Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to do psychology in ucc

Options
  • 23-05-2009 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi i want to do psychology in ucc as a mature student but have no idea how to do so?
    Can anyone give my any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

BlueDragon wrote: »
    Hi i want to do psychology in ucc as a mature student but have no idea how to do so?
    Can anyone give my any advice please?

It's extremely difficult to get into. There are only 3 places for mature students. I was 23 last June so I applied this year through the cao for a place in September. You need to increase you chances of getting in as much as possible. What I did was this, from January to May of 2008 I did a part time introduction course to Psychology in the College of Commerce. It was only once a week and for about 2 hours but was very good.

Then I applied for the full time level 5 Psychology course they have there and I started that last September and just finished 2 weeks ago. It is a great course and of course it goes some way in helping your application.

Here's the thing though, you need to score well in the MSAP. I got an overall mark of 64 in my MSAP and didn't get called for an interview. My housemate scored 71 and got called. So, straight away i'm out of the running for a straight up Psychology Degree, which was my first choice.

There is another way though. You can study Psychology through Arts. That is my second choice. The catch is that if you want to go on and do a Masters in Psychology you first need to do a 2 year Higher Diploma before you can do the Masters. This is to bring you up to the same level as someone who did the straight up Psychology degree because when you do it through Arts it isn't as in depth, as you have other subjects to contend with.

On top of all that make sure your personal statement is very good.

I should know in the next few weeks whether or not i've gotten into the Arts Degree.

I hope the above has been of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BlueDragon

Thanks for the advise it really helped
    Can you tell me more about this course in the college of commerce?
    I think i might do it? do you have any links?
    Can you tell me about the fees and dates too?
    Also what is the MSAP?
    Thanks again

Hey. Here's a link to the course I just finished in the College of Commerce.

http://www.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie/...sychology.html

Like I mentioned in the thread, it was a great course but their are some subjects in the course that are pretty awful but are compulsory unfortunately. The main subjects though, Psychology, Experimental Methods and Social Studies are all great. I'm not sure of the fee's. I think it costs around €300 or so. I was exempt from the fees though as I was unemployed and on social welfare for a year at the time I started the course.

Now, the MSAP is only new. It was introduced this year. It's for all Mature students who are applying to College of Arts, Celtic Studies and Social Sciences, University College Cork and the College of Arts and Celtic Studies and College of Human Sciences, University College Dublin. It's literally an aptitude test to determine who is capable of going through University for a few years. Here's a link to the site.

http://msap.acer.edu.au/

Anyway I would definitely recommend the course in the College of Commerce. Every bit helps and you can't apply to UCC until next year anyway so you have nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

T.W.H Byron-Have you received any offers yet?

Were you in AP 1.3

shezer wrote: »
    T.W.H Byron-Have you received any offers yet?

Were you in AP 1.3

I was indeed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement