Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monaco GP Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

vectra wrote: »
    BUT
    they should have left Grumble Brundle at ITV

After calling Geri Halliwell his daughter, bernie will ban him for the rest of the season :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

After calling Geri Halliwell his daughter, bernie will ban him for the rest of the season :D

Just a pity Bernie wasn't hanging out with some unknown businessman, love when he offloads some random rich guy on Brundle. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

amacachi wrote: »
    Were you watching the coverage yesterday morning? The air and atmosphere was ridiculous among the guys on BBC once Hamilton went out. The first sign of bias I've noticed this season and hoping it's not the start of more.

Also, you think Hamilton is the most talented driver, I don't, and I don't like him and I reserve the right to laugh when he ****s up. :)

I didn't get that at all. If there was excitement it was probably down to the possibility that
    a) The current World Champion might be racing for victory instead of points.
    b) One of the great drivers might be putting in an exciting performance
    c) The "processional" complaints that are coming in from casual viewers might be mixed up with a different bunch of drivers in contention
    d) The Big Two of Ferrari and McLaren coming back into fighting territory.

Hamilton on a personality level was much more likeable this weekend, he came straight out and apologised to his team for ****ing up, after the race he was genuine in his congratulations to the winner. Maybe time at the back of the grid will temper his personality just like it did with Jenson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Usual boring Monaco needs rain to spice it up.
    Did you here eddy say his bollocking of kimi last time is what has him doing better this week :pac:
    Nothing to do with the work Ferrari are doing on the car. :eek:

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Usual boring Monaco needs rain to spice it up.
    Did you here eddy say his bollocking of kimi last time is what has him doing better this week :pac:
    Nothing to do with the work Ferrari are doing on the car. :eek:

Earlier on he said they'd been giving him quite an earful, and I wouldn't be suprised.

Doesn't change the fact that he was right, though! :D

I thought I caught Kimi smiling for a second or two on the podium there. He wants to be careful, people will think he cares one way or the other. :)

Still won't save him getting the boot if Alonso moves though - Fernando had enough of having a fast teammate already, and the chances of Kimi co-operating with anybody for any reason at any time are pretty much nothing, :)

It is NOT your position on this forum to tell anyone to go elsewhere

I'm not "telling" anyone anything. I'm asking that people take partisan football style poor sportsmanship elsewhere, if that's what their posts are going to be about, for the good of the forum.

EvilMonkey wrote: »

Aye, DC had a big smile at that. :P

I think Eddie is more tongue in cheek than people realise. He's half serious and opinionated, which is a good trait for a talking head on a programme like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

I thought Eddie to be a little bit annoying, but i'm beginning to like the "chemistry" ,or lack of it, between EJ and DC.
    Back to the race, I'm glad to see Ferrari back at the front again. But how much of there performance is due to the nature of the circuit? Hope they keep it up. I wonder what's wrong with Toyota, they were nowhere this weekend. Compered to the first races of the season. It's nice to see Button happy with his win, the extra gridwalk was unusual to see but the public liked it. The discussion about a driver cheering on the radio or not makes me think about the Fry and Laurie clip someone posted, i prefer drivers who are clearly happy about winning a race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

rua1972 wrote: »
    i prefer drivers who are clearly happy about winning a race.

I have yet to see a driver that was not happy with a win :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

that the only emote you can use vectra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Grim. wrote: »
    that the only emote you can use vectra?

No, he is also very adept at this one - :D

If you look carefully at most of his post here he tends to (over)use both in combination, i.e. :D & :rolleyes:

Your hero......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIy5ipdoKro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

I'm asking that people take partisan football style poor sportsmanship elsewhere, if that's what their posts are going to be about, for the good of the forum.

Its a well known fact that Hamilton is one of the least popular drivers on the grid presumably down to his (undeserved) success, and I can assure you that in private, several of the drivers will have been in stitches seeing Hamilton hanging it out just a little bit too far. Call it unsportmanlike or any other number of big words but human nature being what is I for one will always be delighted when one of my competitors make a mistake and would expect the same treatment. Were not all saints and I doubt very much that you are either. :pac::D;):p:):rolleyes::o:mad::(:eek::cool::P:confused:

Your hero......

I assume that was a vid of raikkonen not laughing or rolling around on the ground with joy?

Each to their own but I love the unassuming way raikkonen takes his wins and losses in his stride.

• Advertisement

I don't have a problem with "Eh that guy deserves it", I have a problem with posters (not drivers) who have nothing to contribute in a post apart from spite, bitterness or jeering.

riemann wrote: »
    Its a well known fact that Hamilton is one of the least popular drivers on the grid presumably down to his (undeserved) success, and I can assure you that in private, several of the drivers will have been in stitches seeing Hamilton hanging it out just a little bit too far. Call it unsportmanlike or any other number of big words but human nature being what is I for one will always be delighted when one of my competitors make a mistake and would expect the same treatment. Were not all saints and I doubt very much that you are either. :pac::D;):p:):rolleyes::o:mad::(:eek::cool::P:confused:

I don't think that is really the issue here. It's the pathetic way certain members of this forum are now starting to dislike Jenson Button for displaying happiness when he is successful. These same people are often among the first to complain about broadcasters being partisan but they only need to take a look in the mirror to see the face of someone who is partisan beyond belief. The fact is that these kind of comments simply reek of bitterness and jealously and you can be damn sure that were Jenson Button celebrating a victory for Ferrari in the same manner then those comments would never have been posted. Over the next few races we will be hearing about how Button's Dad is never off the screen and how sick of the sight and sound of him certain people here are becoming. Him with his smug, arrogant look on his face all the time just because his son is winning. How dare he be happy for him?

I assume that was a vid of raikkonen not laughing or rolling around on the ground with joy?

Each to their own but I love the unassuming way raikkonen takes his wins and losses in his stride.

I don't know why the video doesn't show up but the link is underneath but yes it was a video of Raikkonen and it was simply a response to the comment made by vectra.

However, I don't rate drivers based on such trivial things as how they celebrate (or not) but prefer to judge them on their driving ability.

Your hero......

Can you please point out to me where Kimi was dissapointed with a win ? :confused:
    ( Note the new emoticon ) :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

\o/

• Advertisement

Can you please point out to me where Kimi was dissapointed with a win ? :confused:

Well he doesn't look very happy about it does he?

Anyway, this forum should be about discussing motorsport, not the silly character analysis of drivers it has turned into of late. It seems some people are more interested in discussing F1 in a sort of Celebrity Big Brother manner than a genuine sporting manner and that is to the detriment of the forum as a whole. Perhaps the moderators would consider opening a sticky to where all the ridiculous Hamilton and now Button bashing could be confined along with the pointless discussions about perceptions of broadcaster partisanship can go so that the rest of the forum can actually be used to discuss its intended topic - i.e. motorsport. I stopped posting on this forum once before because of the rubbish that gets in the way of a good discussion but it looks like nothing has been done to improve things and the same few culprits continue to ruin most good threads with their imbecilic rantings.

Do you want a prize for that?

Well he doesn't look very happy about it does he?

Who doesnt look too happy about what?
    Did you post something I missed?

Anyway, this forum should be about discussing motorsport, not the silly character analysis of drivers it has turned into of late.

True
    Some people have nothing better to do than pick on which emoticons are used by others.

It seems some people are more interested in discussing F1 in a sort of Celebrity Big Brother manner than a genuine sporting manner and that is to the detriment of the forum as a whole. Perhaps the moderators would consider opening a sticky to where all the ridiculous Hamilton and now Button bashing could be confined along with the pointless discussions about perceptions of broadcaster partisanship can go so that the rest of the forum can actually be used to discuss its intended topic - i.e. motorsport. I stopped posting on this forum once before because of the rubbish that gets in the way of a good discussion but it looks like nothing has been done to improve things and the same few culprits continue to ruin most good threads with their imbecilic rantings.

Nobody asked you to carry the post on.
    I merely asked if it was me or does other people get annoyed the way Button starts Roaring like a street drunk or a soccer hooligan

You colud have said something simply like " I dont take any notice of it "
    or whatever .

Do you want a prize for that?

