Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basking Sharks on the East coast

Options
  • 23-05-2009 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Myself and a friend spotted a big basking shark (dorsal fin 18 to 24 inches) about 500m off Bray seafront earlier today. We were out fishing in a small boat and I think we disturbed it - the fin popped up in front of the boat and disappeared again within seconds. We waited around but it didn't surface again. There was very little plankton visible in the water so it probably wouldn't have been feeding. I was wondering if anyone else has seen any basking sharks off the East coast this year? I have seen plenty off the South and West but this is the first one I've seen in years off the East coast, especialy this close to shore.

It was definitely a basker - I've seen many over the years and they can't be confused with the resident porpoises and dolphins in the area;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

I thought I heard of some off the Dublin coast recently, but nothing
    is on the IWDG.ie. you should report it to them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

They show up in Malahide every summer, usually near Lambbay island.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ISTR there was a report in the free Wicklow Times rag we get pushed through the door about basking sharks being seen off Greystones south beach recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Hobo65

A Basking Shark about 4m was spotted at sailing club slip in Wicklow Harbour in last week just prior to Swim Club getting in the water:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishmarinelife

Check out http://baskingshark.ie/ to report a sighting

:)
    Irishmarinelife

http://irishmarinelife.wordpress.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

also if any sightings in the west, namely nw Mayo, please contact me through jameskeating@galwaydiving.com as we are conducting a survey of baskers in the area.

thanks

james

Advertisement