Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are local elections a complete and utter waste of time?

Options
  • 24-05-2009 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this has ever been discussed before but do we really need local councillors at all, I'm not sure we do but I'm interested to hear other views on the subject. Most money comes to local government in the form of grants from central government, they dictate the services to be provided and how that money is spent. Looking at some of the manifestos of the local candidates, they don't offer anything apart from what's already there, promises that are way beyond them at a local level and the odd bit of street lighting.

They are handy though if you need some to lobby for u if u have applied for a grant or house or planning permission. I also think that posters should be banned, they make the place look a right mess and are distracting for the road user, and are a daily reminder of me feelings of apathy towards local politics. It seems to me that this particular election is just to be used as the first step in clearing out the current government.

To be honest I have no idea who to vote for! It doesn't seem to matter. I realize I might be completely wrong about all this, I want to be convinced otherwise. Also what role to councillors play in actually formulating local policy, and is there much local policy left, seems to me that policy is being made nationally to make lg functions all the time more uniform. Help! Someone please inform my ballot decisions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭truebluedub

In it's current form local government is not great with many local representatives double-jobbing (in the US they'd be out on their ear for that). Local government needs to be given stronger powers to make it relevant - this is why in Dublin there are plans for a directly elected Mayor which has been a policy of parties such as the Greens and Labour for some time now. Of course then you have to balance the need for strong local government against the tendency for corruption that has been displayed there in relation to the planning process (look through Prime Time's archives for this).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

suggest local government should continue and be imporved. As fistposter mentioned, more fundraising powers should be given - if private houses are taxed, the local authorities should levy, collect and spend it.

There is substantial local interest in county council and town council elections, which speaks for itself.

Advertisement