Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glendalough to Glenmalure

Options
  • 23-05-2009 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'd like to know if its possible to walk from Glendalough to Glenmalure. And how long would it take. and would it be easy for an inexperienced person to do. We're thinking about doing it in 2 cars. ie. parking in Glendalough and walking across the mountains to Glenmalure then driving back to pick up the first car. thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mountaingoat

The Wicklow Way goes from Glendalough to the cross roads at Drumgoff. The distance is approximately 15km. While this is well marked with Wicklow Way posts if you are unfamiliar you will need to carry a map as the area is somewhat remote - I'd recomment the Harvey's map.

More details here:

http://www.wicklowway.com/trail-description/glendalough-glenmalure.php

If you are fairly comfortable with map reading I would recommend you loop off the Wicklow Way and follow the spink path and rejoin the Wicklow way on Mullacor - a little more challenging, but worth it for the spectacular view of Glendalough.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It's short enough and realitivly easy but I wouldn't consider it a particularly nice walk to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's short enough and realitivly easy but I wouldn't consider it a particularly nice walk to be honest.
    ??? I love that section. I think it's fantastic. Amazing climb out of Glendalough up those steps, views over Glenmalure valley.. Amazing.

Different horses for courses I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

??? I love that section. I think it's fantastic. Amazing climb out of Glendalough up those steps, views over Glenmalure valley.. Amazing.

Different horses for courses I suppose!

I seem to rememeber a lot of road on it but I suppose I could be thinking of Glenmalure south to the next valley instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are a few different ways of doing it as well, depending on where exactly in Glenmalure you want to end up. You could go Derrybawn, Cullentragh, across to Shay Elliot and then over Carriglineen to the Glenmalure Lodge, or over to Mullacor, pick up the Wicklow Way for a bit and then drop down to the Picnic/Barbecue/Recreation area or whatever they call it now about half way along the valley. Or head up the top of the Glenealo valley, across to Connavalla and drop down to the track leading back down to baravore, or head to Lugduff and parachute down to Baravore :) (Actually there is a route down, but it's not that easy).

Most of these will require navigation skills though, and wouldn't be for beginners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Glendalough to Glenmalure, along the wicklow way, is one leg of the Wicklow Way Relay.

See:
    http://www.wicklowway.com/trail-maps/glendalough-glenmalure.php
    for a map of the route.

Also see: http://imra.ie/events/view/id/612/

There's a word doc there: http://www.imra.ie/ad-hoc/WWR%20leg%20descriptions.doc
    with a description of the route.

It's about 14k.
    The (running) record is 53minutes (!)
    So it's probably 2/3 hours comfortable walk.

It's a bit remote in the middle, so bring the right kit, map, know what you are doing, etc.

This route is mostly on trails and paths, it's not the most dramatic, but it's pretty nice; be careful not to make wrong turns, there's a few tricky junctions.

Advertisement