Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scratched discs

• 24-05-2009 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭

Racked up 3 scratched dics(Oblivion, Saints Row and today Fable 2) and wondering if there's a way to get them skimmed/repaired cheaply? None of them are exactly expensive used, but prefer get them fixed than replace them :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Tragedy wrote: »
    Racked up 3 scratched dics(Oblivion, Saints Row and today Fable 2) and wondering if there's a way to get them skimmed/repaired cheaply? None of them are exactly expensive used, but prefer get them fixed than replace them :)

Some Game stores do disc cleaning/repair, dont think it costs any more than 9.99 (probably less)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

€4 per disc in Smyths, 3 for €10. Really should just sticky this thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I heard someone in Gamestop say that buffered Xbox discs sometimes don't play. Any truth to that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

My RE5 disk got scratched in a nice circle right around the edge by an older 360 :(
    Must try Smyths at lunchtime tomorrow for this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

It could be worth trying the toothpaste trick. It polishes out some of the small sratches in the plastic coating. I tried it on my forza2 disk yesterday that I havent played in ages and it worked. I installed to the hard drive 100% so I dont have to worry about disk read errors any more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

I bought mass effect second hand but it was too scratched to read, when i tried to install it would get to 50% so when zavvi was closing i picked up a second copy and installed that.

Do ye think Can i sell on the good copy and use the scratched one to play the game now does it just need the disk for copyright issues to be in the machine or does it get extra info from the disk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    I heard someone in Gamestop say that buffered Xbox discs sometimes don't play. Any truth to that ?

The folks in Game were great. I recently brought a badly scratched disc to them. They said that there was one deep scratch so they were not sure if they could repair it. They gave it a going over twice and were still not 100% happy so they didn't charge me.

Gotta try the toothpaste thing, I'll report back later if it works*

*and I'm not too busy blowing away the infected...

Dexterm99 wrote: »
    The folks in Game were great. I recently brought a badly scratched disc to them. They said that there was one deep scratch so they were not sure if they could repair it. They gave it a going over twice and were still not 100% happy so they didn't charge me.

That's what is supposed to happen by law. If a business sells you something that doesn't work you get it repaired, refunded or a replacement.

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    That's what is supposed to happen by law. If a business sells you something that doesn't work you get it repaired, refunded or a replacement.

What has that got to do with scratched discs? Are you suggesting that whenever someone damages a disc, they just bring it back to wherever they bought it and the company will repair it, replace it or refund it?

The disc did work when I bought it. It stopped working because I didn't look after it. I fail to see how a business are obliged to cover goods that were not looked after...

• Advertisement

I got mixed up there. I read "bought it" not brought. Sorry :)

No worries. I thought I was missing out on something there ;)

Oh yeah, tried the toothpaste trick last night, and while it wasn't a resounding success, the disk did read after several attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jabbathehurt

Or you could invest in a disc cleaner called the skip dr. http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Innovations-10185-Motorized-AutoMax/dp/B00080YK9Y

it fixes discs by removing a layer of the disc with a small abrasive wheel.
    Does all kinds of discs, may be worth it in the long run as xboxes are notorious for giving laser burns.
    I picked it up in pc world the other day for €40 in pc world expensive i know and requires 6! aa batteries you can buy a 9 volt adapter as it doesnt come included.
    These things eat batteries! 2 dics per set of batteries.
    It does NOT remove all scratches 90% of discs it will do, but anything that you can catch your finger nail in as you run it along the disc probably wont.
    Also laser burns (the perfect circle rings on dics) are caused by moving the xbox when its on or can just happen when the xbox wants to!
    But the reason why im telling you this is because i used to work for one of the leading games retailers in ireland.
    The skip dr is what they use to repair your discs each time so it pays for itself in no time.

Don't be ripped off buy one! :pac:

I've actually done the toothpaste thing on a few discs now. I had two Xbox ones that wouldn't play and I gave em a wash and rubbed some toothpaste around it and they play now.

Advertisement