Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What part of Dublin Most of Apnay (Pakistani's) or Desi Live.

Options
  • 24-05-2009 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

What part of Dublin Most of Apnay (Pakistani's) or Desi Live.

Is there a place in dublin like Green Street In London

I dont want to be racist , I am a pakistani and want to live where most of people are urdu speaking , Pakistani Language .

Just to make my parents life easy who have just moved so they ca also enjoy their life

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

There isn't really any particular area like that AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Nope, like Buffybot said above there is no area like that at all.

You should find Urdu speakers at one of the mosques at Friday prayers.

Still, I would recommend you live some place among the locals, they don't bite :D. I am sure your parents will be fine either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Question: What does Desi mean?

Just wondering 'cause I see the word in some of the cafes and shops around where I work on Mary Street in Dublin quite a bit. That might answer your question too!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭topdost

No i am sure as well Locals will not bite , I agree with you . :D

Yeah but like my parents they dot speak eglish or irish , so just to make life easier i was tryig to fid out

Also where are mostly asia shops for etc

or are they all over the city?

wes wrote: »
    Nope, like Buffybot said above there is no area like that at all.

You should find Urdu speakers at one of the mosques at Friday prayers.

Still, I would recommend you live some place among the locals, they don't bite :D. I am sure your parents will be fine either way.

Desi meas people from Pakistan and india mostly
    studiorat wrote: »
    Question: What does Desi mean?

Just wondering 'cause I see the word in some of the cafes and shops around where I work on Mary Street in Dublin quite a bit. That might answer your question too!

• Advertisement

topdost wrote: »
    No i am sure as well Locals will not bite , I agree with you . :D

Yeah but like my parents they dot speak eglish or irish , so just to make life easier i was tryig to fid out

Also where are mostly asia shops for etc

or are they all over the city?

There are a few all over the place, but there are several near me and I live near St. Patricks Cathedral and near Harolds Cross. Plenty of Asian shops and restaurant's around the place.

Desi meas people from Pakistan and india mostly

Lets, not forget our Bengali friends now :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

You are welcome here. We do not have racial ghettos (yet).

Just come and live among the general population.

And tell your parents to learn to speak English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

خوش آمدید

Dublin is very different to what you might have seen in Newham or similar parts of London, the population is very dispersed. Having said that, if there s such an area here it's probably around the neighbouring districts of Rathmines and Portobello - where I live:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I'd recommend your parents learn English. I say this from personal experience, they will be happier living here if they learn the local language. Irish people are very welcoming if you make an effort.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I will have to agree with those above who say your parents will need to learn English, if there staying here for good. They will simply have a very difficult time if they don't.

If there just on holiday to come see you, then I am sure some basic stuff will help them get along.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

Guessing yer rents speak a language other than urdu, but would rather be around first gen immigrants of their own age?

Not gonna happen :(

The Desi population here is a lot younger than in the UK, and are mostly of student age, or recent graduate.
    Most Desi's do tend to be more visable 'round the South Circular road, rathgar and rathmines. There is a masjid, a fairly big one, in clonskeagh, and that tends to have goings on every day so, could be a good place to introduce your rents to others.

Thanks that a good one .

that what i gathered Rathmies .

How far is Rathmies from Closkeagh
    Guessing yer rents speak a language other than urdu, but would rather be around first gen immigrants of their own age?

Not gonna happen :(

The Desi population here is a lot younger than in the UK, and are mostly of student age, or recent graduate.
    Most Desi's do tend to be more visable 'round the South Circular road, rathgar and rathmines. There is a masjid, a fairly big one, in clonskeagh, and that tends to have goings on every day so, could be a good place to introduce your rents to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Thanks that a good one .

that what i gathered Rathmies .

How far is Rathmies from Closkeagh
    You'd drive there in about fifteen minutes.. it's almost a neighbouring district. It's about 4km away. Good luck with your search!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Not too far, your parents could get the 11 bus from city centre.

rathmines to clonskeagh mosque google maps

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Leonards Corner/SCR area has by far the largest density in the central urban area. Cracking shops and take aways and a busy, simple and social mosque just there in Blackpitts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

humberklog wrote: »
    Leonards Corner/SCR area has by far the largest density in the central urban area. Cracking shops and take aways and a busy, simple and social mosque just there in Blackpitts too.

Aswell the Mosque on SCR. You'll find nearly every house on the top half of Dufferin Ave (the half closest to the Mosque) with Muslims living in them, along with a good portion of Washington St and Wolseley St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 foxyrock

Surely if your parents are planning to move to Dublin for good they would learn English? How else are they going to survive here? I don't want to be encouraging areas where foreign speakers live together in one part of the city and ignore Irish people. I lived in Slough in England and you had different groups of people (mainly Pakistani) who lived and spoke their own language, shopped in their own shops and never integrated with English people. Was a cold place. If you want to live in Dublin you and anyone else should be able to integrate with everyone else. Am I the only one to think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Old thread be so old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I'd say the parents are fluent by now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Old thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement