Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Nest from house build

Options
  • 23-05-2009 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi There,

We are currently building our house and today I found a nest in the rafters with two birds flying in and out through an opening in the roof.
    Now the problem is that this opening will be closed during next week and we will start slabbing in about a month or so.
    Bottom line is that I need to move it in a few days but I don't want to damage any eggs that may be in it, or stop the parents birds getting to it when I move it. Any ideas??? Oh I think it's a swallow nest.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Prob swallows or house-martins. They've just come back to Ireland from Africa in the past fortnight, so it would be unlikely that they've laid eggs yet.

We have a swallow nest on the side of our house and they come back year after year. I'd never think of removing it as it's supposed to bring some very bad luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

What I do know is you need to put on gloves or rub your hands in some drit before you handle the nest many birds will abandon a nest touched by humains.

If there are eggs or young in them try contacting http://www.animalmagic.ie they are great to get advice from on any wild life question.

Advertisement