Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monaco GP Discussion

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Now you have seen a driver who didn't look happy after he won.
    Usually when someone looks unhappy, they are unhappy.
    It's quite straightforward really.

Miles apart in the real world but
    Whatever floats your boat bud,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

amacachi wrote: »
    What's the performance advantage matter around Monaco?

Very little, it's all about track position as we know. I know you may have taken me up wrong here - I was refering to Brawns performance advantage and was assuming that if Raikkonen was ahead that he would have been better off on the same tyre as them in the early going, what do you think?
    No matter what tyres Raikkonen was on the result would have been the same once the fuel loads were in the cars.
    The strategy was poor, but not the tyre choice.

I agree, the Brawn was just faster but what strategy would have seen Ferrari place any higher than they did today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

How can we judge any world champions credentials? Is it in the number of his victories or the manner of them? Is it in the dominance of his victory or the slenderness of it? Everyone has different criteria, so the debate always remains open.

ya everyone does hav diff criterias. for me someone who has landed in the best seat in f1 by accident doesnt make you world champion material, or someone who has done nothing for 8yrs. if i asked any of you in jan who your would put in your top 5 most talented drivers on the grid ,how many of you would hav put button in you list? he wouldnt hav made my top 10 that been honest, the only diffrence since jan is he happens to be driving the best car on the grid and he has grown in confidence because of it.

enzo7 wrote: »
    my previous comment was more a lighthearted comment to try and get everyone back on topic.

I know, and thank you for that, it was needed.
    i didnt think button was that great really.

What more could he have done that would make you change your opinion? He drove a faultless race.
    i agree with you, id like to see him under pressure and see how well he can cope ,infairness a 37yr old rubens isnt going to be much competition over the whole season. at this rate button will hav this title wraped up by the end of summer,

It's a good job the medals system isn't in place this year or else he would be very close to winning it.
    it seems its his title to loose now, nothing against button really he seems like a nice enough guy but considering he has done nothing for 8yrs and suddenly his world championship material is laughable.

He finds himself in a different situation now than he has even been before and is making the very best of it, how is that laughable? To me, it is highly commendable.

the one big diffrence between button this year and the schumacher "boreing years" is in schumacher we got to see a living legend raceing every other sunday can you say the same about button?

No we can't say that but maybe if he pulls it off this year and his success doesn't end there, we may all view him in a very different light two or three years from now.

vectra wrote: »
    Miles apart in the real world but
    Whatever floats your boat bud,

You're still here?
    Got anything to contribute to the discussion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

ya everyone does hav diff criterias. for me someone who has landed in the best seat in f1 by accident doesnt make you world champion material, or someone who has done nothing for 8yrs. if i asked any of you in jan who your would put in your top 5 most talented drivers on the grid ,how many of you would hav put button in you list? he wouldnt hav made my top 10 that been honest, the only diffrence since jan is he happens to be driving the best car on the grid and he has grown in confidence because of it.

Button in his debut year was regarded as a massive talent. He finished 3rd in 2004. Nobody doubts that a large part of his career has been wasted due to poor cars, poor decisions, and lack of focus, but you certainly can't say any of that about him this year.

You're still here?
    Got anything to contribute to the discussion?

Plenty to contribute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

t's a good job the medals system isn't in place this year or else he would be very close to winning it.
    This season just shows what a ridiculous idea it is, i think its scrapped now any way.

Button is a good driver when Honda came in to F1 they had high hopes and were interested in winning championships thats why they signed button to a long term contract. He was just unlucky they were crap :pac:

ya everyone does hav diff criterias. for me someone who has landed in the best seat in f1 by accident doesnt make you world champion material, or someone who has done nothing for 8yrs.

How did he land in the best seat by accident? He was part of the Honda team that developed the car he is now driving. The only difference is the engine and the name of the team. If anything it is the sign of a great driver (not saying he is) who is capable of helping to develop a great car.
    if i asked any of you in jan who your would put in your top 5 most talented drivers on the grid ,how many of you would hav put button in you list? he wouldnt hav made my top 10 that been honest, the only diffrence since jan is he happens to be driving the best car on the grid and he has grown in confidence because of it.

He would not have been in my top 5 and probably still wouldn't (yet) but you seem to be overlooking the fact that F1 is not like a single chassis formula, run to find the best driver. It is a twin competition between firstly teams and then drivers.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    This season just shows what a ridiculous idea it is, i think its scrapped now any way.

Button is a good driver when Honda came in to F1 they had high hopes and were interested in winning championships thats why they signed button to a long term contract. He was just unlucky they were crap :pac:

is it scrapped or just put off for a year?? it prob the stupidest idea ive head.

as for button ive never really rated him but he is in the best car this year and his confidence has grown because of it and maybe he is a better driver as a result anyway ,when (if) he does win the title ill be the first to say congrats.

• Advertisement

Plenty to contribute.

Funny that, since you have contributed nothing to this thread since it went back on topic except for a couple of attempts to drag me back into an argument with you.

So if you have plenty to contribute, why don't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I think BOTH of you should drop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

is it scrapped or just put off for a year?? it prob the stupidest idea ive head.
    It was in the new rules 2010 rules published recently, then they quietly removed it and it wasn't highlighted like the rest of the new changes for 2010 were, so i think its gone.
    He would not have been in my top 5 and probably still wouldn't (yet) but you seem to be overlooking the fact that F1 is not like a single chassis formula, run to find the best driver. It is a twin competition between firstly teams and then drivers.
    Go on post your top 5 drivers
    heres mine:
    Alonso
    Kimi
    Massa
    Hamilton
    Vettel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Very little, it's all about track position as we know. I know you may have taken me up wrong here - I was refering to Brawns performance advantage and was assuming that if Raikkonen was ahead that he would have been better off on the same tyre as them in the early going, what do you think?

I agree, the Brawn was just faster but what strategy would have seen Ferrari place any higher than they did today?

Once Raikkonen lost out into the first corner third was the best he could get. Had he been on the soft tyres he still would've gotten held up behind Barrichello like he did. It's all about track position and I can't see how any other tyre strategy could've improved Ferrari's finishing positions. On very wide-open tracks using the worst tyre at the end probably isn't a great idea, but for Monaco it's perfect, get the most out of the good tyres, get track position, then at the end hold your position with the rubbish tyres.

It was in the new rules 2010 rules published recently, then they quietly removed it and it wasn't highlighted like the rest of the new changes for 2010 were, so i think its gone.

heres mine:
    Alonso
    Kimi
    Massa
    Hamilton
    Vettel

My top 5
    Kimi
    Alonso
    Massa
    Vettel
    Button

Top five drivers (in my humble opinion)

Alonso
    Vettel
    Hamilton
    Kubica
    Raikkonen

heres mine:
    Alonso
    Kimi
    Massa
    Hamilton
    Vettel

oh hopefully!!

mine

1)alonso
    2)kimi
    3)massa/hamilton , icant decide between them as i like massa and i dont really like hamilton so i cant really give an unbiased answer.
    5)vettel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I always thought Button was an excellent driver who just didn't get a good shot. Probably in and around my top 5 always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

In no particular order and using 1st names just for the sake of it:

Kimi
    Nico
    Adrian
    Fernanando*
    Felipe

(*even though i cant stand the man)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Once Raikkonen lost out into the first corner third was the best he could get. Had he been on the soft tyres he still would've gotten held up behind Barrichello like he did. It's all about track position and I can't see how any other tyre strategy could've improved Ferrari's finishing positions. On very wide-open tracks using the worst tyre at the end probably isn't a great idea, but for Monaco it's perfect, get the most out of the good tyres, get track position, then at the end hold your position with the rubbish tyres.

But wasn't it the crap tyres that got the Brawns such a good start? Once they were past the first corner it didn't really matter how rubbish they then became, although they were lucky to not end up with Vettles set guess. Button speaking to Brundle before the start and they knew that the super softs were rubbish, but Button also seemed to suggest that he expected his to last longer than anyone elses sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Schumacher1

I am not talking just about this race.
    I am talking in general.. It is getting annoying listening to him screaming into the mike... Surely it comes as no surprise to him at this point.
    i dont think anyone on here dislikes jenson button for displaying happiness i think in was an innocent enough comment about how annoying he is when he starts wooping down the mic over getting a pole!! you dont get any points for that,

The guy has done 10 years and had 1 win in his 1st 100 races. He can do whatever he wants now. He has earned it the hard way.

Also his results from 2004 were fantastic against the most dominant ferrari.

In 2007 Hamilton comes into the best car on the grid. His results up to F1 were amazing and he deserved a shot, but look at Alonso, he spent 1 year in a back of the grid car then spent the next 2 working his arse off to get where he is now. So nearly a 3 time WDC. Thats why they do not like him. He didn't have to earn his F1 stripes.
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Yea you do need something a little extra to spice monaco up. That said I love all the pre race build up. Usually loads of people come out of the woodwork and start talking themselves up.

I dislike those people wandering around the pit lane and on the grid who are not fans,

Brundle : Hi there, who are you a fan of

Person : Oh no one, we were just here, its my 1st race to attend and watch at all AARGGGGGHH. Put real fans in there, I know we have no money.
    I think Eddie is more tongue in cheek than people realise. He's half serious and opinionated, which is a good trait for a talking head on a programme like this.

EJ came from an ordinary Irish background. He built up his own team into a winning team with 4 victories and a 1 - 2 at SPA (I know DC took MS out of the race and cost him the championship).

He has seen it all and will have my support for that. Also let DC speak more. I disliked him at Macca, but he won me over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Also let DC speak more. I disliked him at Macca, but he won me over.

This is why i hate mclaren so much. When DC was there i couldn't stand him, always being so nicey-nice and never saying or doing anything that might displease McLaren management. As soon as he went to Red Bull he started to speak his mind a bit more and we could finally see some personality. Even more so now that he's with the BBC. To me McLaren define the term straight laced and i find them incredibly boring.....

.....and a pack of cheating b's as well! Hehehe:D

Advertisement