Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Discone alternative

• 23-05-2009 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I bought a (cheap) DAB Log Periodic type antenna and connected it with Satellite co-ax to my Yupiteru and I can definately say this one is excellent from low VHF right up to UHF.
    It doesn't even need to point at the transmitting station to recieve it.
    The fact that it isn't a "scanner aerial" also adds to its effectiveness.
    Go get one!;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

do you have a link to the antenna in question?

just to give an idea of the performance, where there any long distance signals received?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Yeah, would be interested in a link, and also what antenna did you previously use? What are you comparing it against?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Spannerman14

Don't have a link to it unfortunately... However, it can be found in Maplins catalogue fairly easily..
    Have compared it to Marine Band di-pole, wide-band discone, and a dubious wide band vertical..
    For VHF it works extremely well (especially considering the cost), and it is fairly discreet too. Just ensure good quality co-ax, not RG58, especially on long runs...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Is this the one?
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/DiscontinuedModule.aspx?ModuleNo=29196

For VHF it should work well as DAB is somewhere around the 220MHz mark if I'm not mistaken. Obviously it's directional though so you need some way to rotate it if using for general use on a scanner.

It discontinued in Maplin for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can get Log Periodic Aerials for 170MHz to 300MHz in may electrial wholesales etc in MidWest Cork/Kerry Clare/Galway as Maghera and Mullaganish use Band III for RTE1 and RTE2.

A basic rotator is about 50 Euro. Takes up to 45kg load (WARNING inc windloading)
    Yes What little DAB we have is 220MHz.

75 Ohm CT125 or similar heavy duty sat cable is good. (I know the scanner is 50, but better to match the aerial, the scanner mismatch won't matter much)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Spannerman14

Ya I know that it's a directional antenna and that it is designed for the DAB band, but it works very well on my radio's throughout the VHF band.
    I have a folded dipole for UHF, a wideband vertical, plus a dipole for the Marine band.
    All am saying is that if you want a discreet antenna, well then this is an option..

Advertisement