Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English paper 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

For Poetry it's essential to have strong opinions on your poets folks.
    Id be jotting down 4 or 5 feelings for each poem, by each poet :D

Oh, and Keats, Bishop, Longley and Montague I think, there's always a surprise - Montague

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    For Poetry it's essential to have strong opinions on your poets folks.
    Id be jotting down 4 or 5 feelings for each poem, by each poet :D

Oh, and Keats, Bishop, Longley and Montague I think, there's always a surprise - Montague

is montague is on it , then longley wont be.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lorr3

loads seem to discounting rich...i dunno she is a terrible poet to try study but im wondering will they be cheaky and put her up two years..they did it with bishop and plus bishop is always on:) just thinkin out loud...im not leavin her out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

Macbeth
    Lady Macbeth
    Banquo
    Witches
    Macbeth
    Kingship
    Apperance vs. Reality
    Good vs. Evil

Compatative
    General Vision and Viewpoint
    Cultural Context

Poetry
    Bishop
    Longley
    Keats
    Walcott

.... Sidenote : if you do those four poets you cant be caught out, unless they repeat three of the poets that came up last year.

lorr3 wrote: »
    loads seem to discounting rich...i dunno she is a terrible poet to try study but im wondering will they be cheaky and put her up two years..they did it with bishop and plus bishop is always on:) just thinkin out loud...im not leavin her out.

The problem with Rich is not that she was up last year; it's that she's on the syllabus for next year, too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 XorlamacX

does anyone have any macbeth essays they could give me via the net....out english teacher was soooooooooooo bad weve nothin to go on........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

how long should an answer be in each section? i think i wote a little more the 3 pages on macbeth, comparitive and poetry in the mocks. just wondering what is an acceptable amount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

galway.gaa wrote: »
    how long should an answer be in each section? i think i wote a little more the 3 pages on macbeth, comparitive and poetry in the mocks. just wondering what is an acceptable amount

I usually end up doing six or seven but I think 4 would be the minimum for each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

Monzo wrote: »
    I usually end up doing six or seven but I think 4 would be the minimum for each.
    tanks but its hard to find the time to get that much written. i got a B3 in the mocks with written that much. i wold write more but id be afraid of running out of time

• Advertisement

galway.gaa wrote: »
    tanks but its hard to find the time to get that much written. i got a B3 in the mocks with written that much. i wold write more but id be afraid of running out of time

Don't mind what other people say they write: it's completely irrelevant. Some people only write 6-7 words per line, whereas others (me being one) write closer to 12 or 13. That means that one person could write 14 pages and another write 7, but both have exactly the same word count.

Besides, it's quality, and not quantity, that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

what are you guys doing for your single text?
    if anybodys doing regeneration, what characters are you studying? i only know Prior and Sassoon, not an awful lot about Rivers though...

who were you guys told to know in depth?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

lorr3 wrote: »
    yeah see they could do that.. beacuse isnt there only two female poets on the course? (i could be wrong but i dont think so..) soo... they might try and catch everybody out because the obvious peot to know is Bishop because Rich was up last year.

three poets we were told to know in depth is Rich, Bishop and Montague.
    Thats female and irish poets covered!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Anyone else only doing bishop?
    Only done Bishop so far. Plan to do Longely and Walcott too but finding it pretty hard. Anyone got any notes ready to throw towards me for Longely or Walcott?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

quick question is everybody doing walcott and keats?? it seems like everyone is

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Yes, I'm going to stick to them and throw in Bishop aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭eshortie

Macbeth:
    Kingship, Deception (Appearance VS Reality). That's it big risk...just those two???

Poerty
    Walcott, Bishop and Longley are big tips even by 2fm so I'm sticking to them only.

Comparitive:
    Cultural Context and Theme/Issue......General Vision is horrible.

Any one gotany advice for acbeth I'm pretty poor at it...never liked it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Black kettle

Macbeth:
    Theme of evil
    Macbeth tragic hero or villain
    Striking images and symbols
    Most striking themes: power, regret, good vs evil etc.

Comparative Study:
    Cultural Context
    General Vision and Viewpoint

Poetry:
    Michael Longley
    Elizabeth Bishop
    John Montague
    Adrienne Rich

Has anyone noticed that Bishop and Longley have always come up together???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 James90626

Macbeth:
    Macbeth Character essay
    Evil
    Banquo

Comparative:
    Cultural Context
    Theme of Relationship

Poetry:
    Longley
    Bishop

I have only prepared two poets...would I be okay for the poetry section?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Montague can replace Longley while Rich can replace Bishop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

what does kingship mean? like what would you write about for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

For my Kingship essay the basic structure I have is

Intro --> Ideal of Kingship in Elizabethan times

1st Paragraph- clothing imagery used to show how Kingship is shown to be devalued as it is negotiable

2nd paragraph- Kingaship as seen through Duncan

3rd Paragraph- Kingship as seen through Malcolm

4th Paragraph- Kingship as shown through Edward

5th Paragraph- tie everything together and compare with Macbeth

Conclusion- ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

what does kingship mean? like what would you write about for it?

Even though it's been linked to before- I'll go again.

http://www.zulunotes.com/wiki/index.php/Kingship%2C_with_its_potential_for_good_or_evil%2C_is_a_major_theme_in_Macbeth

This is good. I pretty much stole all of yer one's ideas... With just a dabble of my own style and some rewording and what have you, and got my teacher to correct it. A-muthafookin-1 bitchezzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

Every year theres a surprise poet on the paper, one most people weren't expecting. Could be Montague given he turned 80 this year

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

i'm fairly sure Montague will come up (its a shame i never studied him)

my theory is as follows. for the 2007 syllabus they named there eight poets, obviously four came up. for 2008 syllabus they named eight poets, (four of which overlaped with the eight from 2007, but three of these four actually came up in the 2007 paper, so the one of the four that overlapped that didn't come up in 2007, was on the paper in 2008).

i think this is because of people repeating, they need to give them a poet that they would've learned for their first attempt so they wouldn't have to study five poets in one year.

the overlapping poets between the 2008 and 2009 syllabi (plural of syllabus?) are mahon, larkin, rich and montague. unfortunately rich, mahon and larkin came up last year, leaving montague for the people that are repeating.

if this doesn't make sense i'm sure ye'll let me no and i'l try to clarify.

p.s. in 2008 it was Donne that came up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

Walcott hasn't come up in 10 years I think, whats the chances of him suddenly coming up now?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

......................its his first year on the course:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

ok well what im doing is studying
    NO.1 bishop.
    NO.2 longely
    NO.3 montague

im pretty certain that walcott will come up too but i dont really like him tbh so i think il stay away from him!

and for macbeth i have an essay on the witches planned out already and what im thinking is planning one on evil, macbeth, kingship and appearance vs reality..... what ye think????????????

oh and G.V.V for comparitive..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

leesmom wrote: »
    why are so many people doing kingship? the question in 2007 or 2004 about power its use and abuse was essentially a kingship question if you read the marking scheme, my teacher gave us an essay on it but dont think in going to do it(could be crying on june 3rd or 4th or whatever day paper 2 is on tho!:mad:)
    concentrating on keats,bishop,rich and longley(even though i hate his depressing poetry!!)
    then cultural context key moments and vision and viewpoint key moments.

I heard from the institute that it was kingship, but thats not set and stone, and anyway you can adjust power to go with kingship, they go hand in hand

Advertisement