Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English paper 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

emm i was in school there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

Is Walcott on the syllabus next year? It could be kingship seeing as theres a little pattern (2 years, than 3 years) but I doubt it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Power-surge

ImJohn wrote: »
    Is Walcott on the syllabus next year? It could be kingship seeing as theres a little pattern (2 years, than 3 years) but I doubt it really.

I hope Kingship doesnt come up.
    I'd say Banquo might because he hasnt come up since 1987.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

alot of people ars saying a question on banquo will come up but i dont what kind of question they can ask about him. really he plays a very small part in the play, like what kind of question can be asked and how would you write a 4 or 5 page essay on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

he was asked in 87 something about banquo not being the innocent soldier we thought when we first met him, have the question there somewhere. but yeah he could be asked i just hope hes not.
    it wouldnt be that hard a question just dont have the time to do it now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Great, I just spent about 3 hours studying Adrienne Rich.

Anyway, I'm doing:

Poetry:
    Rich
    Bishop
    Longley
    Montague
    Larkin

Macbeth:
    Eh.. No idea. I'll just wing it on the day.

Comparative:
    Cultural context/Theme.

The CC and theme I'm using both relate to eachother though so it doesn't matter what comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

galway.gaa wrote: »
    alot of people ars saying a question on banquo will come up but i dont what kind of question they can ask about him. really he plays a very small part in the play, like what kind of question can be asked and how would you write a 4 or 5 page essay on him?

That's what I thought before I started preparing an essay on him. After reading notes, taking notes and reading essays Banquo seems a lot more important. His role is twofold; first he acts as a foil to Macbeth, secondly he provides a contrast with him. Macbeth spirals deeper into insanity when Banquo's ghost appears to him and possibly wouldn't have become such a tyrant if Fleance had been killed and Banquo not haunted him. Also Banquo hears the prophecy and suspects Macbeth but doesn't say anything which raises interesting questions.

There's quite a bit to write about if you think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

I kind of go more along the lines:
    Has symmetry with Macbeth, undergoes a similar moral decline.
    Struggles with temptation, like Macbeth. Banquo's 'cursed thoughts that nature gives way to in repose' are similar to Macbeth's 'black and deep desires'
    Then more stuff on him pledging allegiance to a king who he fears 'playdst most foully for it'. Says his loyalty is 'an insoluble tie forever knit'. Naive in how he plays in to Macbeth's hands by answering questions about his and fleances whereabouts that afternoon.
    Ultimately he becomes a symbol for tyrannical and unscrupulous reign of Macbeth. He becomes a martyr, all his indiscretions are forgotten as he is cruelly murdered...etc

Come to think of it I'd love if he came up, with Macbeth or on his own...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Futurism wrote: »
    Great, I just spent about 3 hours studying Adrienne Rich.

Anyway, I'm doing:

Poetry:
    Rich
    Bishop
    Longley
    Montague
    Larkin

Macbeth:
    Eh.. No idea. I'll just wing it on the day.

Comparative:
    Cultural context/Theme.

The CC and theme I'm using both relate to eachother though so it doesn't matter what comes up.

Holy Fu*k! How many poems did ya do? Did ya do a question aswell!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Piste wrote: »
    That's what I thought before I started preparing an essay on him. After reading notes, taking notes and reading essays Banquo seems a lot more important. His role is twofold; first he acts as a foil to Macbeth, secondly he provides a contrast with him. Macbeth spirals deeper into insanity when Banquo's ghost appears to him and possibly wouldn't have become such a tyrant if Fleance had been killed and Banquo not haunted him. Also Banquo hears the prophecy and suspects Macbeth but doesn't say anything which raises interesting questions.

There's quite a bit to write about if you think about it.

Do they not mean the same thing?

Anyway, yeah, Banquo. God. Yeah. If he comes up I'm fairly fucked.
    I did get some EXCELLENT notes somewhere, but, yeah. I'm still fairly clueless.
    C'mon kingship!
    As I mentionned before, I don't know the basic storyline of the text. I'm banking on a nice, easy question.
    And, meh, I'm not even ashamed of myself. Yes, I enjoy English... but yes, I also enjoy dossing/ generally avoiding study. Ah y'know.

• Advertisement

bythewoods wrote: »
    but yes, I also enjoy dossing/ generally avoiding study. Ah y'know.

I hear ya :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pala!

I highly doubt Banquo will come up, I'm pretty fecked also if it does. I could maybe squeeze something out but not much. But why would they put him up? He hasn't been up since 1987 or whatever, why now? Why just throw him in? Don't think so.

On the Kingship one which everyone is speaking about, I haven't really covered it. What would you speak about?

