Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fermenting Bin with no bung?

• 23-05-2009 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

I recently bought my first kit, the bin i have doesn't have a bung or pressure release or bung on it. Its just a standard 5 gallon bin really.

Will it not explode?....

Does this matter? When will i know the fermenting has stopped and it can be bottled if i have to break the seal to open it?...

P.S. The Sticky thread is a great help!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It will not explode. Just don't seal the lid all the way round. The lid really just needs to sit on the bucket to stop stuff falling in, it doesn't need to be airtight. Fermentation will create a layer of carbon dioxide floating on top of the wort and that's what keeps it airtight, not the lid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Your best monitoring fermentation by gravity an not by airlock activity. If you want an airlock/bung the lids are usually easy to cut hole in to insert on in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dooleygav

Oh right, thats grand, i got a hygrometer with the kit too, so i can chek if its done in like four days by taking the lid off??

i thought i wud be wrecking the beer by doing that, thanks!

I'd say give it a week before the first reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

dooleygav wrote: »
    i thought i wud be wrecking the beer by doing that, thanks!

Just make sure you sterilise the hydrometer if you are putting it in the fementor

• Advertisement

will do!

So how good can a home brew taste?......

As good as a heineken or as good as a dutch gold?... :rolleyes:

I know it will depend on the mixture but on average....

I know it will depend on the mixture but on average....
    On average, if you want yellow lager, buy it pre-made in a tin or bottle. Without some serious temperature control gear you can't make lager at home. Beer kits which claim to be lager are actually blonde ales and, in my experience, taste awful.

However, ales of all stripes, stouts and wheat beers can be made at home to a standard higher than the majority of what's available commercially, even just using extract.

If your taste in beer extends beyond yellow fizz and/or Guinness, you're more likely to be a happy homebrewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

So how good can a home brew taste?......
    As good as a heineken or as good as a dutch gold?... :rolleyes:
    Easily better than either, especially when you set your bar that low.

kenmc wrote: »
    Easily better than either, especially when you set your bar that low.

Ha, i doubt that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Doubt what now?

• Advertisement
Advertisement