

Personally I can't see much overtaking tomorrow. The post qualifying fuel weights have been released , Brawns looking very strong.

Pos Driver Weight (kg.)
    1. Jenson Button 647.5
    2. Kimi Raikkonen 644.0
    3. Rubens Barrichello 648.0
    4. Sebastian Vettel 631.5
    5. Felipe Massa 643.5
    6. Nico Rosberg 642.0
    7. Heikki Kovalainen 644.0
    8. Mark Webber 646.5
    9. Fernando Alonso 654.0
    10. Kazuki Nakajima 668.0
    11. Sebastien Buemi 670.0*
    12. Nelson Piquet 673.1*
    13. Giancarlo Fisichella 693.0*
    14. Sebastien Bourdais 699.5*
    15. Adrian Sutil 670.0*
    16. Lewis Hamilton 645.5*
    17. Nick Heidfeld 680.0*
    18. Robert Kubica 696.0*
    19. Jarno Trulli 688.3*
    20. Timo Glock 700.8*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

if kimi can jump button at the start he has a great chance, but if button can keep position we wont see him for the afternoon. great to see the ferrari at the front:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Way to go Kimi...
    Lets hope he is fuelled as long or longer than the rest at the front
    Kers off the line
    First win for Kimi :D

Woohoo.

GO KIMI GO....!!!:cool:

Got him at 10/1 for €10 on tue!
    Would be some nice seed money for after the exams!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Where does Button keep getting this from? A track he's admitted he's not good on, not the fastest all weekend but pulling out the times exactly when it matters. Incredible stuff.

Did Raikkonen hear the voice of the critics the other week? Fastest lap of the weekend, but not when it counted. Button has been slow off the start every weekend so Kimi must fancy his chances here.

And for all the gloating "BBC whinger" comments - I detected no sign of bias - they were clearly feeling for Hamilton, but any reasonable person would - this is his sort of track and he was in with a good shout of wringing a podium at least out of his car this weekend. If Heiki managed 3th you can bet Hamilton would have been at least 2nd row. Desperate luck, and as DC said, suspicious that the only two KERS cars on the road both had similar sorts of spins in low braking conditions. Like him or loathe him, it would have been a treat to see Hamilton going round Monaco this weekend.

Did Raikkonen hear the voice of the critics the other week? Fastest lap of the weekend, but not when it counted. Button has been slow off the start every weekend so Kimi must fancy his chances here.
    Pos No Driver Team Q1 Q2 Q3 Laps
    1 22 Jenson Button Brawn-Mercedes 1:15.210 1:15.016 1:14.902 25
    2 4 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 1:15.746 1:14.514 1:14.927 31

Just .025 secs dude.

Kimi will blast him out of it at the first corner and romp to victory. He has nothing to lose, Butts has everything. The iceman returns! :D:D

think kimi has been reading all the forums:D, but its great to see abit of the old kimi back, button did a fantastic job 2day just goes to show the diffrence a bit of confidence can do for a guy, really looking foward to the race hopeing for a ferrari win:)

riemann wrote: »
    Just .025 secs dude.

Kimi will blast him out of it at the first corner and romp to victory. He has nothing to lose, Butts has everything. The iceman returns! :D:D

Hopefully Massa will jump a few spots as well with his kers and really throw the cat among the pigeons ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Hopefully Massa will jump a few spots as well with his kers and really throw the cat among the pigeons ;)

Anyone other than Raikonen pressing the KERS button on the first lap and the saftey car will be straight out and half the field missing.

robinph wrote: »
    half the field missing.

12 or less drivers to finish 13/8

13 or 14 drivers to finish 11/4

15 or more drivers to finish 11/10

Rough odds but 12 or less is tempting given how close they all are at the front. Surely someone will have to go for it hopefully something like this :D:

Anyone other than Raikonen pressing the KERS button on the first lap and the saftey car will be straight out and half the field missing.

Why do you think I would like to see massa hitting the kers button..
    he could take out a lot of front runners including the chamipionship leaders:D

• Advertisement

Charming idea.

I'll never understand the need of sports fans to want to see "their" team succeed over the interests of a more interesting spectacle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've no problem with seeing a couple of red cars crashing, will be interesting enough for me. :D

id be more worried about kimi takeing himself out rather than massa causing any trouble to be honest, hopefully everyone get through the first corner, id much rather see kimi and massa beat button on the track rather than the result of a first corner crash.

enzo7 wrote: »
    id much rather see kimi and massa beat button on the track rather than the result of a first corner crash.

as would I, but it is monaco and as James Hunt said the race is over after the first corner.

Button has a lap or two more fuel aswell, so jumping him at the pitstops wouldnt be easy either.

as would I, but it is monaco and as James Hunt said the race is over after the first corner.

Button has a lap or two more fuel aswell, so jumping him at the pitstops wouldnt be easy either.

ya i think if button holds his position we wont see him for the afternoon, but if kimi can jump him at the start i think he has a great chance, fingers crossed:D

Charming idea.

I'll never understand the need of sports fans to want to see "their" team succeed over the interests of a more interesting spectacle.

Just even up the scores a little to make the rest of the season a"More interesting spectacle" now that the Ferraris..McLarens appear to be on a more level playing field to the Brawns and red bulls.
    would you prefer to see a two team runaway AGAIN this year?
    I know I would love to see an 8 or 10 driver battle at the top each race from here in.

from F1.com
    Q: (Heikki Kulta – Turun Sanomat) Kimi, is KERS your weapon against Jenson at the start?
    KR: Here it can maybe help a little bit but it’s such a short straight to the first corner, it’s very tight, it’s very difficult, you need to really have a jump. Much better to be able to beat the first guy but we will try, we will try what we can and see what happens.

Kimi has already decided hes only coming out of that corner in 1st position!
    Roll on 1pm! :D:D

well kimi is on the right side of the grid to push button wide in that corner as long as he gets a good start whatever happens the first lap should be fun

Edit: or is he is the pole on the left or right in monaco?

Grim. wrote: »
    well kimi is on the right side of the grid to push button wide in that corner as long as he gets a good start whatever happens the first lap should be fun

I think P2 is on the drivers left side?

• Advertisement

I think P2 is on the drivers left side? Not 100% tho...

They seemed to be showing Button on the drivers right on the graphics afterwards, and DC parked his car to the right of the road on the drive around at the start saying that was pole.

They seemed to be showing Button on the drivers right on the graphics afterwards, and DC parked his car to the right of the road on the drive around at the start saying that was pole.

Yeah ur right, thats what i was going on - but that could just be the way they (BBC) do it for every GP...?

T and DC parked his car to the right of the road on the drive around at the start saying that was pole.

yeah thats what made me think about it again after i posted

kimi round the outside in turn one ? ;-)

I think this is the grid for last year?
    Cheers for pointing the grass out, what was I thinking *sigh*

Maybe this one is better?

starting_grid_big.jpg

Start of last years P1 on right

Yeah, he can cut across the grass to get past. :D

Charming idea.

Personally I just like to see the leaders always taking a hit. The only thing in Formula 1 I have any bias towards is Raikkonen, he's how I think an F1 driver should be, realistic and a damn heavy drinker. :P I'd be glad to see the championship leaders fcuking up for the next few races to tighten things up. Read up about the end of the 2007 Indycar season for a tight finish. :D

• Advertisement

I'd be glad to see the championship leaders fcuking up for the next few races to tighten things up.

Thats what I was thinking.
    Would be nice to see 8 or 10 drivers battling it out for the rest of the season.

Is it only me.
    Or is anyone else getting sick or button "Howling" like a stupid kid when he gets pole or wins a race..!
    I dont recall any other driver carrying on like that,, Bloody annoying it is.:o

Thats what I was thinking.
    Would be nice to see 8 or 10 drivers battling it out for the rest of the season.

Is it only me.
    Or is anyone else getting sick or button "Howling" like a stupid kid when he gets pole or wins a race..!
    I dont recall any other driver carrying on like that,, Bloody annoying it is.:o

"Yeeeaaahhhhh!"

Me too! it just goes to show how far out of his depth he is. It would be a travesty if he wins the Monaco GP. Still was a good lap yesterday for P1.

"Yeeeaaahhhhh!"

Me too! it just goes to show how far out of his depth he is. It would be a travesty if he wins the Monaco GP. Still was a good lap yesterday for P1.

ya his getting on my nerves abit now! it would be a travesty if he won the world championship:mad: but he did do a great job yesterday in fairness to him.

We're now giving out that a driver is pleased when he does well?

Yet a while ago everyone was complaining Hill was boring?

You can please some of the people none of the time.

The guy is clearly ecstatic that he's pulling results out of the bag when either he doesn't expect to or when the odds are against him. He's spent 9 years with his career either stuck in crap cars, or being at the end of complicated legal wrangles. This is essentially only the second year he's had a chance of doing well and he's winning, after years of being written off and people given up on him. I don't begrudge him a single Woooot!

The guy is clearly ecstatic that he's pulling results out of the bag when either he doesn't expect to or when the odds are against him. He's spent 9 years with his career either stuck in crap cars, or being at the end of complicated legal wrangles. This is essentially only the second year he's had a chance of doing well and he's winning, after years of being written off and people given up on him. I don't begrudge him a single Woooot!

firstly hill was a moaner and a whinger but you could never call him boreing!
    as for button he did a fantastic job yesterday (by not sticking it in the barrier) but his got the best car on the grid if he wasnt on pole there would be serious questions asked off him, you can make any excuse you want for buttons failures over the last 8/9yrs but the fact is if any of the top teams rated him he would have been in a top team along time ago. if he wins the race today i wouldnt begrudge him a single wooot but acting if he had just won the world championship over a pole that no-one doubted he'd be on is a bit much for me.

• Advertisement

In the last two races, barrichello has had him beaten in practice all weekend long. In yesterday's qualifying he eked out a pole at the last minute, just like he did the race before by banging in the exact right lap at exactly the right time - that's the mark of a good championship driver.

And like I said before, all this goes to prove that in F1 there are no "crap" drivers in the first place, unlike what people prefer to believe.

During most of the years he was an "available" driver (ie not tied into the dead horse of BAR/Honda), the sport was dominated by McLaren/Ferrari, who already had Schumacher and Hakkinen - two of the great drivers of the modern age.

I for one never said Hill was boring.
    What I am saying is Button needs to grow up a little bit.
    He acts like a child when he gets pole or when he wins a race.
    remind me of another driver that carried on like him.

Clearly it's better if he gets out of the car, stiffly shakes hands with his mechanics, gives them a stern "well done chaps" and stands on the podium, hand over heart until he's told to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

+1

Whats the problem... the guy got pole at the last minute, after not looking great during Q1 and Q2, this is a driver who has had years in the doledrums, he didn't even have a definate drive for this season, he is just hoping he isn't dreaming.
    Surely this is what F1 fans have wanted for a long time new teams, new drivers fighting for the title.

Oh... and as for

This is also daft, the BBC coverage is great and very balanced, Hamilton imho is the most talented driver and one that at the front would have made the race alot more exciting.

Lads please do not let this forum get as stupid and petty as the soccer one.:)

Quoted For Truth.

If you're the sort of rabid fan who's more interested in a rival's misery than enjoying the thing, please go elsewhere.

In the last two races, barrichello has had him beaten in practice all weekend long. In yesterday's qualifying he eked out a pole at the last minute, just like he did the race before by banging in the exact right lap at exactly the right time - that's the mark of a good championship driver.

And like I said before, all this goes to prove that in F1 there are no "crap" drivers in the first place, unlike what people prefer to believe.

During most of the years he was an "available" driver (ie not tied into the dead horse of BAR/Honda), the sport was dominated by McLaren/Ferrari, who already had Schumacher and Hakkinen - two of the great drivers of the modern age.

practice is for fine tuneing you car all that proves is barrichello got his car sorted before button, yes he did hold a lap together at the right time and he get credit for that but i for one didnt think anyone else would be on pole but thats just me.

when has anyone every said they were crap drivers, their all fantastic racing drivers but there is a very big gap between the top drivers and the rest. if ferrari/maclaren rated button they could hav signed him in there 2nd seat. ive never rated button and im not just going to jump on the bangwagon now just because his accidently landed in the cussies seat in f1. i supported schumacher so im not easily impressed by anything less. if he does win today then full credit too him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

If you're the sort of rabid fan who's more interested in a rival's misery than enjoying the thing, please go elsewhere.

+1

Awful lost of whining recently and feel the forum has the potential to move downhill. I for one am looking forward to the race! Particularly as I have the bbc one live stream working now which I didn't yesterday and had to avoid the quallie result until it turned up to rewatch on iplayer

This is also daft, the BBC coverage is great and very balanced, Hamilton imho is the most talented driver and one that at the front would have made the race alot more exciting.

have to agree about the bbc coverage it is very balanced.

i dont care which teams are winning as long as the top drivers are involved that alonso,kimi,massa and maybe vettel as well not really convinced about him yet and hamilton ive never been his biggest fan but he is a fantastic talent. i dont enjoy watching button run away with the championship like he is doing now.

Whats the problem... the guy got pole at the last minute,

I am not talking just about this race.
    I am talking in general.. It is getting annoying listening to him screaming into the mike... Surely it comes as no surprise to him at this point.

Balanced yes
    I 100% agree
    BUT
    they should have left Grumble Brundle at ITV

, please go elsewhere.

It is NOT your position on this forum to tell anyone to go elsewhere

Were you watching the coverage yesterday morning? The air and atmosphere was ridiculous among the guys on BBC once Hamilton went out. The first sign of bias I've noticed this season and hoping it's not the start of more.

Also, you think Hamilton is the most talented driver, I don't, and I don't like him and I reserve the right to laugh when he ****s up. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement