Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

State of Origin 2009

• 23-05-2009 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,
    I'm an aussie who has just moved to Cork. Does anyone know any pubs that will show the State of Origin live? I believe it will be on about 11am Ireland time. I'd love to meet up with anyone else who'll be watching the game.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Hey swilly,

Unfortunately, Ireland is full of heathens when it come to the great game of RL (more proof that there is no God, I mean how can my country men be so enamoured of a low-skill, kick based borefest like union while the treat that is RL lies languishing and unloved?)...

As I'm not based in Ireland, I can't be much help to you, but you might try a post on here...www.rli.ie. Most of the guys are helpful and if they know of anywhere to watch they'll let you know.

Spare a thought for me, I'm going to be in bleedin' Italy and thus, haven't a farts chance in wind tunnel of seeing the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭mountain

Hi Swilly,

welcome to cork,
    Setanta have the rights to SOO as far as i know, most of the pubs will have setanta, and im sure they will be happy to turn it on for you, if they dont, just try the next one,

Its not as if there will be any thing else on at that time of the morning...

cmon the maroons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

mountain wrote: »
    Hi Swilly,

welcome to cork,
    Setanta have the rights to SOO as far as i know, most of the pubs will have setanta, and im sure they will be happy to turn it on for you, if they dont, just try the next one,

Its not as if there will be any thing else on at that time of the morning...

cmon the maroons!

If setanta have the game they have an online service as well

may be an option toome boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

State of Origin .. it's like Christmas, only better :)

Cannot bloody wait for this game.....roll on 10:30

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

****in Leaving Cert. :mad:

amacachi wrote: »
    ****in Leaving Cert. :mad:

Good luck mate, takes me back....:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

damn forgot about this, stream here

http://www.justin.tv/kostaz007

Superb game of rugby. Queensland played football from another planet for the first 50-55 minutes. Lockyer, Thursten, Folau, Slater...just amazing players. It was a testament to NSW that they weren't trolleyed off the park and managed to come back and make a game of it, but really only one team deserved to win that game. Reckon the Blues will take a lot from it though Sets up Origin II nicely...A superb game of footie...catch it if you can.

it was pretty wonderful to watch for sure. I do feel though that Queensland were never going to actually lose the game and could always grab back another try at will if it came close enough (which it did).

*says he, a former Bronte, Sydney, NSW boy living in Ireland who has fallen in love with Queensland in recent years and hopes to retire there not soon enough*

golly I love this game above all others :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

NSW were robbed. That first try to Hayne was fine. Momentum changed from there. Booooo to the referee

ya reckon? I thought it a fair decision and that you could clearly see his foot touch the line.

Maccattack wrote: »
    NSW were robbed. That first try to Hayne was fine. Momentum changed from there. Booooo to the referee

NSW were in no way robbed, they were second best on the day to the gifted Queenslanders. Fair play to NSW for a gritty effort to stay in touch, but the maroons were absolutely brilliant and a joy to watch from a neutral perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Anyone know where I can find schedule for rest of the series (with Irish kick off times)? Saw some of game 1, good stuff. I'm not a big RL fan, but Origin is an exception.

Trojan wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can find schedule for rest of the series (with Irish kick off times)? Saw some of game 1, good stuff. I'm not a big RL fan, but Origin is an exception.

Origin II's on Wed June 24th, and III's on july 15th....I know Setanta are covering both games live and I'm assuming the KO's Irish time would be around the 10:30 am mark...the games are currently too far off for any Setanta scheduler I can find, but if you check the setanta web site in a week or so you should get Origin II's GMT KO time....

I'll keep me eyes peeled for any further info...

Thanks Toom. Really surprised it's so long between games - makes it difficult to track the series.

We may be in trouble here...:eek: Prognosis not good for Setanta. hope they stay going until the end of the series....

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article6445881.ece

crikey, well that's put a damper on the day

Confirming Origin II on Setanta Sports 1 on Wed:

10:30 Live: New South Wales vs Queensland
    Live rugby league action from game two of the 2009 State of Origin series between New South Wales and Queensland at the ANZ Stadium, Sydney. The Maroons of Queensland lead the series after a 28-18 win in game one

Trojan wrote: »
    Confirming Origin II on Setanta Sports 1 on Wed:

10:30 Live: New South Wales vs Queensland

Excellent, thanks for that. This is going to be an epic, I can sense it in me bones.

• Advertisement

toomevara wrote: »
    Excellent, thanks for that. This is going to be an epic, I can sense it in me bones.
    I can feel it in me water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Just in case anyone missed the first game here are the highlights

Oh dear, Setanta gone into administration....still broadcasting in Ireland,but shortly to cease in the UK.Wonder if Sky will pick up the origin games?

Oh dear, Setanta gone into administration....still broadcasting in Ireland,but shortly to cease in the UK.Wonder if Sky will pick up the origin games?

I'd be surprised, but at the same time I was always surprised that Setanta rather than Sky got the NRL rights in the first place, thought Murdoch would've preferred to see it on Sky.
    Doubt there'll be any picking up of NRL or SoO for the rest of the year, really hope I'm proven wrong though.

amacachi wrote: »
    I'd be surprised, but at the same time I was always surprised that Setanta rather than Sky got the NRL rights in the first place, thought Murdoch would've preferred to see it on Sky.
    Doubt there'll be any picking up of NRL or SoO for the rest of the year, really hope I'm proven wrong though.

Looks like I'm stuffed for tomorrows game. Apparently will cease broadcasting in the UK this eve...Oh why couldn't they have hung on for one more feckin' day!!!!! harumph....hope one of you guys will stick up a match report tomorrow!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Can you not stream it toom?

Myp2p.eu will have links for it!

Looks like I'm stuffed for tomorrows game. Apparently will cease broadcasting in the UK this eve...Oh why couldn't they have hung on for one more feckin' day!!!!! harumph....hope one of you guys will stick up a match report tomorrow!!!

I certainly will. For the little use my reporting might have to you. :P
    We'll probably lose it before the last match anyway.

ah man, the stress of having to sit through another Origin game in half an hour when I'd rather be working totally wrecks my head :D

Go Queensland!!!!

old gregg wrote: »
    ah man, the stress of having to sit through another Origin game in half an hour when I'd rather be working totally wrecks my head :D

Go Queensland!!!!

Yah boo sucks!!!,jammy git...I'm on shift at midday...sigh....

• Advertisement

Well anyone signing in? Should be a cracker!

Too easy for Inglis powers his way over the defence all from NSW getting a bit light headed at the other end of the field.

How sh1t is David Williams? Can't go into contact without loosing the ball.

Nice intercept, try NSW finally. Don't think I'll be watching the 2nd half though, this is far from quality football.

Nice punch up there.

Bit more interesting now - Reds had a good try denied by TMO 5 mins ago, now NSW get a controversial try just before the half.

QL 18-10 NSW, half-time.

• Advertisement

Wolfman makes up for his 2 mistakes earlier with a shove over try in the corner. QL stil still lead, but only 18-14 now (conversion missed).

Great try for Williams, QSL are tiring now NSW should snatch this one.

6 mins left, hard to call this.

Wolf man getting grief for kicking ahead on the 1st.

QL are very tired but I don't think NSW are good enough to take this (but I hope they do).

QL try wins the game, the series, the 4 series in a row record.

QL 24-14 NSW, full time.

I thought it was quite a poor game for the neutral, particularly the 1st half was desperate. Alternative view: Aussie commentary loved it because of the NSW comeback in the 2nd.

NSW will feel let down by Williams. Cost them dearly in this game.

• Advertisement

Stev_o wrote: »
    NSW will feel let down by Williams. Cost them dearly in this game.
    That's true. strange one that. There were times last year when he looked like being a future great. Today he just looked like the weakest link.

Williams was awful tonight.

Really NSW should've just kicked any time they got the ball in their own half, don't think I've ever seen such shambolic play tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭terencemc

The great game of rugby league...what an appalling game.
    Look at all the tries except one from the game, all caused by incompetence by the defending team...running straight between 2 players a yard apart after 20mins to score a try...Pathetic to think that this is the culmination of a rugby league year. The sport is boring, slow, broken, repetitive.
    Basically it takes everything that is good about union and gets rid of it. call me snobbish but this game can stick with the working class morons who play it.

terencemc wrote: »
    Look at all the tries except one from the game, all caused by incompetence by the defending team...running straight between 2 players a yard apart after 20mins to score a try...Pathetic to think that this is the culmination of a rugby league year. The sport is boring, slow, broken, repetitive.
    Basically it takes everything that is good about union and gets rid of it. call me snobbish but this game can stick with the working class morons who play it.

And of course every Union game is top class.:rolleyes:

There have been some fantastic games so far in this year's NRL, the SL hasn't been fantastic, though Sky seem to have managed to choose the wrong match every week. :P
    But really, go have fun watching the game of ping pong Union has become, we'll just wallow on this little corner of the site. :)

terencemc wrote: »

Thanks for that stellar contribution to the RL forum....If you don't like the game don't post on the forum...now toddle off and do your trolling elsewhere, there's a good gentleman....

So what are the chances the maroons will look for a 3 nil whitewash now? If NSW can't get up for the series clincher i fail to see how they could get up for a meaningless match =/

I reckon the maroons will very much have a whitewash in sight. Footy is a take no prisoners type of game to many folks in Oz.

From a NSW perspective I reckon they'll go for it just to save some face. You could likely see some old favourites like Nathan Hindmarsh being selected if even to reduce the mistakes and bring a bit of confidence back into the team.

As an aside, was it just my imagination or were many of the on field/video refs/touchies angling for a NSW win just to keep the interest going into the last game? Sort of explains some of the less than brilliant decisions that were made in the 2nd half .. that 2nd Hayne try and the impromptu scrum by the guy playing the ball and locking the 2 defenders in front .. I'm a big fan of Tony Archer as a ref but for thre rest of them it just seemed a little contrived .. like watching the last 10 mins of a GAA semi final that inevitably ends in a draw :p

ever notice how the sun always shines on an Origin day, even in Ireland?
    :):D:)

Well, that was an interesting last 2(0) mins!

Gotta love the Aussie commentators - "It's all kicking off! Get in there! Can we have another game next week?". Irish commentry would be saying "It's a disgrace and a great shame for the sport".

"Can we have another game next week?"

:p

hell yea! I'd watch footy like that all day long .. thought Kimmorley was wonderful. He was a key player for the Sharks and is for the Dogs this year and should have been in the NSW team from the start. He's the sort of player who unites those around him and spurs them on to better things.

O dear, I'm starting to sound like an Aussie comentator ... typing this with 3 broken arms and both eyes bandaged over but still I battle on because this is Origin :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement