Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wiring up TV and units

• 24-05-2009 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all
    I hope you can help, but I suspect that this question is a common one.

I have a Samsung HD TV with plenty of HDMI sockets and an optical port, Samsung Blue ray player with HDMI and optical port, Samsung Home cinema with HDMI and Optical port, Sky HD box.

I currently have everything connected with HDMI cables, and an optical cable connecting my blue ray to the home cinema.

Please could you advise me if this is the best wiring set up for the units ? I am getting mixed advice on this one. I am being told that I should have the optical connecting the Sky box to the Home cinema box. If this is the case, will by blue ray produce the best sound output via the HDMI cable ? The home cinema only has 1 optical port, so I am unable to connect both the Sky and Blue ray at the same time.

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

Nick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

The home cinema only has 1 optical port, so I am unable to connect both the Sky and Blue ray at the same time.

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

Nick

If I'm reading you right you have the blu-ray connected by HDMI therefore you don't need to connect it by the optical (audio) as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nickmoosehead

Hi There. Yes all units are connected to the TV by HDMI. I was advised to connect the Blue ray to the home cinema with an optical cable also so that I would get 5.1 dolby and improved sound. I guess my question is do I need the optical at all if everything is connected with HDMI ? or does the optical still give me advantages over the cable ? Many thanks Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Unplug the optical and see/hear if you notice a difference ;)

Looking at the HDMI specs on wikipedia, it mentions support for multiple audio formats, but some of them are dependent on more recent implementations of the specs, so you might want to check which flavours of HDMI your equipment have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nickmoosehead

Hi and thanks for your reply. I was told that the optical would send proper dolby signals to the cinema system, and the Sky HD box would not be able to send the same via the HDMI cable. I will try and unplug to see how it sounds. Nick

Advertisement