Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So how the hell does this work

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Guill

Tried three different models on VRT Calculator, the all work out in the region of 5000E, Thats for an 05.

2005 '55' BMW 5 Series 520d 4dr : £12.229 = 13,893E (XE.com)
    VRT = 5000E

Total: 18 893E

Usually sell for 22,000 to 30,000 (Carzone.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

€22-30k? That's quite a price range!

What happened your VAT?

The price range goes from lower spec to higher spec, obviously you would have to select a certain spec model and research yourself but the websites i used when buying are all there.

Watya mean what happened to the VAT?

VRT can be calculated on VRT.ie aswell,
    Before we went people were always sayin that the calculator is sh*** and i had to pay 1K or 2K more when i actually brought the car back home, but i rang the VRT office and asked them about it and the lady there told me that people put the wrong information into the computer when calculating it themselves and that they even use the same calculator when you ring the up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Guill wrote: »
    The price range goes from lower spec to higher spec, obviously you would have to select a certain spec model and research yourself but the websites i used when buying are all there.

Watya mean what happened to the VAT?

VAT in the UK is 15% and is charged in Ireland @ 21.5%.

Revenue.ie says

Second-hand vehicles purchased by a private individual from a private individual in another country

Where a private individual in Ireland purchases a second-hand vehicle (but not a 'new means of transport' – see below) from a private person in another country, there is no VAT element included in the price, nor is there any VAT liability in Ireland. The vehicle must be registered by the end of the day following the day on which it arrives in Ireland. This must be done at the icon_word_small.giflocal VRO office (MS Word, 51KB). The VRT liability can be calculated using the VRT Calculator on the Revenue website.

New means of transport is defined by the revenue as a vehical that has less than 6000km or less the 6 months since it has entered into service, the garage in england pay there own VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

New means of transport is defined by the revenue as a vehical that has less than 6000km or less the 6 months since it has entered into service, the garage in england pay there own VAT.

But the 40K figure quoted above was for a brand new 520d with leather, so VAT should certainly be included in the costs.

Its like anything you buy, Vat is either included or not, make sure to ask tho.

• Advertisement

OK, so you have no clue. Here's how it works: if you buy a new car in the UK, you get the UK VAT refunded, and you pay Irish VAT. The Irish VAT is more then the UK VAT, so if you just take the new UK price and add VRT, you have the wrong answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

But if UK VAT is included in the pricing you are posting, it needs to be removed (it can be reclaimed afterwards) for vehicles under 6 months old / less than 6,000km, and ROI VAT @ 21.5% needs to be paid.

OK, we're getting way OT now. Let's reign it back in or start another thread.

I just wanted to see how informed the advice the OP was getting was.

OP, if you're seriously considering importing, make sure to read this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=176389

No my point is that you can by a new car over there and pay 21% vat here or you can but one that is 6 months old upwards with more than 6000 miles on it and pay NO VAT, a dealer will have to pay the VAT, private buyers will not. Save money and get a cheaper car, just buy a low mileage second hand car, and there are alot of them in england.

just buy a low mileage second hand car, and there are alot of them in england.

Sure, but that doesn't explain why phonebox thinks he can buy and import a brand new 520d from the UK, including travel, 5 star accomodation and a show, for less than 40K, when Irish list is about 50K.

A new 520d price i seen there now on net in england £29973

= English VAT of £4495.

Price before irish Vat: £24477. (100%)

Inc Irish Vat: £30 827 (121%)

VRT would prob be high. i dont have time to work it out and it has to be converted to euro also

• Advertisement

VRT would prob be high. i dont have time to work it out and it has to be converted to euro also

So your advice to the OP is that by importing they'll save thousands, but when you're supplying example numbers you either ignore VAT or don't have time to do the full numbers beyond converting exchange rates via xe.com?

I don't mean to annoy you about this, but I don't see how this kind of advice is helping the OP or advancing the conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

-Chris- wrote: »
    Same for PC World - do they stock netbooks and Apple Macs or quad-core gaming megamachines?

yes, they do, all of them

yes, they do, all of them

PC World's UK site lists 13 gaming machines and 163 "normal" computers - laptops, desktops etc.

I.E. 77% of their product range is aimed at the average user.
    I'm sure if you had info of how many HP PCs they stocked vs how many gaming PCs, you'd find that percentage would be higher again.

My point holds - the average business will stock the items most likely to sell first. Especially when funds are tight and their product is very customisable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

PC World's UK site lists 13 gaming machines and 163 "normal" computers - laptops, desktops etc.

I.E. 77% of their product range is aimed at the average user.
    I'm sure if you had info of how many HP PCs they stocked vs how many gaming PCs, you'd find that percentage would be higher again.

My point holds - the average business will stock the items most likely to sell first. Especially when funds are tight and their product is very customisable.

true, the one thing i never liked about irish car dealers was, even in the good times they never had a full spec model on the floor, it was always the basic or just above basic,

We had VERY full spec A4s, A6s & a Q5 in the last year. They're what are called model introduction cars, their point is to show customers "this is what an A4 can really do, isn't it impressive?".

All of these cars were in stock for far longer than normal models would have been, and all were sold at substantial discounts.

The Irish market tends to favour the largest car in the smallest engine and lowest spec possible. Size has been the overriding factor for a while.

I like the full spec cars. I recently drove an A6 that had basically everything. It was eyeopening and made me really appreciate the technology & sophistication that Audi are capable of. I loved it.
    If I took it into stock, I'd have to find a customer who liked that colour, those alloys, that interior, and wanted those specific (€15k worth of) options.
    It's a bit of a gamble tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Getting back to looking for an A4 Avant, OP have you tried Sheehy Motors in Naas? As they supply both Aldi and Lidl with their vast amounts of A4 Avants (and A6 and A8's) they always have some in stock. I think I saw a black one there last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If I took it into stock, I'd have to find a customer who liked that colour, those alloys, that interior, and wanted those specific (€15k worth of) options.
    It's a bit of a gamble tbh...

I'd probably buy something like that from a showroom, but in general, it'd be more likely that I'd drive that, then ask for a minor variation on the aesthetic spec, like alloys, leather colour, pearlescent paint etc...

Now if it wasn't the top spec model in the showroom, I'd probably be put off buying, whereas if I wanted a lower spec, you could tell me what I wouldn't get....that'd also lead to more people buying higher spec cars, as they wouldn't like to think there's something out there that they can have, but don't.

If you then sold it as a 3/5 year finance package instead of 2/3, odds on you'd have a much happier customer.

Marketing in this country is crap, because anyone I know in the marketing field really doesn't give a **** about spec, they're more interested in having the best Cornflakes or Westlife ad.

So your advice to the OP is that by importing they'll save thousands, but when you're supplying example numbers you either ignore VAT or don't have time to do the full numbers beyond converting exchange rates via xe.com?

I don't mean to annoy you about this, but I don't see how this kind of advice is helping the OP or advancing the conversation.

The advice is to use the links i used to calculate all, i cant do it, some people have work to do.

Give a man a fish Blah Blah Blah
    Teach a man to fish Blah Blah Blah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

As they supply both Aldi and Lidl with their vast amounts of A4 Avants

I saw outside one of those shops in Maynooth at least 15 A4 avants in the same colour about 2 weeks ago.
    i cant do it, some people have work to do

2 posts in 8 mins to this topic.Lots of work being done.

I saw outside one of those shops in Maynooth at least 15 A4 avants in the same colour about 2 weeks ago.

2 posts in 8 mins to this topic.Lots of work being done.

Called shift work, look it up

Give a man a fish Blah Blah Blah
    Teach a man to fish Blah Blah Blah

But you haven't taught anyone to fish!

You've essentially said get a rod and get fish, without describing how to bait the hook or where to go to find fish :rolleyes:

Get the price of the car in £'s
    Convert to Euro
    Divide by 115
    Muliply by 121.5
    Get Vrt of Vrt.ie and add to above
    = Price of new car imported from england.

For old cars only multiply by 100 not 121.5

Get the price of the car in £'s
    Convert to Euro
    Divide by 115
    Muliply by 121.5
    Get Vrt of Vrt.ie and add to above
    = Price of new car imported from england.

For old cars only multiply by 100 not 121.5

[Internet Geek] FAIL [/Internet Geek]

OK people, this is a thread about OP finding it hard to get to view cars in showrooms, or being pushed into cars they don't want.

Importing is covered in detail in a different thread that I've already referred the OP to.

Back on-topic please.

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    [Internet Geek] FAIL [/Internet Geek]

Its called maths - very simple if you have a brain, where you derive internet geek from simple calculations is beyond me. Did you bully people at school because they were better at things than you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Its called maths - very simple if you have a brain, where you derive internet geek from simple calculations is beyond me. Did you bully people at school because they were better at things than you?

Clearly you didn't take any heed to the above post. Personal abuse won't be tolerated on this forum either. Take that as a warning.

OP (if you are still around)

Have you considered the New Insignia Sport Tourer?

Might not be any in the dealers to test drive, but Opel definately have one (see sig :D)

€40k would get you a very nicely specced Elite 160ps model.

Not sure if pricing is around anywhere but it's €1,600 on top of the list of the 4dr models. Load area isn't as big as the Mondeo / Passat but it's big enough for most peoples requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭pitstop

So great comments to read. I have 2 final points:

ROR - thank you for that suggestion, not considered but certainly worth looking at!

I went to London, as you know, the salesman drove the car to my workplace to let me testdrive, at a time that suited me. The difference in service was unbelievable! I would have bought there and then EXCEPT!!.......

My husband rang me that morning at 11am to say he was sick of listening to me and had gone to the local garage and put a deposit on a passat estate that I had considered - he had not seen it but thought it would be fine (we are in Cork, it is in Dublin). Part of me was happy to be done and dusted. That was last Monday, garage said that realistically they would not have the car into their garage for 8 days, so we could pick up next Wednesday, they said they could say it would be here Friday but he was worried that he didn't want to over promise, just in case - I had no issue with that, good honest approach I thought.

But there is a sting in the tail!!! ....

Yesterday, my husband was driving past and popped in to ask that it would definitely be there next Wednesday (next Friday is my birthday so he kinda wanted it to be there then as I am off next week). The garage stated:

Well, there are no guarantee's. I will only know it's here when I see it in the yard (how Irish is that comment!!!). (Upon further questioning regarding when the truck will leave Dublin), well, it depends, they won't send it unless it's full so we don't know.

To say I am FUMING, FUMING, FUMING is an understatement. My husband has now handed in a letter stating our agreement when he put down deposit and if the car is not there next Wednesday, the deal is OFF.

I'm sure there are many reasons why they can't figure out when the car will be there - but I DON'T CARE!!! We paid a deposit based on the info given - so STICK TO IT!!! If my business worked like that - we would be out of business!!

Next Wednesday, I am pretty sure I will surrender to the UK, which I don't like doing but every step of the way, these garages pointed me there!

Pitsy

I'd say your car will arrive in Cork today, if it didn't arrive yesterday. The stuff I was waiting on from Cork to arrive in to my VW dealer in Dublin arrived this morning. The stuff sitting in Kill will probably go back down on the same transporters that came up.

Advertisement