Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen spotlights not working???

• 23-05-2009 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Anyone help me here. I put 8 spotlights in the kitchen about a year ago and fed them from the ceiling rose in a loop and they have been working fine. I was away afew days ago and my wife said she went to turn them on and they blew so i changed all the bulbs when I came back yesterday thinking that would solve the problem but they still arent working... Any ideas?? The fuse did trip in the hall but they are all up now and no other lights are gone....
    :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

check power at the first spot anyhow if you wired them round in t&e from old pendant.are they gu10s?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭tunner

Yeah they are GU10's. Since I put these lights in I have carpeted teh upstairs which is where I originally got access to the ceiling (lifted the Tongue and Groove) so access now is impossible. It would have hardly come loose though would it? I have them on a dimmer, would that be it? strange how it all happened now though after 1 year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

tunner wrote: »
    Yeah they are GU10's. Since I put these lights in I have carpeted teh upstairs which is where I originally got access to the ceiling (lifted the Tongue and Groove) so access now is impossible. It would have hardly come loose though would it? I have them on a dimmer, would that be it? strange how it all happened now though after 1 year...

The dimmer would be the first thing i would check. Change it for a normal 2 way switch.

Have you checked for voltage at the fittings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

ya could be the dimmer. 8 is a lot of these halogens on a regular dimmer .i would look at changing to energy savers and a regular switch.btw can you not access spots from kitchen ceiling,just pull them down?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭tunner

davelerave wrote: »
    ya could be the dimmer. 8 is a lot of these halogens on a regular dimmer .i would look at changing to energy savers and a regular switch.btw can you not access spots from kitchen ceiling,just pull them down?

Can you get energy saving spot lights??

I can get access to the fittings on each spotlight but the wire coming from the rose is more difficult and involved drilling some of the joists.... dont ask!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Can you get energy saving spot lights??
    I would guess that you mean downlighters like the one below, but either way the answer is yes.

ir.JQ3051ss.400.jpg

Try Megaman they have a great collection of energy efficient lamps that will fit into your current light fittings (generally!). They will even deliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 daveyb20

Its the dimmer switch that is not working if its 8 x 50 watt gu10 lamps your using..dimmer switch is normally only rated for 600watt switching so once a lamp blows it blows the dimmer switch aswell

Advertisement