Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What will happen to todays run of the mill cars?

• 24-05-2009 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭

I was just thinking of this today, Back in their day wouldnt things like Morris Minors, Minis, Ford Cortinas, Ford Populars and Fiat 500s have been the ordinary, boring cars.
    Today all the ordinary boring cars are being scrapped and crushed while all the higher expensive cars are being sold on repeatedly.
    Im just thinking if anyone will someday regret scrapping there old Hyundai Sonata or Daihatsu Charade.
    And will tomorrows classic car scene be almost completely higher end luxury cars and all the cheap and cheerfull cars non-existant.
    Your toughts please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

doubtful...Toyota Carina IIs are already appearing at shows...and the cars people tend to like to buy are "the one my dad had when I was small"

Hainvg said that, I think the cars at risk are the cherished ones NOW belonging to the older generation,,who is going to want the small, uncomfortable unreliable cars of the Fifties when that generation pass on? would you buy a Ford Prefect/popular/Anglia 100E fro instance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

corktina wrote: »
    doubtful...Toyota Carina IIs are already appearing at shows...and the cars people tend to like to buy are "the one my dad had when I was small"

Hainvg said that, I think the cars at risk are the cherished ones NOW belonging to the older generation,,who is going to want the small, uncomfortable unreliable cars of the Fifties when that generation pass on? would you buy a Ford Prefect/popular/Anglia 100E fro instance?
    Yep,corktina has this spot on,i have a 1986 corsa in the shed that i intend to make roadworthy again sometime,and thats pretty new as older cars go.Theres people out there with cars like MK1 Jettas,and the MK2 Golf is becoming collectable too.The "my Dad/Uncle/Neighbour had one of them factor will always be at work.
    My Datsun was the hyundai of its time,a cheap and cheerfull throwaway car,iv met many people who would have had them new and they just dont understand why i would want to keep such a car.Im sure ill be thinking the same in 20 years time when i see Hyundai Accent MK1s at shows.
    1996.hyundai.accent.5266-300x189.jpg
    I could never see myself buying say a Ford model Y,as it wouldnt be my kind of thing at all,as much as i appriciate the classic value of such a car.

10 years ago whne I bought my first classic (Corsair) if you went to a show you'd see lots of mk1 and 2 cortinas but almost never a mk3 and DEFINATELY never a mk4 or 5...now, the 1 and 2 is a bit rare at shows, and theres loads of Mk3,4,5 where have they all gone to? parked up needing work never to surface again is my guess...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah the Dad factor is huge without a doubt but I wont care if I never see a Hyundai/Starlet or other cheap cr4p ever again, as they hold no charm for me since I never had one or wanted one and I think the younger folk are much more into performance machines that mundane saloons.

Classics of the future will more likely be oddball cars IMO, also the amount of storage space available grows less all the time. You are unlikely to come across people investing time and money on the proper storage of worthless cars. Also I doubt there will be sufficient spares availability for these cars either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

I certainly wouldn't have regarded either Minis or Fiat 500s as ordinary, boring cars. Sure they were cheap and popular, but hardly boring, surely?

I think we'll certainly see lots of not so expensive cars today becoming classics in the future, such as Smarts, new Minis, new fiat 500s :p, even the Fiat Panda because it looks so different and perhaps, to some, oddball. But great to drive.

• Advertisement

A toyota Starlet is hardly cheap crap ...already attracting a following...

corktina wrote: »
    A toyota Starlet is hardly cheap crap ...already attracting a following...
    3394640741_2fb21f00dd.jpg
    Mainly because they can do this...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Even the first of the FWD Starlets are getting crazy. I know of a shockingly bad one that was dragged from a field and was sold for 500 euro!

It seems that the 17 to 21 year olds regard the mid 80's Starlets as "Retro" and therefore "cool", especially with 7" superlights.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭johnf2020

I suppose that the first Government Scrappage Scheme almost wiped out a whole generation of Irish cars from late 70's to late 80's cars,,,maybe that why we like them so much now:rolleyes:

ianobrien wrote: »
    It seems that the 17 to 21 year olds regard the mid 80's Starlets as "Retro" and therefore "cool", especially with 7" superlights.....
    Yes,but they look so stupid on 7" supers,like a tractor or something.I know of an 85 one that looks like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Yes,but they look so stupid on 7" supers,like a tractor or something.I know of an 85 one that looks like this.

Oh, definitely silly on the 7" superlights! God help the front bearings....

Oh, I reckon the only thing that them starlets are good for are grannies & autotesting, but to each his own....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Redrocket

Mainly because they can do this...:p

resized_Galway_Summer_08_2wd_Winners.jpg

Some of them can FLY!!!!

Redrocket wrote: »
    Some of them can FLY!!!!
    Haha..magic cars!
    Alway liked them,the uncle raced a few in rosegreen,and had a few road cars too.They do look good modified.
    [URL="javascript:void(0);"]jccs2008185.jpg?t=1243455874[/URL]
    And with added cibies..
    130_0803_08_z1973_toyota_starletfront_quarter_view.jpg
    Heres one that wasnt sold here as far as i know.
    imagen8b36k.jpg

Advertisement