Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centra at Curragh Grange, Newbridge

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

funny how people say how they're repeatedly being overcharged at a specific shop.
    in other words, you hate being overcharged, but you keep going back.
    there lies the problem.
    if you're not happy shop elsewhere, don't come on here moaning about it while still going back each week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭rounding tattenham Corner

Don't be so quick to blame the staff as a lot of this is down to the epos system one company have a monopoly on musgrave epos. There software is full of bugs and their call center is always undermanned so they are struggling with all the calls, i know since i used to work for them, promotions\discounts not working was a major call, so only advice check your receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

funny how people say how they're repeatedly being overcharged at a specific shop.
    in other words, you hate being overcharged, but you keep going back.
    there lies the problem.
    if you're not happy shop elsewhere, don't come on here moaning about it while still going back each week.

I think you are missing a point: most people would use Centra or other convenient shops because they are local and have extended opening hours. This is the only shop in my area where I can go with my 2 kids without having to stuff them in the car for a 15 minutes drive to the nearest shopping centre.
    And telling people to shop elsewhere because the shop can't correct their mistakes is killing local business. It's not only for their own benefit when customers point out a pricing error. It's for the shop's too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Nanazolie wrote: »
    I think you are missing a point: most people would use Centra or other convenient shops because they are local and have extended opening hours. This is the only shop in my area where I can go with my 2 kids without having to stuff them in the car for a 15 minutes drive to the nearest shopping centre.
    And telling people to shop elsewhere because the shop can't correct their mistakes is killing local business. It's not only for their own benefit when customers point out a pricing error. It's for the shop's too

Exactly.

I live five minutes walk from this shop. The alternative is to walk 20 minutes or else drive into town and pay for parking. Plus I have three small children. Far easier to walk to the Centra with them than bundle them into the car. Effectively we are shopping there because there is no realistic or convenient alternative.

The problem lies with their inability to scan a correct price onto promotional items. I'll keep highlighting it to them and on this thread as long as it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Danno wrote: »
    This seems to be a widespread problem for outlets affiliated with Musgraves.
    Supervalu Killybegs has been the exact same as OP since it opened. I dont shop there as I dont live in the town anymore but friends and family do as its the basically the only shop in town and its a regular occurence that corrections have to be made with the excuse always being "the tills havent been updated yet"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

I work in a Supervalu.
    Price changes are ALL done by managers, checkout staff do NOT have any responsibility over prices, I have been known to roll my eyes when people point out an incorrect price to me, purely because I have been told about this by other customers and have informed the manager each time!! It does get frustrating, because people think that I am trying to overcharge them!!
    The reason a manager is called is because checkout staff cannot manually change the price of something at the checkout, only managers/supervisors, have the card/code to do so.
    Also, we do have to go down to the item to check the price because a lot of the time the customer has read it wrong eg. 200mls of shampoo on offer, not 400mls.
    Just said I'd put my two cents here as sometimes I have felt that customers are blaming me and that I am trying to rob them!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

I work in a Supervalu.
    Price changes are ALL done by managers, checkout staff do NOT have any responsibility over prices, I have been known to roll my eyes when people point out an incorrect price to me, purely because I have been told about this by other customers and have informed the manager each time!!

Isn't the solution for each till to have a small notepad and enter the item that was wrongly priced and for the manager on duty to check these each day and correct them. -

It is extremely easy to do, in my place when we went into about 600 items had been reduced. The entire price changes on those 600 items took less than an hour. Changing back to normal pricing after the sale took an hour too. There was the odd error and this was changed to correct price in seconds on the system, even mid sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I work in a Supervalu.
    Price changes are ALL done by managers, checkout staff do NOT have any responsibility over prices, I have been known to roll my eyes when people point out an incorrect price to me, purely because I have been told about this by other customers and have informed the manager each time!! It does get frustrating, because people think that I am trying to overcharge them!!
    The reason a manager is called is because checkout staff cannot manually change the price of something at the checkout, only managers/supervisors, have the card/code to do so.
    Also, we do have to go down to the item to check the price because a lot of the time the customer has read it wrong eg. 200mls of shampoo on offer, not 400mls.
    Just said I'd put my two cents here as sometimes I have felt that customers are blaming me and that I am trying to rob them!!:(

Encourage your customers to complain to the manager, shame the lazy overpaid ba$tard into doing their job correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

I get the same thing in my local Centra too. I've been caught so many times now that I watch very closely when the girls are scanning my stuff and stop them as soon as I see a discrepancy. This happened yesterday with a carton of juice that was supposed to be on offer for €1 but scanned in at 2.49. The worst time to go is on Sundays when the offers change.

