Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows and glass HELP

• 23-05-2009 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

I am looking for some information on window frames and glass. Basically what type to go for, PVC, etc etc

thanking ye in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

what u building: dog house chicken coup industrial school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Nick Elsulphide

oldhead wrote: »
    I am looking for some information on window frames and glass. Basically what type to go for, PVC, etc etc

thanking ye in advance.

Think of the environment.
    Save a tree - use UPVC !

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭oldhead

Carlow52 wrote: »
    what u building: dog house chicken coup industrial school?

sorry bout that, i am building a 3,900 sq ft house. i am looking for advice on what isthe best to go for? I also have to put in a sky light but it is very expensive, i might just go for velux windows foe this. Need advice for the best type of window frames and glass to go for.

Many Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClimateGirl

Think of the environment.
    Save a tree - use UPVC !

Just to correct NE's info above, uPVC is LESS environmentally friendly than timber windows - it takes way more energy/oil to make a uPVC window than timber and pvc cannot be recycled like timber when it reaches the end of its shelf life. There are plenty of timber window mfgs that get their timber from renewable sources.

We did uPVC in the back of our house and timber in the front. The timber looks far better and makes us feel better about our impact on the environment, but was 2-3x more expensive than the PVC so we couldn't afford to do the whole house in timber.

We got our timber windows from Nordic Solutions and PVC ones from Weatherglaze but was a cream pvc with wood grain effect so it turned out really well and not at all plasticy looking. One panel from a PVC window had a chip one the surface, but weatherglaze are replacing it without any hassle/cost on our part.

If you are on the east coast, I can recommend an installer of timber and pvc windows if you need it. PM me if you want a recommendation.

CG

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭oldhead

Just to correct NE's info above, uPVC is LESS environmentally friendly than timber windows - it takes way more energy/oil to make a uPVC window than timber and pvc cannot be recycled like timber when it reaches the end of its shelf life. There are plenty of timber window mfgs that get their timber from renewable sources.

We did uPVC in the back of our house and timber in the front. The timber looks far better and makes us feel better about our impact on the environment, but was 2-3x more expensive than the PVC so we couldn't afford to do the whole house in timber.

We got our timber windows from Nordic Solutions and PVC ones from Weatherglaze but was a cream pvc with wood grain effect so it turned out really well and not at all plasticy looking. One panel from a PVC window had a chip one the surface, but weatherglaze are replacing it without any hassle/cost on our part.

If you are on the east coast, I can recommend an installer of timber and pvc windows if you need it. PM me if you want a recommendation.

CG
    Im actually in the west, but many thanks for your reply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement