Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New C&S Site

Options
  • 23-05-2009 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    First time posting here, but thought it a good place to get some feedback.

I have been working on the new Clubs and Societies site this semester and have just put it live. There is still a bug in it for Internet Explorer 5 and 6 so if you use those browsers you are directed to the old site.

I'm trying to make it look good, but more importantly make it a place full of information. It is hard because the majority of C&S seem to be particularly bad at actually giving you photos/information you request at Council.

Anyway, if you have comments/criticism/suggestions I'd like to hear them.

http://www.clubsandsocs.ul.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 quigleyguy

okoneill wrote: »
    Hi,
    First time posting here, but thought it a good place to get some feedback.

I have been working on the new Clubs and Societies site this semester and have just put it live. There is still a bug in it for Internet Explorer 5 and 6 so if you use those browsers you are directed to the old site.

I'm trying to make it look good, but more importantly make it a place full of information. It is hard because the majority of C&S seem to be particularly bad at actually giving you photos/information you request at Council.

Looks gaudy to be honest... Like The Dens site from around 1997.
    Try again i guess, and stick to simple colours and clean edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I quite like it, and I like the way it ties in the ULSU colours.

I also like the drop down menus on the welcome screen which allow you to jump to a specific Club or Soc but I think it's weird that those menus aren't standard throughout the site. I think it would make sense to have them on every page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

okoneill wrote: »
    Hi,

In the Clubs drop down menu you've got stuff like Men\'s Rugby and U\'L Dance appearing. Try using the stripslashes() function in php to remove the slashes from the strings if all your doing is outputting them from a DB.

Also why not just jump directly to the club or soc you pick in the menu rather than having to select it and then click the jump button....redundant clicks like that quickly become a pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 okoneill

rmacm:

I did the index page up quite quickly, thanks for pointing out the slashes, fixed now.

The reason for the 'Jump to' button is for accessibitily, if I was to remove the button, if you were for example looking for Skydive and you click the box and press 's' (as is intuitive enough with a lot of internet users) you would be brought to Sailings pages straight away. If there is a way of doing it so that the name must actually be clicked for the redirection to happen then I'd definately change it, but I haven't gotten time to look for that yet.

ergonomics:

When you say on every page, where would you mean?
    The list of all Clubs and Societies is available from the Clubs and Socs link.

quigleyguy:

I was stuck with the colours I used, I had to use the 3 colours that the SU approved as part of the new SU logo last year.

The old site was very sharp edged and dull. The idea was to be simple but interesting at the same time.

Advertisement