Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

palming a basketball

• 23-05-2009 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I was wondering is palming a basketball down to a very large hand span or grip strength or both.I can barely palm it at the moment but would grip training help or is it just simply down to the circumference of the ball you are able to hold?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Hand size would be the main reason, basketballs don't weigh that much so grip strength wouldn't help I think. John Stockton had monstrously big hands for his size.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Xrox

I agree with lafortezza big hands is a major advantage but not necessary tho. I have tiny hands for my size and thought i would never be able to do it but over a few years of trying and just plain handling a ball i was able to achieve it and after all this years i still am.

The way in which you grab the ball itself can help alot try to use the seems(grooves) on the ball to grip with your finger tips. Also spread you thumb as far away from your main group of fingers as this will allow you to force pressure on the ball between your thumb and the other 4 fingers.

You may only be able to hold the ball for a micro second this way but with time and practise youll be able to palm it not a bother

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I have piss-weak hands but have been able to palm a ball from the time I was a teenager - long fingers and fairly wide hands is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

would you not be better off practicing a skill that would improve your game

old boy wrote: »
    would you not be better off practicing a skill that would improve your game

LoL so true i neve even thought of mentioning that to him, as palming improves nothing at all in your game not dribbling not shooting not even dunking (unless you can hold it like a size 3 ball) :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I was thinking of mentioning that it wasn't top on ones list of skills to learn first but your right nonetheless.

Ah just giving you a hard time :P but any personal work put into improving your own game which will help improve the standard of irish basketball, cos if we all up our game the game here will become better. So keep up the work no matter what part of your game it is on ;)

Advertisement