Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformer Advice

Options
  • 23-05-2009 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭

Throughout my house I have spotlights, the whole house was rewired back in 2005. However I have been having problems on and off the last year or so, with certain lights not working only for say a few hours or a day and suddenly start working again for a few hours/days and the whole process repeats itself. I have been told that the transformers need replacing, and I intend getting an electrician in.

However my question relates to the transformers and are their differnt quality of transformers, someone told me their was,I would obviously like to try and get the best quality ones I can get, any advice? tks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Throughout my house I have spotlights, the whole house was rewired back in 2005. However I have been having problems on and off the last year or so, with certain lights not working only for say a few hours or a day and suddenly start working again for a few hours/days and the whole process repeats itself. I have been told that the transformers need replacing, and I intend getting an electrician in.

However my question relates to the transformers and are their differnt quality of transformers, someone told me their was,I would obviously like to try and get the best quality ones I can get, any advice? tks.

they may be overheating or faulty.could be connection trouble too.get a sparkie to take a look

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

they may be overheating or faulty.could be connection trouble too.get a sparkie to take a look
    + 1

There is a thermal cut out switch in many modern downlighter transformers. If they get too hot they simply turn off until they cool down. It is not a good idea to depend on this though! Often the transformer gets too hot because it is wrapped in insulation. Other times it is because it is overloaded. Either way it needs to be sorted.
    However my question relates to the transformers and are their differnt quality of transformers
    Very much so! IMHO the best transformers you can buy are IBL. Robus are good too. I would be disappointed if I had to pay over €10 per traffo.

These transformers are dimmable (allow dimming of the lamps), not all are. With better quality transformers your lamp life is also extended due to better voltage regulation. In other words the output (that feeds the lamp) does not exceed the rating of the lamp or fluctuate.

It is also best to have 1 transformer per light fitting.

Advertisement