Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honey or Jam in porridge?

• 24-05-2009 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

From a nutritional standpoint which is better?

Not worried about weight but I like either a bit of jam or honey to sweeten my porridge and Im just wondering which would be better for me? or are they both really bad and would I be better of with something like Splenda?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Neither will offer much nutrition, the jam is probably made with processed sugar, but your honey is still basically sugar too. One thing to note is honey is sweeter per gram or per calorie than sucrose in the jam. So if you want a certain sweetness with lowest possible calories then honey is the way to go.

Glucose is less sweet than sucrose, so they use in in sports drinks so they are not sickly sweet at high sugar levels. Also glucose is high GI, it is 100 and the scale is based on it being 100.

I have strawberry sugar free flavouring with sucralose which I put in my oats & milk. Got it on www.myprotein.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

or another idea, while not exactly what you were asking, is a grated apple mixed into your porridge once it is cooked, unless the apple is particularly bitter you won't need jam or honey and you have one of your 5 a day!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

spaceylou wrote: »
    or another idea, while not exactly what you were asking, is a grated apple mixed into your porridge once it is cooked, unless the apple is particularly bitter you won't need jam or honey and you have one of your 5 a day!!

That sounds good, going to give it a try.

The jam is made with cane sugar, its one of those fancy ones but I thought at least the fact it has raspberries in it is something.

That sugar free strawberry stuff sounds good as well, might give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

When my porridge is freshly cooked and is hot i love to stick a spoon of peanut butter or almond butter right in the middle and let it melt then stir it around. hmmmmmmmm

Or you can buy hardened coconut and grate it over it too. NYOM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

ULstudent wrote: »
    When my porridge is freshly cooked and is hot i love to stick a spoon of peanut butter or almond butter right in the middle and let it melt then stir it around. hmmmmmmmm

Or you can buy hardened coconut and grate it over it too. NYOM

Tried the peanut butter this morning and it was absolutely delicious.

The coconut sounds gorgeous but is'nt coconut high in saturated fat?

Anyway there has been some great suggestions here. Thanks fella's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Tried the peanut butter this morning and it was absolutely delicious.

The coconut sounds gorgeous but is'nt coconut high in saturated fat?

Anyway there has been some great suggestions here. Thanks fella's.

True about the coconut but as far as im aware its has far more health benefits than costs. Compared to other fats - it is easily converted to energy.
    http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

Oh and also cinnamon. I like to sprinkle a little on my porridge and again mix it em. Yum
    Found em interesting to read

Advertisement