Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centra at Curragh Grange, Newbridge

Options
  • 24-05-2009 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭

Always ask for a receipt in this shop.

Discounts or special offers, while marked on the shelf, are frequently not applied at the till.

Double scanning of the same item has also occurred.

Receipts are not offered - you have to ask for one.

Check it carefully.

In the last three years my wife and me have experienced at least a dozen mistakes .

The latest error:
    33% off Rudds rashers. Normal price is €3.99 and this is printed on the label beside the best before date. Cardboard ticlk on shelf says €2.67. Big red sticker on the wrapper says "33% off".

Scanned at the till for €3.99. Had to point out the year and wait while the assistant consulted a "more experienced" member of staff. :rolleyes:

The only reason for using this shop is that it's a five minute walk away - the next nearest is 20 minutes away with restricted parking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

This seems to be a widespread problem for outlets affiliated with Musgraves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Was it the girl with the jet black dyed hair? Always seems more concerned with the state of her nails tbh

No wonder the chap who owns it has such a nice BMW!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Was it the girl with the jet black dyed hair? Always seems more concerned with the state of her nails tbh

No wonder the chap who owns it has such a nice BMW!!:D

Not this time but a few weeks ago she was involved in another pricing f*ck up.

No change - they're still conning customers.

Rudds White Pudding.
    Priced at €1.99 on the label. €2.19 says the cardboard tag on the shelf.

Red sticker on the label says "now €1.50".

Scans at €2.19. :rolleyes:

Usual supervisor involvement to get my €0.69 back.

Pound of Kerrygold reduced to 2.38 on shelf. Scanned at 2.79. Same old story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

Discounts or special offers, while marked on the shelf, are frequently not applied at the till.

Check it carefully.

In the last three years my wife and me have experienced at least a dozen mistakes .

The latest error:
    33% off Rudds rashers. Normal price is €3.99 and this is printed on the label beside the best before date. Cardboard ticlk on shelf says €2.67. Big red sticker on the wrapper says "33% off".

Scanned at the till for €3.99. Had to point out the year and wait while the assistant consulted a "more experienced" member of staff. :rolleyes:

The only reason for using this shop is that it's a five minute walk away - the next nearest is 20 minutes away with restricted parking.

funnily enough supervalue about 3 weeks ago, i bought rashers because it said 2.99 special offer,w hen i got home i checked receipt to find i had been charged the original price 4.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Check it carefully.

The latest error:

You just described my local Centra store in Kingswood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I think you'll always get this in the smaller franchises as the staff are doing everything, not just ticketing. In larger supermarket chains they tend to have properly trained staff, dedicated to just ticketing, so there are less (albiet still some) errors of this type

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

goat2 wrote: »
    funnily enough supervalue about 3 weeks ago, i bought rashers because it said 2.99 special offer,w hen i got home i checked receipt to find i had been charged the original price 4.99

In my localSupervalu this happens pretty much every time I shop there...

I do my weekly shop with a calculator in hand, simply because most weeks I have a very strict budget.

It used to be only occasionally that there was a discrepancy.

I'd point it out, the staff member on the checkout would apologise and then amend the total. We'd joke that you couldn't trust the computerised till ha ha..etc. :rolleyes:

Then it started happening more often.

When it started to be every time I shopped there, I stopped doing the weekly shop there.

However, its a convenient shop to visit, so occasionally if I just need a couple of things and I'm passing, I'll pop in there.

Yesterday, I picked up some sliced cheese, (€1.50 on the shelf label) and 4 bread rolls (€0.51 each on the shelf label).

At the till, the cheese came up at €2.39 and the rolls came out at €0.59 each.

I pointed out the discrepancy, and after lots of huffing, puffing and general raising of her eyes to heaven, she got out and flounced off to check the shelf prices.
    Then she came back and had to get the manager to change the till total. Manager acted as if I was being petty over a few cents (erm...a mark-up of €1.21 over just 5 items as far as I was concerned),and the shopper queueing behind me did lots of finger-drumming & deep-sighing :rolleyes:

One particular week, back when I did do my weekly shop there, I noticed once I got home that I'd been over charged by almost €20...I dropped the bags in the hall and drove straight back. Manager at the time was mortified, refunded me the over-charged amount and then gave voucher for €25 as an apology. A nice touch and unexpected...I'd rather they just got it right the first time.

Every time I complain to the managers they just state that its a computer error...but every week???

I'm really starting to wonder if its a 'deliberate' computer error, designed to take advantage of the majority of shoppers who don't take note of the shelf prices, and who more often than not just pay up at the till without a second thought. Call me paraniod...but it just happens too often in this particular shop.

Been doing the big shop at a different supermarket for the last 3 months, and I haven't had to query the till price/receipt at all, not even once.

I always used to laugh at my dad, who would never leave the supermarket until he'd been through his receipt item by item...but I think the old fella was spot on, and I now do the same:o

Pork. €4 per pack or two for €6.

Wife bought two. Charged €8.

Crooks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Pork. €4 per pack or two for €6.

Wife bought two. Charged €8.

Crooks.

This shop must be coining it from the people who don't notice.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

ejmaztec wrote: »
    This shop must be coining it from the people who don't notice.:eek:
    This is the thing. Until something is done they will keep at it.

It's brought up with them every time we notice the error.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Danno wrote: »

Definitely, there's a Super Valu in Loughboy Kilkenny and it's exactly as the OP described.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

Supervalu Abbeyleix is the worst ive ever experienced.......at least half of the time im overcharged at the till and im not exagerating (im being conservative if anything)....anyone else had problems with this branch??

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Check it carefully.

The latest error:

I echo everything you said there for the centra in kilmacthomas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Local Centra is exactly the same,I always watch the price on the til when each item is scanned through and point out any discreptancies,the staff there must hate me!maybe nothing to some people but a euro or two every time adds up at the end of the week and is a lot to me!

Oddly enough another Centra that I used to frequent( at Newlands Cross)never overcharged me once,went out of business just before Christmas.

They will either have to cop on or go out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sha01001

I worked in this centra for a few months so I can tell you why the discrpency. Every barcode is manually programmed into the computer with the original price. The store get's in a lot of new stock every week and with them come new offers, the supervisor or manager then has to manually change the barcode on the computer to match the new price. With so many things on offer it is easy to miss some things. Especially as its the regular staff who put up the price tags. It can be annoying but at the same time it's impossible to remember everything that is on offer.

@dollydishmop i understand how frustrating it can be when staff role there eyes but when there is a que of people in line and you have to run around the store looking at prices and finding the manager for such a small amount it is very frustrating especially when the other customers are getting nancy. You get to leave once your money is returned but the sales girl is usually left with an angry customer who blames you. I once had to spend 5 mins running around cause a customer wanted to swap a pack of biscuits the was 1 cent cheaper then the other. I'm not joking. There was a long que as well because the other girl was on her break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭SOCOM

Woodies Diy Dundalk
    Bought 3 items, was overcharged for 2 of them by €1.80!
    a pittance some would say, but this shop is notorious for incorrect pricing.
    This happened once in Dunnes over a jar of coffee, was refunded the full amount plus the coffee for free, I am sure if the other shops mentioned were to adopt this policy there would be none of this crap!

Last rant, if your in a queue and someone in front of you is complaining about being over charged please support them, don't make them feel embarrassed about pointing out a problem that the retailer has caused!!
    We need people to be able to complain without being ridiculed by fellow shoppers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Funny to see a thread about this place, i used to live nearby in Newbridge. Seen as you worked there sha01001 maybe you could shed some light in this: is it centra policy not to give out receipts?! Drove me nuts when id be in there regular. A centra in my home town in co. galway does the same. Your wan has the receipt grabed & feckd in the bin straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

mfitzy wrote: »
    Definitely, there's a Super Valu in Loughboy Kilkenny and it's exactly as the OP described.

Yip, regularly see it in our local Supervalu.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

Notorious Bandits in my area. Allways overcharging.
    No lettuce in ALDI so got one in Supervalue, whilst there I saw the E2 each or 3 for E4 offer on fruit. Got courgettes,peppers and a melon.
    Yes youve guessed it got charged .79 for lettuce and E2 each for the rest. Pointed out the error and was told melon was not in offer,took cashier to display and showed them. Oh no thats not a melon, thats a grapefruit so its not in offer! Like something out of Monty Python I pointed out grapefruit was in fact a melon. It looked like a melon, smelt like a melon therefore it was a melon.
    The rub was that afterwards i realised i could have got the "offers" for less at ALDI.
    Similar with Tesco offers, 24 packs of cat food on offer cost more than buying them in 2 x 12 packs. etc.
    Moral don't be conned by offers and don't buy what you don't really want.

Similar with Tesco offers, 24 packs of cat food on offer cost more than buying them in 2 x 12 packs. etc.
    That is a rather old con that is perpetrated by all the multiples.

Dunnes for example sell a pack of 18 eggs for almost 5 Euro. You can buy 2 packs of 12 of the same eggs for €4.
    You have to look very carefully at these alleged special offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

Danno wrote: »

I work in a store affiliated with Musgraves.

In my experience its not retailer ripping you off, it happens for a number of reasons, eg: overhang of promotional stock after a promotion has ended, barcode changes, and mainly shoddy work by the staff member responsible for maintaing the pricing labels. Some stores are worse than others. In the case of where i work we have systems in place to keep the number of errors down but it still happens. There is nothing worse than getting having to deal with an irate customer.

The problem occurs in all stores and best advice i can give is to make sure you get your receipt (staff member should give you this without you having to ask) and make any issues known to staff/supervisor on duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Funny to see a thread about this place, i used to live nearby in Newbridge. Seen as you worked there sha01001 maybe you could shed some light in this: is it centra policy not to give out receipts?! Drove me nuts when id be in there regular. A centra in my home town in co. galway does the same. Your wan has the receipt grabed & feckd in the bin straight away.

You should get a receipt 100% of the time, if it happens frequently i would make a complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

I can't believe how frequently this happens & mostly with Centra and also how long it's been going on for. I don't care how hard or tiring it is for staff to do their job but when I see a price advertised I expect to be charged that price. I can't even count how many times I returned with half priced/reduced items that I paid full price for. The excuse is always the same...oh we've just lowered the price & haven't had time to enter it into the till...Sometimes these items have been on sale for days before I pick one/them up & the same thing still happens. They should have one person dedicated to doing this actually simple task but then again as another poster pointed out, the amount of money they're raking in out of this...that's a nice tidy profit for whoever's is adding up the tills in the evenings.
    I've stopped going there now!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I aknowledge the fact that some prices might be incorrectly entered in the computer, and that the staff at the till won't know until he is told by a customer. However, when the price is marked ON the item and it comes up as incorrect and then you point it out to the staff and they reply that they need to call a manager to check if that's right... that's a step too far. My local Centra does that all the time, and worst I bought the same item a few times and each time the same error was reported. Once it's been reported by a customer, it should be corrected in the computer and there should be no excuse for it

Maybe I should print off copies of this thread, stand outside the shop and hand it to people.

They might change their tune then.

C*unts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

Boils down to poor management, clearly if customers are coming across incorrect prices a lot of the time, you would give a member of staff the responsibility of getting it sorted out.

Advertisement