Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Panoramic with the Fuji f60

• 23-05-2009 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me a few starter points for creating panormaic shots with my Fuji f60. There doesn't appear to be panorama or stitch mode included (unless Fuji are calling it something different). The closest I can find is a continuous mode shot, but for various reasons (it discards all but the top 3-12 or bottom 3-12 depending on size, etc) that's not really suitable.

Considing my cheap ass phone camera has a panorama mode, I'm surprised that there's nothing available here and my googling has let me down. If somebody has the same or similar camera, perhaps a few hints in teh right direction?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Panoramic images are essentially software driven so it doesn't matter whether it happens in camera or on your computer. If it does run in camera it is essentially running a bit of software. There are plenty of ways of doing it from high end photoshop to a number of free packages.

Something free like http://hugin.sourceforge.net/ will do it for you.

There is a deal of work to doing this right and it's worth a little research - here a good place to start;

http://digital-photography-school.com/8-guidelines-to-taking-panoramic-photos-with-any-camera

Have fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I tried a software solution before, ancatdubh, and it did weird things, mostly cos I was guessing at the amount of overlap. It did manage to find points of corrolation between each picture, but then it some weird image manipulation which I assumed was down to the craptacular pics I took. I guess not. I guess the idea is as long as you keep it at the same height all round and take enough pics, you'll get something approaching panorama?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Before I posted I had a quick go with Hugin went to the back garden and shot about 15 frames panning across as I went and to be fair to it, with all the default settings selected, it did a great job of stitching them together - this in my opinion anyhow. I didn't pay any attention to how much overlap I had left so it wouldn't have been consistent. I'd guess it will take a little getting used to and like anything perfection would only come after time.

Keeping consistent lighting and contrast across a scene appears to be one of the biggest issues that I've seen and the most notable when two or more images get stitched - can be difficult if shooting from behind the sun to the sun starting to creep into the frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Yeah, it's Hugin I used before, so I'll give it another go once I've taken some better pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

If you have a horizontal point on the photo (eg horizon), take note how far up the screen/viewfinder it is and try maintain that position when you rotate - keep the elbows in tight, always helps!

• Advertisement
Advertisement