Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Players Released at the end of 08/09

• 23-05-2009 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

It's that time of year again, Irish players all over the UK released and must spend the summer searching for trials and clubs willing to give them a go.

Graham Barrett has been let go by St. Johnstone and Richie Partridge has been shown the door by Chester City. Two lads that, during their time at Arsenal and Liverpool respectively, were thought to be massive prospects for the national team. Barrett, in fairness to him, has 7 caps to his name and I can cast my mind back to a decent friendly performance against the Netherlands.

Billy Clarke has been released by Roy Keane. The man made something like 40 appearances for the Tractor Boys before he even turned 20.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Leeds released Jonathan Douglas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Liam Miller released by QPR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ekels wrote: »

Graham Barrett has been let go by St. Johnstone and Richie Partridge has been shown the door by Chester City. Two lads that, during their time at Arsenal and Liverpool respectively, were thought to be massive prospects for the national team. Barrett, in fairness to him, has 7 caps to his name and I can cast my mind back to a decent friendly performance against the Netherlands.

Rumours are that Barrett might be returning to Ireland to play in the LoI. His grandparents are my next door neighbours and they've always said he wanted to play at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Liam Miller - QPR
    Darren Potter - Wolves
    Barry Quinn - Oxford
    Harry Lee - Charlton
    Alan Bennett - Reading
    Gary Frewen - Reading
    Graham Barrett - St Johnstone
    Richie Partridge - Chester
    Barry Conlon - Bradford
    Colin Larkin - Northampton
    Diarmuid O'Carroll - Morcambe
    Fred Murray - Exeter
    Billy Clarke - Ipswich
    Barry Corr - Swindon
    Kevin Maher - Oldham
    Stephen O'Leary - Hereford
    Chris Fagan - Hamilton
    Michael Collins - Triestina,Italy.
    Conor McCormack - Triestina,Italy.
    Cian Hughton - Spurs
    Craig Mahon - Wigan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Liam Miller - QPR
    Darren Potter - Wolves
    Barry Quinn - Oxford
    Harry Lee - Charlton
    Alan Bennett - Reading
    Gary Frewen - Reading
    Barry Conlon - Bradford
    Fred Murray - Exeter
    Billy Clarke - Ipswich
    Barry Corr - Swindon
    Kevin Maher - Oldham
    Chris Fagan - Hamilton
    Cian Hughton - Spurs
    Craig Mahon - Wigan

Related to Chris?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

That_Guy wrote: »
    Related to Chris?
    Son.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Son.

Ah right thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Forgot about Diarmuid O'Carroll from Killarney also. He'll probably stay in England I'm hearing, try conference maybe.

Jonathan Douglas' release is surprising. He's been loyal to Leeds in the past year or so.

Ekels wrote: »
    Forgot about Diarmuid O'Carroll from Killarney also. He'll probably stay in England I'm hearing, try conference maybe.

Jonathan Douglas' release is surprising. He's been loyal to Leeds in the past year or so.

Douglas wasn't really playing that well. He was pretty woeful in the playoff game against Milwall.

Liam Miller - QPR
    Darren Potter - Wolves
    Barry Quinn - Oxford
    Harry Lee - Charlton
    Alan Bennett - Reading
    Gary Frewen - Reading
    Barry Conlon - Bradford
    Fred Murray - Exeter
    Billy Clarke - Ipswich
    Barry Corr - Swindon
    Kevin Maher - Oldham
    Chris Fagan - Hamilton
    Cian Hughton - Spurs
    Craig Mahon - Wigan

Conlon's signed permanently for Grimsby, he's safe.

Disappointed for Collins and McCormack. It was a massive call by them as I can remember them having other options on the table but they decided to head for Italy. It obviously wasn't a very good call but hopefully there'll be plenty clubs willing to snap them up.

I thought Chris Fagan had only just signed for Hamilton? He was in a recent Ireland u21 squad and it's only a month or two since I heard he had a trial with the mighty Huddersfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No confirmation yet, but there appears to be a good chance that Gibson will be released from United. Out of contract in the summer and I have heard no talk of him being offered one. Surprising considering how much he has been involved this season, and the praise Ferguson has given him on occasion.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Liam Miller released by QPR.
    I'd reckon he'll be signed by another Championship side, for a year anyway. Disappointing how he's career has gone. It was only 5 years ago he was signed by one of the best teams in Europe in the hope that he'd replace their captain.

No confirmation yet, but there appears to be a good chance that Gibson will be released from United. Out of contract in the summer and I have heard no talk of him being offered one. Surprising considering how much he has been involved this season, and the praise Ferguson has given him on occasion.
    It should be interesting to see how this one goes. I'd say he'll have plenty of interest though. Wolves may well want to sign him after a fairly successful loan period there.
    I can't see United wanting to hold onto him. They already have Scholes, Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson, Hargreaves (to come back) and Giggs (depending on how longer he stays) as established centre midfielders. Not to mention Possebon and Cleverly who are a couple of years younger. Tosic could end up in the middle too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Liam Miller should go back to Celtic......... they probably wouldnt have him back, but i think that would be a good move for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Steve Finnan still has a year left on his contract with Espanyol, but frankly I can see him moving after the nightmare season he's had there.

Barret going to rovers rumouringly.

Wants 3k a week :eek:

/in LOI thats madness, but the guy would score goals for fun over here, would love to see him at pats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Playing Football manager for the last few years managing League 2 clubs means I have sympathy for some of these guys even though I've never seen some of them kick a ball. Hell McCormack helped me win the world cup with Ireland :D and Barrett was an inspired signing at Macclesfield.

Easier times eh.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Wants 3k a week :eek:
    LOL

CiaranC wrote: »
    LOL

Its fine just do what Bohs do.

Commercial Manager: Barret
    Club Promotions Officer: Barret
    Office Administrator: Barret