Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Deadly" Diego Forlan

• 23-05-2009 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

Diego Forlan. He's just capped off another excellent performance for Atletico Madrid, nabbing a hat-trick in the process. Always famous for his ridiculous misses at Manchester United, he really has been in top form anytime I've seen him in an Atletico shirt this season.

His finishing has certainly come on a bit, but what I've been most impressed by is his ability to get into good positions. As a footballer, he's pure gash; but if you give him the chances, he'll put them away.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

super player, just dont think the english game suited him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Helix wrote: »

Dont think it was England think it was more Man utd.

he is an excellent player just wasnt ready for utd then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Big fan of Forlan meself. He's key to my United team in FIFA :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

The first video: Good ol' Antonio Chimenti in goals for Juve.

He's much worse than Forlan ever was at United. He's still in Juve's squad as third choice behind Buffon and Alex Manninger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Dante

Wow, I gotta admit, whenever I think of Forlan I think of those misses that plagued his Man United career. Nice to see he didnt let it get to him and do so well in spain! Fair fúcks to him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Still another game to go and Eto'o only a goal behind :confused:

Hasn't won it yet or am i missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

thats brilliant, champions league here we come

he was amazing against barca too

(disappointed i missed this, for some reason i thought the matches were on tomorrow...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

IrishIrish wrote: »
    Still another game to go and Eto'o only a goal behind :confused:

Hasn't won it yet or am i missing something?
    Two goals ahead with two games to go. It's in the bag, but Eto'o his hand inside :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Forlan has always been a very good striker.

Most people only think he's bad because the only time they've seen him play is while he was at United.
    His record in Spain is very good with 115 goals in 221 appearances between Villareal and Atletico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Most complete striker in the world at the moment.
    He is deadly with either foot ,left or right it doesn't matter,you can't say that about many players these days.
    31 goals so far this season in the league.
    1 header ,15 right foot,15 left foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ah I always liked Diego. Even when he was at United he'd still give his all even after missing sitters like the video in the first post. It's paying off for him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Awesome. We could do with a striker like that now at United. But they'd never risk 20million on a man who had the form he had there. If his United experience was erased from Fergie's memory, he'd be his ideal summer signing this year, guaranteed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Two goals ahead with two games to go.

One game to go.

Have to hold my hands up and say that I thought he was very over rated and needed 5 chances to socre one etc. but his consistent goals return has proved me to look rather silly.

Pichici in the bag for him again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

He never got a decent run at United - his form since moving to Spain has shown that he could have been a brilliant player for us.

People constantly cream themselves about Villa and Eto'o while ignoring the fact that Forlan has similar (if not better) scoring records and the fact that Eto'o gets his goals playing with a superior squad of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I always thought he was really unlucky at United. Fans all loved him, mainly because of the Pool goals, etc.

Great lad clearly. And has good hair, always a plus in a footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Helix wrote: »
    His failure at Utd was purely down to confidence. When I think of a player bottling it Forlan is the one that springs to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

The situation reminisces of 2005 almost in a spooky way. At the end of that season, the Cameroonian was also leading the Pichichi (top scorer) race against Villarreal's Forlán, four goals ahead with only two matches to go. Eto'o was unable to score in those last two matches. While the Cameroonian looked distressed and wasted countless chances, Forlán scored a hat trick on the 37th match precisely against Barcelona at the Nou Camp, and then pocketed the trophy with a double in the last encounter of the season....
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=649438&sec=europe&root=europe&cc=5739

Advertisement