Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Derek Enlander (US ME/CFS & FMS expert) to speak in Dublin on June 18

Options
  • 24-05-2009 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

[I thought some of the readers of the long-term illness section of boards.ie might find this of interest]

The Irish ME/CFS Association is delighted to announce that Dr Derek Enlander
    has agreed to give a talk in Dublin.

Date: Thursday, June 18

Time: 7.45pm.

Venue: Mount Herbert Hotel, Herbert Road, off Lansdowne Road, Dublin 4.
    http://www.mountherberthotel.ie/findUs.html

Admission: 5 Euro (pre-booking is not required)

The Irish ME/CFS Association can be contacted at: PO Box 3075, Dublin 2.
    Tel: (01) 2350965 or E-mail: info@irishmecfs.org. All enquirers receive a free information pack.

The press release has not been finalised but details on Dr Enlander can be
    read at his website: http://www.enlander.com/ Dr Enlander has a special interest in ME, CFS and Fibromyalgia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

After one person asked, the hotel is offering a special conference rate of 69 Euro bed & breakfast for a single room, 79 Euro bed & breakfast for a double/twin room. (Neither I nor the Irish ME/CFS Association have any commercial interest in the hotel or benefit financially from this offer). Hope it's ok to mention this but it might facilitate some people going. Feel free to let others know about the event - there hasn't been as much media coverage as we were hoping for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The discussion/advertising of this event not been cleared with the moderators of this forum. Kangaroo- 1 week temp ban from this forum. Regards, SMcCarrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

smccarrick wrote: »
    The discussion/advertising of this event not been cleared with the moderators of this forum. Kangaroo- 1 week temp ban from this forum. Regards, SMcCarrick

U serious?
    What is that for??
    Seems a bit harsh.

Note: any event advertising- has to be cleared with forum moderators in advance- who will advise as to whether its appropriate to post the event- and where it would be posted. I am moving this post into the ME/CFS thread.

Kind regards,

SMcCarrick

glaston wrote: »
    U serious?
    What is that for??
    Seems a bit harsh.

It is harsh- we have had a big problem in this forum recently from people posting inappropriate links in threads to events that some people have via feedback said they thought constituted medical advice or guidance- one event in particular was queried by a consultant in that particular field. (None of these were from Kangaroo I hasten to add)

In future- any events- of any nature- have to be cleared with moderators in advance. If necessary- these will be discussed with Med/Sci cat mods- before being posted in this forum.

We are not trying to stiffle geniune discussion- we are trying to prevent inappropriate advice or information being disseminated to people who may in some cases be using the internet in an inappropriate manner.

We are not allowed to offer medical advice under any circumstances in this forum- hence what can often be viewed as slightly heavy handed moderating on the part of moderators.

Kind regards,

SMcCarrick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

smccarrick wrote: »
    It is harsh- we have had a big problem in this forum recently from people posting inappropriate links in threads to events that some people have via feedback said they thought constituted medical advice or guidance- one event in particular was queried by a consultant in that particular field. (None of these were from Kangaroo I hasten to add)

In future- any events- of any nature- have to be cleared with moderators in advance. If necessary- these will be discussed with Med/Sci cat mods- before being posted in this forum.

Thanks for the prompt reply but..
    What makes the Med/Sci cat mods qualified to decide what medical info people can or cannot get access to?

I was at a cardiology conference a while back, a number of cardiologists from the main teaching hospitals couldnt agree on the regime for use of ACE inhibitors and statins etc. My point being that you will get very different opinions between docs in the same specific field.

Personally I think most alternative medicine is complete quackery but I dont deny people the right to access info and use it if they want to do so.

glaston wrote: »
    Thanks for the prompt reply but..
    What makes the Med/Sci cat mods qualified to decide what medical info people can or cannot get access to?

I was at a cardiology conference a while back, a number of cardiologists from the main teaching hospitals couldnt agree on the regime for use of ACE inhibitors and statins etc. My point being that you will get very different opinions between docs in the same specific field.

Personally I think most alternative medicine is complete quackery but I dont deny people the right to access info and use it if they want to do so.

It is not the purpose of this forum to provide medical advice- fullstop. It is a venue for people to discuss their conditions, illnesses and diagnosis as they pertain to themselves. Anyone who posts in this forum seeking medical advice- will be immediately told to consult their physician or consultant- and their thread will be closed, until such time as they have a definitive diagnosis and would like to chat to other people in similar circumstances. If/where medical advice is sought or offered- it is immediately shut down however. Compare notes by all means- but offering or seeking medical advice is out of bounds.

I do understand what you are saying- and my own personal opinions might not be a million miles from yours vis-a-vis alternative medicine and various other flavour of the month treatments for many different conditions. I don't have an issue with someone stating 'I have condition X, and have found treatment Y to be beneficial- what are other people's experiences of it- and how do they compare to mine?' However if someone sought advice on this forum as to whether they should commence on treatment Y as a treatment for condition X- the thread will get locked- and the poster referred to their consultant....... We are not going to offer advice here- compare notes by all means- but not offer advice.

I hope this has somewhat clarified matters.

With kind regards,

SMcCarrick

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

did anyone attend this meeting, is there a report anywhere?

I can give a factual short response. But I don't want to risk another ban so am not going to until I get the all clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

go for it.

In fairness to shane, kangaroo, a pm to any of us would have resulted in getting the ok to post the OP. We just need to make sure that this is a genuine resource for people and not a "come to my seminar and I'll show you how to cure ME with vinegar" type deal, you know?

• Advertisement

The brother of one of the members of the Irish ME/CFS Association recorded the talk (for free) (we're all volunteers). All things being equal (e.g. something doesn't happen to the recording, the Irish ME/CFS Association's finances don't suddenly deteriorate, etc) a free DVD will be sent out with the newsletter to the members later in the year and, for others, the DVD will be available to buy (most likely for less than €10).

We have received good feedback from the talk with people pleased that he covered lots of drugs that are out there. One person did say they found it a bit technical. Out of the 65 or so people there, there might well people who were unhappy with some aspect of it but half a dozen or so people who I have talked to were happy with it overall and pleased they put in the effort to go (going to things can be quite a "cost" in terms of energy and "payback" for people affected) and thanked us for arranging it. There were people there from 11 counties.

The Irish Medical Times published an article on Dr Enlander to coincide with the talk, "Belfast-born doctor pushes ME research" - it's at:
    http://www.imt.ie/opinion/2009/06/belfastborn_doctor_pushes_me_r.html

Advertisement