Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food Presentation

Options
  • 23-05-2009 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭

Of course presentation is very important for the enjoyment of food but does anyone else get fed up with alot of contemporary ways of serving food in restaurants.

For instance, why does everything have to be 'on' something else?
    I'd like my fish/meat on the plate, thanks very much.
    If it on "a bed" of puréed whatever, I always end up having to take it off before eating it.
    I suppose what I'm saying is, I hate having to 'dismantle' my food before I can eat it!!

And don't start me on the stupid language used on many restaurant menus!

What irks people about restaurant food and menus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

One advantage of putting something on a purée of whatever, is to elevate it; height differences can give a pleasing aspect to presentation. Also to stop it sliding around on the plate, but most likely it's because someone else does the same thing.

Menus: Overly wordy and lengthy descriptions. Typos. Descriptions not matching the food on the plate. French/Foreign terms that only chefs would be familiar with. Service charge not mentioned.

Food: Inedible garnishes - I've seen whole dried chillies served with a curry before :confused: Thoughtless presentation. Lifeless lettuce/tomato/cucumber "salad" garnish. Cold plates.

I prefer having something simple, just a few components to the dish, each one made with care and attention, and not a whole lot "going on" on the plate, rather than something complex and overwhelming. The basics done right beats the pants off fancy pants stuff any day :)

Advertisement