Maybe you should get a prize for childlike comments like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

I don't think that is really the issue here. It's the pathetic way certain members of this forum are now starting to dislike Jenson Button for displaying happiness when he is successful. These same people are often among the first to complain about broadcasters being partisan but they only need to take a look in the mirror to see the face of someone who is partisan beyond belief. The fact is that these kind of comments simply reek of bitterness and jealously and you can be damn sure that were Jenson Button celebrating a victory for Ferrari in the same manner then those comments would never have been posted. Over the next few races we will be hearing about how Button's Dad is never off the screen and how sick of the sight and sound of him certain people here are becoming. Him with his smug, arrogant look on his face all the time just because his son is winning. How dare he be happy for him?

i dont think anyone on here dislikes jenson button for displaying happiness i think in was an innocent enough comment about how annoying he is when he starts wooping down the mic over getting a pole!! you dont get any points for that, if he just won the championship den fair enough. i support ferrari and i find kimi 10 times more annoying that button, (dis wkend apart because he wasnt the usual lazy kimi). i dont think any of us hav to worry about jenson in a ferrari it will never happen:). john button will start to annoy people after awhile but not because of his "smug face" but because the camera man will be wasteing time on him when it should be on the race just like anthony hamilton last yr and mrs hakkinen in the late 90s.

Who doesnt look too happy about what?
    Did you post something I missed?

It would seem so.

True
    Some people have nothing better to do than pick on which emoticons are used by others.

While you are all to willing to ignore the real points being made and prefer to dismiss them with comments such as the above.

Nobody asked you to carry the post on.

Wrong - you did....
    I merely asked if it was me or does other people get annoyed the way Button starts Roaring like a street drunk or a soccer hooligan

You see that? Its you asking a question. Questions require answers no matter how inane they are.
    You colud have said something simply like " I dont take any notice of it "or whatever .

I have done but why should I limit my response to just that when I can see what the bigger picture is and want to discuss it? Because it doesn't suit you?

Maybe you should get a prize for childlike comments like this

Here's another one for your consideration then: You started it.

enzo7 wrote: »
    i dont think anyone on here dislikes jenson button for displaying happiness i think in was an innocent enough comment about how annoying he is when he starts wooping down the mic over getting a pole!! you dont get any points for that, if he just won the championship den fair enough.

He had never been on pole at Monaco before and since he would be well aware of how important pole position is at Monaco he had every right to be delighted. Who are you to say how or when he should choose to celebrate?
    i support ferrari and i find kimi 10 times more annoying that button, (dis wkend apart because he wasnt the usual lazy kimi). i dont think any of us hav to worry about jenson in a ferrari it will never happen:).

Whether or not he is likely to be in a Ferrari is irrelevant since I simply put the hypothesis forward that the remarks would not have been made had he been.
    john button will start to annoy people after awhile but not because of his "smug face" but because the camera man will be wasteing time on him when it should be on the race just like anthony hamilton last yr and mrs hakkinen in the late 90s.

Whatever the reasons for disliking these individuals are, so much discussion of them is not good for the forum.

Whatever the reasons for disliking these individuals are, so much discussion of them is not good for the forum.

Then stop talking about it. Hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Then stop talking about it. Hypocrisy knows no bounds.

I'm not the one who is constantly bringing it up - that's the difference and that is why I am not a hypocrite.

I'm not the one who is constantly bringing it up - that's the difference and that is why I am not a hypocrite.

A quick glance through the forum would lead one to diasgree....

A quick glance through the forum would lead one to diasgree....

Perhaps you need to read things properly then as a quick glance has obviously given you the wrong impression.

Perhaps you need to read things properly then as a quick glance has obviously given you the wrong impression.

Quite the contrary...

• Advertisement

It would seem so.

OK
    I looked through your choice of video clip

I still fail to see where you point out that a driver was dissapointed to win a race?
    are you grasping at straws or something?
    you obviously are because it certainly must be the most ludicrous statement i heard from anyone.. I am surprised with you.. that you honestly believe such nonsence..

OK
    I looked through your choice of video clip

I still fail to see where you point out that a driver was dissapointed to win a race?
    are you grasping at straws or something?
    you obviously are because it certainly must be the most ludicrous statement i heard from anyone.. I am surprised with you.. that you honestly believe such nonsence..

I never said he looked disappointed - they were your words, not mine.

You asked to see an F1 driver who didn't look happy after winning. That is what I showed you.

anyway back on topic how great was jenson 2day:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Sweet jesus- its annoying trying to sieve through petty and irrelevant comments. Should'nt every post be related to the Monaco GP?
    And so not to contradict, another error by ferrari in not starting on the softer compound tyre. Would have liked if Rubens had got the win today but he didnt seem to look after his tyres as well as Jenson

I never said he looked disappointed - they were your words, not mine.

