Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Door Hinges

Options
  • 24-05-2009 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hiya guys, hoping ye might be able to help me. How do you refer to the hinges you install on existing outward opening french doors to make the doors only open to approx 100 degrees. Am over in the states at the mo and nobody seems to know what I am talking about........
    Rgds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Pinky123 wrote: »
    Hiya guys, hoping ye might be able to help me. How do you refer to the hinges you install on existing outward opening french doors to make the doors only open to approx 100 degrees. Am over in the states at the mo and nobody seems to know what I am talking about........
    Rgds
    the ones I am familiar with are normally called restraints or restrainers: dont mention Gitmo:D
    they are separate from the door hinges but go on top

How can u be certain that they will fit ur kit here?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pinky123

Thanks carlow52, the doors I have are Marvin ( american make ) so am hoping I can pick them up here before I go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Pinkey
    Is this what you are looking for? Hinge pin door stop.
    838024-lg.jpg838026-lg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Pinkey
    Is this what you are looking for? Hinge pin door stop.

Hi Double Barrel, I've not seen those fittings before.

Would they not put excessive pressure on the hinges?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

SLF

Yes they will put pressure on the hinges and eventual loosen and pull out the hinge screws from the jamb. Better to install a stop/bumper on the ground if you can imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

SLF

Yes they will put pressure on the hinges and eventual loosen and pull out the hinge screws from the jamb. Better to install a stop/bumper on the ground if you can imo.

Thought so!

The one I'm going to fit myself is a barrel type thing that you fit to a wall.

The hinges I've used for this door are Parliment hinges as the door is to open up 180'.

It's an external door made from Iroko with a heavy ba*d of a double glazed panel.

Advertisement