Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Hamster

Options
  • 24-05-2009 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice about my hamster. Daisy. I've had her nearly a year but she is definitely out of sorts at the moment.

My boyfriend has been looking after her for the last two weeks or so and she has been fine. He mentioned earlier that he hadn't seen her out for the past two days so I checked on her just now. The first thing I noticed was her food bowl was full even though I filled it two days ago. I called her to come out and although I noticed movement she wouldn't come out of her 'house'. I got worried so I took the roof of her house and picked her up.

I immediately noticed she was complete skin and bones. I let her down to walk on the ground and while she normally flattens herself to the the floor when she is out in the open, she walked with a hump in her back, as if she was keeping her front and back legs close together. She also fell over on to her sides a few times.

Her eyes are bright and her coat is still in lovely condition, but the weight loss is noticeable and her walk is funny. I managed to get her to have a drink of water and she took some food, although she stored it rather than eating it. I'm going to get up first thing tomorrow and sterilise her cage for her. I also checked her bum for wet tail and that's completely clean. From what I can see the only signs something is wrong is her weight and her funny walk. She doesn't appear to be in any pain either and she didn't appear to be distressed by being handled.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong? We stupidly left her cage in direct sunlight on the mornings of the last two days. Could this have caused dehydration? She had water available but I don't know if she drank it.

The only way she could have fallen was in her cage, but I'd assume since it's a purpose built wire hamster cage it wouldn't have been designed to be tall enough that they would hurt themselves if they fell from the top level.

Is it possible that's it's just old age or could there be something else wrong? Either way, if there's no improvement I'll bring her to the vet on Monday, but if anyone has any advice or tips until then I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

ergonomics wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I immediately noticed she was complete skin and bones. I let her down to walk on the ground and while she normally flattens herself to the the floor when she is out in the open, she walked with a hump in her back, as if she was keeping her front and back legs close together. She also fell over on to her sides a few times.

Thanks.

Have you checked her teeth just in case they are too long for her to eat or anything?

What worries me is that you mention that she is walking with a hump on her back, this could be a sign of wet tail and I would advise you to see a vet asap if you see any diarrhea or blood or smell. They go very quickly downhill with that.

If you think that she is dehydrated you should add some dioralyte to her water.

If you cannot get her to a vet right away and happen to have some fresh thyme, I'd suggest making up a thyme tea for her to drink. the thyme tea will act as an antibiotic to any possible bacteria. it's easy to make, just get some of the fresh (must be fresh not dried) herb and put a good handful into a mug. pour boiling water over it and let steep for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to release the beneficial oils.

once it's cooled to lukewarm, administer 0.1ml through the side of her mouth, 2x a day... a.m. and p.m. use an oral syringe if you have one; if not, you can use an eyedropper. also offer her 1/4 teaspoon plain, unflavored yogurt (or organic fruit-flavored yogurt) to help her digestive bacteria stay healthy... any antibiotics could compromise her digestive system.

I was told this remedy by a friend who is a veterinary nurse and It has worked wonders for some of my past hamsters. However the vet is always a first choice and I would only use it as a stopgap measure.

Good luck and I hope the little critter pulls through.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Thanks for the reply.

I got up bright and early to give Daisy's clean a really good and thorough clean out. I left her in her ball with some food and bedding while I cleaned her cage and when I took her out of her ball she had hoarded all the food (I hid it through the bedding). Also when I put her food back in her cage after the clean she made a beeline for it and stuffed her cheeks. I'm hoping those are good signs...

There was no sign of diarrohea or blood in her cage, but her bum did seem quite red so I'm treating her as if she has wet tail now, i.e., clean hands when touching her and disinfected her cage. I will get her to the vet ASAP. I noticed she's very thirsty though. She spent ages drinking water from her bottle which I gave her by hand, and she also lapped up a bit I spilled when hanging the bottle back up. Could this be an indicator of anything?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

Pm'd you OP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Why haven't you taken her to a vet yet, small animals go downhill quickly and they need quick attention when ill. It could be anything could be a urninary infection or something else. She needs a vet now. Not sure if hamies suffer from diabetes but could be possible.
    I would take her to the vet for a check up eventhough she's hoarding again, have you seen her actually eat the food.

I am taking her to the vet today and took the first appointment I could get. It was also the first chance I could get.

• Advertisement

How did you and Daisy get on today?

The vet went well today. She thinks Daisy had a bacterial infection as you suggested lorna100. She also believed the advice you gave me in PM is what got her over the worst of it, so thanks a million for that. Daisy had an injection to help with any dehydration she may have and another of antibiotics. She didn't appreciate it, but then who does! The vet also gave her some antibiotics for the week, although she said that Daisy appeared to be getting over the infection. The medicine is more of a precaution than anything else. Thankfully Daisy gobbled down the first round of antibiotics. She had started perking up before we brought her to the vet, and she is getting better with every minute.

Thanks for the help!

Brilliant news, they can be so touch and go, its great when the little things come back around again - i find they go downhill very quickly but once you catch things in time they bouce back just as quickly.

Many hammy owners wouldnt pick up on warning signs, or wouldnt be bothered to do anything about it so well done! and no worries with the advice, glad it helped.

Let us know how she is in the next few days.
    Lorna

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Great she's getting over it, one suggestion while she is on antibiotics is to make sure she is also put on a pro biotic as well. Avipro is available in some vets now or perhaps some plain organic natural pro biotic yogurt just a titch each day just to help balance things out as antibiotics take a lot out of smallies.

Advertisement