Although it's not good that it's happening everywhere, I'm so relieved that it's not just me being a grumpy old boots :D

I work in a Supervalu.

I don't think anyone (in their right mind) is blaming you as a person. But you are on the frontline and you embody the shop, its pricing policy, the management, etc... And the customers who have to scan their receipt and wait for the errors to be corrected also face the anger of the other shoppers and thus put all the blame on you (again, not as a person, but as an entity). Don't take it personally, I worked in a customer service for years, people would blame me for the phone lines being too busy or for their post not being received on time. But really, they didn't blame "me", but the company, and I was representing it.
    As a customer, I feel frustrated when I go to a "convenience store" for a quick shop and end up wasting 3 times longer trying to get refunds on mispriced items. I generally point out before the girl scans the items that I know will be incorrectly priced (because they have been for some times and the management never changed the prices).

I think most people are annoyed about the repetition. It's ok to get errors every now and then, but if after a few times the price is still incorrect it sends the message that the shop either doesn't give a damn about its customers or is simply trying to screw them. There is also the issue of receipts not being handled, it should be compulsory to hand out a receipt for every transaction

• Advertisement

Was shopping in tesco with my mother a few months ago. A sign read
    frozen turkeys
    4.5kg-5.999kg 10.00
    6.0kg-7.999kg 15.00
    Mother buys a 5.950kg turkey and gets charged 15.00. We went to the customer service desk manager said that it was close to the bigger amount and that's why we were charged 15.00. She couldn't understand how we thought we were over charged. I am only 18 and I totally lost my patients with her and we were at the customer service desk which is beside the door and I walked over to the door and I started to tell customers they were over charging and to leave and lucky a woman did. We got our money back in the end.:) and I got her to admit she was in the wrong.:D

You know, it's a though job and I hope you won't have to face the amount of abuse these people in CS get on a daily basis. You were right and she was wrong, but unless she acted all pedantic, there was no reason to react the way you did. You could have just argued with her that the sticker said "up to 5.990kg" and your bird was 5.950kg, and if she persisted, ask her to call a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jammers197

Nanazolie wrote: »
    I don't think anyone (in their right mind) is blaming you as a person. But you are on the frontline and you embody the shop.

I think its a bit of a stretch to say those at the till embody the shop. It is just a shop after all. Many people working in these type of shops do so part-time as there is a more important element of their lives they wish to focus on whether it be college or families or whatever.
    I worked in this particular shop some months back and most customers were lovely and when these mistakes occured were understanding and used there common sense and realised it wasnt my personal error. It is a problem that needs to be solved higher up the ladder and we did use to leave items that werent scanning behind the counter for managers to fix , but it still happened
    When i worked there it was to fund my education and i am indebted to them for that but at the end of the day it wasnt life and death work in there. I wasnt paid nearly enough to put up the rudeness from customers who dont seem to realise that we have a life outside the shop and we and very easily be abrupt and nasty behind the counter. People say if your not polite behind the counter they'll find someone who is but even in my daily routine i walked into shops today where i was on the opposing side of bad customer care. I always made it my business to kill them with kindness which i thought was the least i could do.
    My little rant here has probably gone completely off topic but i got a little agitated when alot of anger was directed at the people behind the tills. More often than not the problem lies with the people in the office behind the tills or in the offices miles away and sadly they are not the ones in the firing line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

This issue hasn't gone away. The latest is a so-called discount for buying two packs of muffins. Cu'nts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

My Aunt owns a small shop, with a fairly modern epos system, and when the person scan's an item on offer it will come up on the price poll as full price, but when the cashier press sub total the till will give the promotion and deduct the nesscery discount as approiate, so please folks when you are in a shop and you buy a can of coke on special offer for 50c but comes up as a €1,so please wait till you are actually handing over the money before you question the discount,

Advertisement