Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of Kevin Myers/Immigration?

Options
  • 24-05-2009 7:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

I saw this guy on youtube..RTE. It's interesting, in Britian I don't think it gets openly discussed.

Anyone, just wondered what you thought of him and his views.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

What are his views? Have you a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

joolsveer wrote: »
    What are his views? Have you a link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnEFsLeQ-vY&feature=PlayList&p=7782B7990A7A582C&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1

parts 2 and 3 should be there

He's worried about an islamic Europe and thinks we should think about(it's not definite) whether race is an issue.

He seems to be an English guy that fled Leciester becasue of demographics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Yeah he's a Leicester native.

Some of his writings are a bit off the mark and a lot of it is boring and repetitive.

That said I dont disagree with the general thrust of his opinions.

Too many in the Media/chattering classes here think we all should live in some sort of "united colours of Beneton" commercial..... so he gets a lot of abuse for not having the "accepted" opinion.

(these same people who btw live in the whitest parts of Dublin)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

Affable wrote: »
    He's worried about an islamic Europe and thinks we should think about(it's not definite) whether race is an issue

He's been reading too much Mark Steyn, a writer who as an example wrote about a 'slum' in Oslo, Norway being taken over by Muslim immigrants.
    Despite living there at the time, I still can't for the life of me find any slums there.

Likes a good reaction does Myers as there's only one thing worse than being talked about and that is not being talked about.
    I don't respect him or his views the slightest.

Yeah he's a Leicester native.

Some of his writings are a bit off the mark and a lot of it is boring and repetitive.

That said I dont disagree with the general thrust of his opinions.

Too many in the Media/chattering classes here think we all should live in some sort of "united colours of Beneton" commercial..... so he gets a lot of abuse for not having the "accepted" opinion.

(these same people who btw live in the whitest parts of Dublin)

To me colour is not much of a big deal. But Islam is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

His underlying point is interesting! He is a bit ott in his approch! As for conor lehihen! A pure gobsh1te!!!!

Kevin myers loves Ireland! Tell the Nationalist community..... From a man that says long live the queen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Anyone, just wondered what you thought of him and his views.

He's either a profesional contrarian or a pillock. I've never been able to work out which 100%. His spoutings on immigration make me drift towards the latter though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Why should Islam be a problem? There are branches of Islam that are problematic just as there are branches of Christianity that I'd run a mile from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Why?
    People should be free to believe in what they want and practice the religion of their choice. What's wrong about it?
    Also if you're watching too much news and think Islam is all about "killing westerners", then you're very wrong!! Islam is a very peaceful religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Myers can write extremely well but my impression is that he has not taken his departure from his natural home, The Irish Times, well and pretty much anything goes these days. He can occasionally hit the mark these days but IMO his best days are behind him and he has the same relevance as that Senator Bertie nominated.

• Advertisement

Why?
    People should be free to believe in what they want and practice the religion of their choice. What's wrong about it?
    Also if you're watching too much news and think Islam is all about "killing westerners", then you're very wrong!! Islam is a very peaceful religion.

It is NOT peaceful. It has more imperialist intentions than any other religion.
    I'm not big on catholicism either, for the record. Or many others.

He's been reading too much Mark Steyn, a writer who as an example wrote about a 'slum' in Oslo, Norway being taken over by Muslim immigrants.

I know of him. He said the split between te western world population and muslim population was 30%/15% and then 20%/20%.
    He says Europe will become Islamified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

And what are these intentions?

i dont see why religion has to do anything with politics. the two shouldn't be allowed to mix, parties shouldn't have the words "CHRISTIAN DEMOCRAT" in it. the state should be completely secular, we have states to serve the people by the people, not to answer to some entity called church who worship an entity that doesnt exist
    I know of him. He said the split between te western world population and muslim population was 30%/15% and then 20%/20%.
    comment is free, but facts are sacred

the fact that this guy cant come up with a consistent figure shows that hes a liar

ive no time for Kevin Myer, its people like that why i don't bother reading Independent much (i hope editors read this) anymore

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." - Yoda

You need to read more about Islam...
    Yes muslims do like to believe in a world where everyone is muslim. But so do people from most other religions. Atheists like Richard Dawkins are the worst at this with their "there is probably no god" slogans.
    The christian missionaries went around the world converting people to christianity. They gave Britan a reason/excuse to go and invade over half the world "Its God's will that Britan should rule the world".

The muslims are no way as bad as that. You don't see them around every corner trying to preach you their religion. Neither can you name a single act of violent aggression taken place in Ireland related to Islam.

You cannot confuse the minute group terrorists with normal muslims. Every group has their bunch of looneys.
    That is bull crap.
    How can you see that happening?!

In UK (which is supposed to have the highest amount of muslim population), Muslims make up only 2.7% of the whole british population.
    How can you see this 2.7% taking over the 97.3% over the country?
    And thats just one country.

ionix5891 wrote: »
    And what are these intentions?

i dont see why religion has to do anything with politics. the two shouldn't be allowed to mix, parties shouldn't have the words "CHRISTIAN DEMOCRAT" in it. the state should be completely secular, we have states to serve the people by the people, not to answer to some entity called church who worship an entity that doesnt exist

Muslims never wanted to state to be separate. What do you think Sharia law is?

To spread islam and islamic rule.

What do you think the Catholic church with its gold plated altars is?

THIS WEEK They are getting the state (an in turn the taxpayers a portion of whom where abused) to pay for the kids they molested, so much for separation of state and church...

woa just woa

Atheists like Richard Dawkins are the worst at this with their "there is probably no god" slogans..

Do you have proof for the existence of "god", there's nothing wrong with that statement unless you can disprove it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

In any movement -- religious, political, youth culture, football supporters, you-name-it -- you are likely to find an extremist fringe. It is wrong to blame the majority for the actions of those extremists. If you do so, you might drive more towards the fringe.

Of course one should address any threat or problem represented by extremists, and it is often best to enlist the assistance of the moderates in the movement in dealing with them. Potentially, the best allies in tackling extremist Muslims are the moderate Muslims.

Do you have proof for the existence of "god", there's nothing wrong with that statement unless you can disprove it

Thats not the point. The point is him preaching his religion (yes, atheism is a religion, i said it!) around just like people from other religion do. Everyone has their freedom to practice and preach their religion so why do you need to be selectively worried about "all those Islamists coming and preaching their Islam around here and Islamifying Europe!".

Also the full slogan was "There is probably no god so stop worrying and be happy". And what makes him think people who believe in god are all worried and unhappy?
    Anyway, this is not a religious forum so i'm not gonna go into all that.

What do you think the Catholic church with its gold plated altars is?

I know. I hate them too tbh, I'm not keen on any religious people that much, apart from deists.

Also the full slogan was "There is probably no god so stop worrying and be happy". And what makes him think people who believe in god are all worried and unhappy?
    Anyway, this is not a religious forum so i'm not gonna go into all that.

if they werent worried or unhappy and why are they calling Jihads? why are they molesting kids??

the thread is about politics and religion since Islam and Kevin Myer are mentioned
    Thats not the point. The point is him preaching his religion (yes, atheism is a religion, i said it!) around just like people from other religion do.
    Atheism is the position that deities do not exist,[1] or the rejection of theism.[2] In the broadest sense, it is the absence of belief in the existence of deities.[3]
    atheism is not a religion, its a complete rejection of such, please see the definition, Dawkins has an agenda to sell his books but its a bit shallow to call Atheism a religion, just shows how much you know

Everyone has their freedom to practice and preach their religion so why do you need to be selectively worried about "all those Islamists coming and preaching their Islam around here and Islamifying Europe!".
    Everyone has a freedom to worship whatever orbiting teacup they believe in

im not worried about Islam, so im not sure why you addressed it at me
    I know. I hate them too tbh, I'm not keen on any religious people that much, apart from deists.

same as i said earlier, religion should just be confined to whatever crazy belief people have, not be allowed near politics

• Advertisement

In any movement -- religious, political, youth culture, football supporters, you-name-it -- you are likely to find an extremist fringe. It is wrong to blame the majority for the actions of those extremists. If you do so, you might drive more towards the fringe.

Of course one should address any threat or problem represented by extremists, and it is often best to enlist the assistance of the moderates in the movement in dealing with them. Potentially, the best allies in tackling extremist Muslims are the moderate Muslims.

http://defeatthethirdjihad.com/2009/02/islamic-imperialism-and-supremacism.html

same as i said earlier, religion should just be confined to whatever crazy belief people have, not be allowed near politics

It's not seperable, if there are religious contituents and MPs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

'Some muslims'. Even within a grouping like Sunni Islam there's various different approaches. And within those religous groups theres various nationalties and political factions.

Theres far more dangerous and annoying things to worry about in this life than muslims. Start with Michael Fingletons 27.6 million pension and the cap on Church compensation. Theres threads there already.

It's not seperable, if there are religious contituents and MPs.

then they will find solace in the lunatic fringe parties

then they will find solace in the lunatic fringe parties

It's not minority lunatics. A ton of people funded the IRA right?
    Well even more muslims would support extreme Islam. 40% in a survey supported sharia law.

It's not minority lunatics. A ton of people funded the IRA right?
    Well even more muslims would support extreme Islam. 40% in a survey supported sharia law.

if they cant detach their beliefs from an imaginary entity that doesn't exist then one can question their right to vote, one of the reason for not allowing children to vote is that they can not make rational decisions, that can be applied to religious nuts too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The man is a joke imho. He seems to go out of his way to be controversial and it doesn't really matter whether what he says make any sense, he will just say it regardless.

if they werent worried or unhappy and why are they calling Jihads? why are they molesting kids??

the thread is about politics and religion since Islam and Kevin Myer are mentioned
    This thread is not about discussing which religion is right or wrong.
    I don't know why they're fighting their jihad or molesting kids. They might be screwed in the head. Who knows! Ask them!

atheism is not a religion, its a complete rejection of such, please see the definition, Dawkins has an agenda to sell his books but its a bit shallow to call Atheism a religion, just shows how much you know.
    Atheism is a belief that there is no god. More fundamentally atheism (from the definition of "religion") "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe" and so it is a religion, just like all other religions.
    I know enough about atheism to call it just another bunch of people with a similar belief about life and universe.
    Dawkins is convinced he has got it all right and wants to sell his book by looking down on people who don't believe in what he does and no one is gonna stop him or complain about him.
    A bunch of muslims want to live their lives their way without interfering with people who don't share their believes, the world goes mad!
    Everyone has a freedom to worship whatever orbiting teacup they believe in

im not worried about Islam, so im not sure why you addressed it at me
    I didn't address anything towards you. You started the debate about god.

I completely agree with you.

@af_thefragile

not gonna quote whole post as its long

but yes we have an agreement about something :)

we could debate the finer points of atheism (the word means lack of religion) and how calling it a religion makes no sense, but ill stop there

as for bringing up the molesting catholic priests, that was done to put things in perspective for the posters in this thread who have a clear anti Islam slant, they should take care of their own mess first

i personally think all religions cause all sorts of problems in this world, and once again we need less baggage when it comes to politics

• Advertisement

@af_thefragile

not gonna quote whole post as its long

but yes we have an agreement about something :)

we could debate the finer points of atheism (the word means lack of religion) and how calling it a religion makes no sense, but ill stop there

as for bringing up the molesting catholic priests, that was done to put things in perspective for the posters in this thread who have a clear anti Islam slant, they should take care of their own mess first

i personally think all religions cause all sorts of problems in this world, and once again we need less baggage when it comes to politics

I believe politics should be kept completely separate from religion. The government should be for the protection of people rather than the fulfillment of some group be it religious or corporate (like it is today).

But i don't believe religions cause problems. Its the people who decide to use religion for their personal gains that cause problems in the world. Even if there would be no religion, people would still continue fighting over things and causing problems in the world. What people need to change is their mindset and attitude rather than their religion.

Advertisement