You asked to see an F1 driver who didn't look happy after winning. That is what I showed you.

Maybe you should concentrate on practicing what you preach when you said a few post up to rieman, when you said ""Perhaps you need to read things properly then as a quick glance has obviously given you the wrong impression. ""

as this is EXACTLY what I said :

Read it and weep dude

Sweet jesus- its annoying trying to sieve through petty and irrelevant comments. Should'nt every post be related to the Monaco GP?
    And so not to contradict, another error by ferrari in not starting on the softer compound tyre. Would have liked if Rubens had got the win today but he didnt seem to look after his tyres as well as Jenson

ya it would hav been nice if rubens had won instead if only to mix it up a bit, only seen the first 45min of the race so must watch the re-run tom, hope ferrari can improve more for the nxt race and put the brawns under abit of pressure.

I would have liked to have seen Rubens get the win too but he just doesn't seem to have the pace combined with the ability to use his tyres as well as Button does. It's a shame because it's starting to look more and more like he will be the closest thing Button will have to a real title rival this year. Once Rubens got ahead of Raikkonen at the start, it was Buttons race to throw away but of course, he didn't. I was a little surprised that Kimi didn't put more pressure on Rubens but I guess that's an indication of the degree of their superiority at the moment. Since Kimi couldn't put a lot of pressure on Rubens I don't buy into the idea that we would have had a much more exciting race if he had stayed ahead off the line and through the first corner. It seems more likely that he simply would have had his mirrors full of the Brawn until his first stop but Rubens would have jumped past him then - unless of course they had done as you suggested and gone with the soft tyre from the off. But perhaps they thought Rubens wasn't a threat and were even assuming that KERS would get them ahead of Button? Also, didn't most of the teams expect the soft tyre to hold up a lot better than it actually did? I remember hearing Ross Brawn saying as much yesterday so it does make Ferrari's decision more difficult to unerstand. It seems quite a few got caught out by that tyre (Vettel being the most obvious) so perhaps Ferrari had realised there might be a durability issue with it?

Maybe you should concentrate on practicing what you preach when you said a few post up to rieman, when you said ""Perhaps you need to read things properly then as a quick glance has obviously given you the wrong impression. ""

as this is EXACTLY what I said :

Read it and weep dude

What are you talking about?

You said "I have yet to see a driver that was not happy with a win" so I posted a link to the video where we can see a driver not looking happy after he has won.

Seriously, what is your point here?

Also, didn't most of the teams expect the soft tyre to hold up a lot better than it actually did? I remember hearing Ross Brawn saying as much yesterday so it does make Ferrari's decision more difficult to unerstand. It seems quite a few got caught out by that tyre (Vettel being the most obvious) so perhaps Ferrari had realised there might be a durability issue with it?

TBH I don't know, but I thought I heard on BBC in my hungover state that they were only expecting about 12 laps of good running on the softer tyres. Ferrari's tyre choice on Kimi makes sense to me, they were probably hoping that he could get ahead and make a decent lead before his first stop, with the Brawns struggling on their tyres. Leaving the softer tyres til the end was a good choice IMO, even if they do go off by 4 seconds a lap it's still quite possible at Monaco to keep someone behind you.
    Having said that it seems the Ferraris were much easier on the softer tyres than most teams were.

• Advertisement

ya it would hav been nice if rubens had won instead if only to mix it up a bit, only seen the first 45min of the race so must watch the re-run tom, hope ferrari can improve more for the nxt race and put the brawns under abit of pressure.

Time will tell but I think Monaco may have flattered the Ferrari's a little. We might just see a return to the established order at Silverstone and Turkey given the nature of the circuits.

anyway back on topic how great was jenson 2day:D:D

Yeah he did all he needed to get the win. Its a shame he hasnt been pushed hard for any of his victories. Had he been I wouldn't be so skeptical as to his world title credentials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

I was actually suprised to see Vettel getting caught out today. With regards to Ferrari- perhaps they did have a heads up about the quick degredation of the softer tyre. They should have, however, after seeing others drivers suffer with the softer tyre, gone for a longer middle stint and a splash and dash finish.

What are you talking about?

You said "I have yet to see a driver that was not happy with a win" so I posted a link to the video where we can see a driver not looking happy after he has won.

Seriously, what is your point here?

More to the point .. What is YOUR point.
    I said
    ""I have yet to see a driver that was not happy with a win"

I never once said nor hinted that I that I said "not LOOKING happy"

There is a difference there in case you dont understand plain english

amacachi wrote: »
    TBH I don't know, but I thought I heard on BBC in my hungover state that they were only expecting about 12 laps of good running on the softer tyres. Ferrari's tyre choice on Kimi makes sense to me, they were probably hoping that he could get ahead and make a decent lead before his first stop, with the Brawns struggling on their tyres. Leaving the softer tyres til the end was a good choice IMO, even if they do go off by 4 seconds a lap it's still quite possible at Monaco to keep someone behind you.
    Having said that it seems the Ferraris were much easier on the softer tyres than most teams were.

I would have thought it would make more sense to have Kimi do his short stint on the super-soft tyres since :
    a) The tyres would closely match the length of the stint he was on in the opening part of the race and he wouldn't have time to build up a useful lead since he was stopping early anyway.
    b) He would be on the same tyres at the same time as the Brawns were thus negating their performance advantage over a short run.

Ferrari would never openly say so but perhaps the strategy they were on never took the possibility of a win very seriously.

Button is doing now what Schumacher was doing in the boring years - he has a fast, reliable car under him and he is doing boring, but very very focused racing - doing exactly what needs to be done exactly when he needs to do it, and nothing else. He doesn't care what it looks like on camera, he doesn't care what the spectators are watching, he doesn't care what the journos or the other teams or Ecclestone think.

Only, and exactly, what needs to be done to win the race in front of him.

When you watch him, and you remember his appearance on Top Gear, you realise he really had this sort of steel in him all along, if you didn't know it already. He is going to be a very difficult man to beat, not just because of his car (The RBs were up on pace with him up until this race) but because he has the experience, the talent, and the focus to make sure nobody takes it from him.

• Advertisement

More to the point .. What is YOUR point.
    I said
    ""I have yet to see a driver that was not happy with a win"

I never once said nor hinted that I that I said "not LOOKING happy"

There is a difference there in case you dont understand plain english

Now you have seen a driver who didn't look happy after he won.
    Usually when someone looks unhappy, they are unhappy.
    It's quite straightforward really.

Yeah he did all he needed to get the win. Its a shame he hasnt been pushed hard for any of his victories. Had he been I wouldn't be so skeptical as to his world title credentials.

How can we judge any world champions credentials? Is it in the number of his victories or the manner of them? Is it in the dominance of his victory or the slenderness of it? Everyone has different criteria, so the debate always remains open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

But the soft tyres worked better at the end of the race and even if they were struggling on the soft at the end after all the pit stops its easer to defend/block someone from overtaking you where as if they used them at the start they could have been passed in the pits by Redbull or Williams and finished lower than they did.

Barrichello will never win a race as long as button is at brawn driving like he is at the moment. He is a bottler and dose not have a consistent race pace.
    Also when Barrichello was slow on the soft tyre the team should have called him in but they didn't they used him to back Kimi up and ended any chance he had of winning.

Button deserves his victories and position in the championshp, while I'm not happy that he is running away it, (no one good enough to challenge him a the minute) its much closer for the rest of the places so i can live with it and enjoy watching button drive usually perfect races. :cool:

I'm a F1 fan first Ferrari fan second and like most of the teams bar McLaren, not too bothered who wins every week provided its an entertaining race.

my previous comment was more a lighthearted comment to try and get everyone back on topic. i didnt think button was that great really.

i agree with you, id like to see him under pressure and see how well he can cope ,infairness a 37yr old rubens isnt going to be much competition over the whole season. at this rate button will hav this title wraped up by the end of summer, it seems its his title to loose now, nothing against button really he seems like a nice enough guy but considering he has done nothing for 8yrs and suddenly his world championship material is laughable.

the one big diffrence between button this year and the schumacher "boreing years" is in schumacher we got to see a living legend raceing every other sunday can you say the same about button?

b) He would be on the same tyres at the same time as the Brawns were thus negating their performance advantage over a short run.

Ferrari would never openly say so but perhaps the strategy they were on never took the possibility of a win very seriously.

What's the performance advantage matter around Monaco? No matter what tyres Raikkonen was on the result would have been the same once the fuel loads were in the cars.
    The strategy was poor, but not the tyre choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement