Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa V Newcastle United Match Thread - 24/05/09

• 24-05-2009 9:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭

Live on Sky Sports 1. Coverage starts from 3pm. Kick off 4pm.

Streams: http://www.veetle.com/viewChannel.php?cid=4a0d017b77088

http://www.iraqgoals.net/ch3.html

Like in other Newcastle United match threads I've often stressed the importance of a match but there's never been a more important match than this one today.

The last day of what has been a disastrous season for us has finally come and with two other teams (let's face it Boro are gone) fighting for their Premier League lives we need to look for a win today.
    A draw could be good enough if other results go our way but we need to focus on our job and to not rely on favours from teams around us.

A defeat today will send us crashing into the Championship.

A draw is good enough if Hull lose.

A win for us and a loss for Hull would relegate Hull. However if Hull win and oursleves win and Sunderland lose, Sunderland will be relegated.

It's going to be a tense couple of hours for all those involved in the relegation scrap but we need to focus on our match and nobody elses.

Some good news for us regarding team news.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1664239,00.html
    JOSE Enrique has handed Alan Shearer a Survival Sunday fitness boost after making a return to full training ahead of the relegation decider at Aston Villa.

The Spaniard has been missing for the past three weeks with a hamstring injury but could figure at Villa Park.

United boss Shearer told nufcTV: "Jose has now returned to full training.

"He will train again over the weekend and if there is no reaction then he will be in the squad."

It's been an absolutely horrendous season for Newcastle United this season on and off the pitch but 37 games are now history and it's time for heroes to be made and do the job for this football club which means so much to so many people.

3,000 Geordies will travel to Villa Park today to cheer on the Mags for the final time this season. So lads please make it a good one.

HOWAY THE LADS!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Im confident that we can score against Villa but i just know Carew is going to walk all over Collocinni and Co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Im confident that we can score against Villa but i just know Carew is going to walk all over Collocinni and Co.

We might score but will it be the winning goal? I've been fairly relaxed this morning but watching SSN and the Survival Sunday programme on SS1 now has given me butterflies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Personally, I think ALL of the teams in the relegation dogfight will lose today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I know it's a horrible thing to say, but I think Newcastle need to go down for the long term future of the club. They're stuck in a vicious circle that needs to be broken, and relegation will do that.

JimiTime wrote: »
    Personally, I think ALL of the teams in the relegation dogfight will lose today.

They are the type of fixtures that would suggest that but given the enormity of the occasion it's so hard to know.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I know it's a horrible thing to say, but I think Newcastle need to go down for the long term future of the club. They're stuck in a vicious circle that needs to be broken, and relegation will do that.

It's not horrible at all. We're in this mess due to poor performances.

We're not financially stable for a drop. We've got money yes but we'll lose a lot next season should we go down.

A clearout is definitely needed regardless of what division next year.

That_Guy wrote: »
    It's not horrible at all. We're in this mess due to poor performances.

Exactly. Poor performances from players who don't give a flying fuck once they pick up their big pay cheques.
    We're not financially stable for a drop. We've got money yes but we'll lose a lot next season should we go down.

No big club ever is but, speaking from experience ten years on, it helped City immensely to go down and get sorted properly.
    A clearout is definitely needed regardless of what division next year.

Won't happen if you stay up imo. The leeches will cling on once their contract allows them to.

I kind of tought that aswell, but im just worred we will be the next Leeds United if we end up getting relegated....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I've been thinking along the same lines as Xavi for about 2 years now. Newcastle need to break this cycle and realise that they are not the club they think they are. A season in the Championship could see a clear out of some of the relics that knock around the club and the introduction of some young blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

JimiTime wrote: »
    4 going down then? :pac:

• Advertisement

First and foremost I want to see a well run club irrespective of what league we're in next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Hoping for a last day flourish from Villa today. Villa & messrs Young/Agbonlahor performed at their best this season when teams were throwing caution to the wind and going forward leaving gaps at the back, this is pecisely what i expect Newcastle to be doing today and expect the Villa boys to prosper, maybe with a Milner screamer to send his alma mater down, it would be sweet.

But in Newcastles favour is the fact an already UEFA Cup qualified, poorly playing with one eye on their summer holidays fatigue after a long season Villa team with Heskey ain't great shakes.

Draw for me.

From www.nufc.com

A final plea:

If you are at the match today and the worst does happen, please do yourself and your club a favour and make sure the Sky cameras don't catch you snivelling into your scarf or blubbering into your best mate's shoulder.

Show some dignity and don't bring this club into disrepute.

We suggest you turn your back and make a hasty retreat for the exits. Once outside, walk straight past reporters and cameras in the streets and maintain your silence until you are well away from prying lenses.

We will do our best to "out" anyone caught moist-eyed or slack-jawed on TV and shame them further....

We all care - that's why we're there - but we don't have to put on a public show of emotion that the press hounds will be all too eager to capture.

Shout hard, sing true and help our team prove everyone wrong.

Howay the lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Nonsense.

A rebuild and clear out is infinitely easier whilst in the Prem.

Look at Forest, Leeds, Sheff United, Southampton, Charlton. Clubs who spent many years in the prem, and are now a light years away from it.

We need a clear out badly, no arguments there. But I don't see it being any easier in a a lower division, one which is very tough to get out of, and one where the revenue stream is significantly decreased.

I do think this season has brought us to the point where that clear out will happen. I am confident Shearer will stay, irrespective of our Prem status, and if he does, he will definitely get rid of the dead wood.

Charlie wrote: »
    I am confident Shearer will stay, irrespective of our Prem status, and if he does, he will definitely get rid of the dead wood.

Surely Owen is first on his list. Shearer knows the players who want to play for this club and Owen is not one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

We will do our best to "out" anyone caught moist-eyed or slack-jawed on TV and shame them further....

lol surely that is taking it too far, what's wrong with crying? Also what the hell are they going to do?

RasTa wrote: »
    lol surely that is taking it too far, what's wrong with crying? Also what the hell are they going to do?

I don't know. Bit ridiculous.

RasTa wrote: »

It is a bit alright. But I think they are just conscious of the fact that Sky will be desperate to get their shot of the blubbering Geordie. For the last couple of years, Sky have taken great pleasure in turning their camera's on the daftest of our fans, giving the majority of us a bad name, and bad image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Why would Newcastle fans want to keep shearer? He is an unproven manager who has pretty much flopped during his extremely short reign at Newcastle, whether staying up or going down do you think Shearer has the ability to either keep Newcastle up next year or push for promotion in the Championship?

Today I fully expect a Villa win, but they are playing for nothing and most of the players probably just want the end of the season, but we should have too much quality for Newcastle.

It is a bit alright. But I think they are just conscious of the fact that Sky will be desperate to get their shot of the blubbering Geordie. For the last couple of years, Sky have taken great pleasure in turning their camera's on the daftest of our fans, giving the majority of us a bad name, and bad image.

I don't care if people shed a few tears at all. For those who are Newcastle through and through it's understandable to be upset.

• Advertisement

I don't care if people shed a few tears at all. For those who are Newcastle through and through it's understandable to be upset.

Oh no doubt. I think it's more about just not letting Sky exploit it, but fcuk it, there are bigger things to be worrying about today.

Oh no doubt. I think it's more about just not letting Sky exploit it, but fcuk it, there are bigger things to be worrying about today.

Aye that is true. Surely we have to be thinking of the win. We can't think of anything else unless of course Hull are getting trounced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

That quote from the website is a f***ing disgrace. If they've an issue with Sky, organise a boycott. Don't turn on fans who show how much the club means to them.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    That quote from the website is a f***ing disgrace. If they've an issue with Sky, organise a boycott. Don't turn on fans who show how much the club means to them.

It is a shocking statement alright. I was in disbelief reading it. It's football. It's a passionate game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It is a shocking statement alright. I was in disbelief reading it. It's football. It's a passionate game.

Hang on, just seeing there NUFC.com isn't the official site though, so it's not as bad as I had initially thought.

Hang on, just seeing there NUFC.com isn't the official site though, so it's not as bad as I had initially thought.

.co.uk is the official one.

.com is a fan based one.

Nah Nufc.co.uk is the official site.

Uuugh, i cant even concentrate on study, i need 4pm now!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Team news anyone?

Nonsense.

I disagree
    A rebuild and clear out is infinitely easier whilst in the Prem.

Yeah you'll clear out one lot of over the hill mercenaries and bring in a new set in a bid to stave off a relegation battle next season.

As I said, a vicious ongoing circle.
    Look at Forest, Leeds, Sheff United, Southampton, Charlton. Clubs who spent many years in the prem, and are now a light years away from it.

Emmmm aren't they in the Playoff Final?

Yes the above clubs have struggled but the likes of Leeds WILL be back, and will be better run for it. It took City 6 or 7 years to get a foothold back in the Prem. It won't happen over night but in a decade or so it may be the best thing to have happened to the club.
    We need a clear out badly, no arguments there. But I don't see it being any easier in a a lower division, one which is very tough to get out of, and one where the revenue stream is significantly decreased.

Of course it's easier in a lower division as the players who you need to be shot of won't put up a fight when it comes to staying.

If you have Premiership status they will not want to leave, especially if they are nearing the end of their career, are under contract and are on big bucks.
    I do think this season has brought us to the point where that clear out will happen. I am confident Shearer will stay, irrespective of our Prem status, and if he does, he will definitely get rid of the dead wood.

Wanting Shearer to stay is a prime example of a blinkered opinion.

• Advertisement

Sorry, meant to Post Wednesday not United.

Regarding Shearer, I don't see him as some sort of 'Messiah', some sort of Saviour who will lead the club to Europe. I do see him though as someone who cares deeply for the club, someone who won't be a yes man for Ashley, someone who will rid the club of those who don't want to play for the black & white. These are all big things we need in the coming future.

Anyone else good enough (your Curbishley's, Martinez etc.), won't take the job because of Ashley and the club's baggage. Anyone who does take it (if Shearer does go), will probably be another JFK yes man, possibly even JFK himself again. That will get us nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Come on the toon .. lets make it at least possible and get the result!

When are sky going to let this playoff go :mad:

NUFC: Steve Harper, David Edgar, Damien Duff, Fabricio Coloccini, Steven Taylor, Nicky Butt (c), Kevin Nolan, Danny Guthrie, Peter Lovenkrands, Oba Martins, Mark Viduka
    Subs: Tim Krul, Ryan Taylor, Shola Ameobi, Michael Owen, Alan Smith, Jose Enrique, Jonas Gutierrez

and villa

AVFC: Brad Friedel, James Milner, Nicky Shorey, Curtis Davies, Carlos Cuellar, Gareth Barry, Craig Gardener, Stilyan Petrov, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Ashley Young, John Carew
    Subs: Steve Sidwell, Nathan Delfouneso, Zat Knight, Emile Heskey, Nigel Reo-Coker, Brad Guzan, Marc Albrighton

Anyway lads, i'm logging off to watch the coverage now.

TOON TOON

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Heskey dropped hallelujah!

Omens good for a Villa win, anyone care to reminisce about the day Villa sent Coventry down, oh it was glorious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Happy that Gardner will be RB, think it is far more natural that way then playing milner there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Anyone got a decent stream? iraqgoals cack as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

GET IN THERE!

YES, Go on Villa:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

COME ON!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

GET INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disappointed as to who the culprit is though. Duff is a good lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Anyone got a decent stream? iraqgoals cack as usual.

the veetle one at the top of this thread is decent.

sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/6816

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

whoever stays up Hull or Newcastle it wont be their great football keeping them up.
    All 3 of Hull, Newcastle and Middelsboro all losing atm

cmon Villa get 5th

cmon Villa get 5th

everton 1-0 up at the cottage :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Thanks!

dang didnt know that butwouldent rule out Fulham getting a draw... of course i wouldent rule out Newcastle grabbing a late draw either.

spoilers added to pevious post also

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Newcastle really look second best in this :(

The commentator on my stream has a hardon for Carew

'what figure of a man, the type greeks sculptures used to make statues of... a great physique but much more mobile'

edit: Barry so close to relegating the Magpies there

Oh no here comes Heskey, Newcastle could stay up after all.

heskey on for gardner...

wtf martin

• Advertisement
Advertisement