- Duncan's kind reign but ultimately his "goodness" leads to his downfall.
    - (Divine Right of Kings) CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS OR GIVE ME A LINK ON HOW THIS FACTORS IN!
    - MacBeth's tyranny as king.
    - Malcom's future reign.

Pala! wrote: »
    I highly doubt Banquo will come up, I'm pretty fecked also if it does. I could maybe squeeze something out but not much. But why would they put him up? He hasn't been up since 1987 or whatever, why now? Why just throw him in? Don't think so.

By that logic they would just have the same questions every year since they cant bring anything up if it didn't come up last time?:confused:

Also kingship came up in 95(?) I think, and 'power its use and abuse' came up a few years ago... I can't see how people rationalize that Kingship is likely to come up, well moreover than any other Theme / Character.

True, but I'm saying what you are saying. Why are everyone banking on Banquo? I seen almost everyone mention him for some reason, its possible but I can't see him on his own. Possibly a comparisson with MacBeth.

I'm hoping for a question on McBeth's downfall or feeling pity for him.

That's been up recently? I'm not sure, but its the easiest for me and it came up in my mocks.

I wouldnt take what came up in your mocks as any indication as they are made by an independent company with no affiliation to the SEC.
    On Banquo, ya I would agree that he isn't a really likely question, but if it has come up before they could easily bring it up again as kind of a dark horse question. Admittedly if he came up I would think it would be a comparison to Mabeth.

Des23 wrote: »
    I wouldnt take what came up in your mocks as any indication as they are made by an independent company with no affiliation to the SEC.
    On Banquo, ya I would agree that he isn't a really likely question, but if it has come up before they could easily bring it up again as kind of a dark horse question. Admittedly if he came up I would think it would be a comparison to Mabeth.

No, not saying it will. But just hopeing. heh.

I really hope Banquo doesn't come up in any form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 alalaaa

I'm doing cultural context and general vision for the comparative. I have a few essays done out in both, only lost one or two marks in them so they should be ok to learn off for thursday!

for the poetry i was originally just gonna stick with longley bishop and keats but i really don't like keats so i think i'll change it for Rich. She's pretty easy to answer on so it should be easy enough to revise what answers i ahve on her..

for Macbeth... well.. i really don't have a clue what to go over! our teacher thinks they could give a character question on lady macbeth so i'll probably study that and then a few bit and pieces on kingship, power,, etc. I can't see Banquo coming up eithere though saying that i'll probably study him anyway! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

poetry
    1. Bishop
    2. Larkin
    3. Longley
    4. Mahon
    might quickly do a bit of either rich or montague. We didn't do walcott or keats.

macbeth
    I was planning on just learning loads of quotes and just going from there.

comparative
    we've done 2 essays on each this year so I think I'm fairly set. Did well in them all and didn't use notes when I was doing them.
    I'd love if theme came up, but it's come up every second year and was up last year so unless they decide to break the pattern it's looking doubtfull!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

What about sympathy for Macbeth?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

How many comparative essays has everyone got prepared? I'm thinking of leaving out vision & viewpoint and just going with theme and c.c. Is that too much of a risk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

No, only two come up on the paper so even if Gen V&V comes up, you will still have whichever of the other two that comes up, learned off. We didn't even study the third one, we only did Cultural Context and Theme. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Des23 wrote: »

according to jim lusby banquo came up in 1987 (i think) in a question about the 'innocent soldier'. You'll have to go to the www.rte.ie/exams podcast to hear the exact question but note where he said you needed to focus to get the A.

Im studying Banquo, it would not surprise me at all to see him come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

No, only two come up on the paper so even if Gen V&V comes up, you will still have whichever of the other two that comes up, learned off. We didn't even study the third one, we only did Cultural Context and Theme. :)

So has literary genre been abandoned completely then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

sron wrote: »

it isn't on the course for this year i don't think...

sron wrote: »

1. [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The Comparative Modes for Examination in 2009 are:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Higher Level (i) Theme or Issue [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif](ii) The General Vision and Viewpoint [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif](iii) The Cultural Context[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ordinary Level (i) Theme[/FONT]
    1. [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Relationships[/FONT]
    2. [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Social Setting[/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 buggeryboo

what percentage of the english exam is the comparative worth because i am absolutely screwwwwwed for it :(
    am doing cultural context
    teacher spent like 2 classes maximum doing it :(

buggeryboo wrote: »
    what percentage of the english exam is the comparative worth because i am absolutely screwwwwwed for it :(
    am doing cultural context
    teacher spent like 2 classes maximum doing it :(

70/400

is that 17.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I've decided to switch around Macbeth and Regeneration. I'm now doing my single text on Regeneration and my Comparative on Macbeth (and The curious incident of the dog in the night time and the truman show).

• Advertisement

I've decided to switch around Macbeth and Regeneration. I'm now doing my single text on Regeneration and my Comparative on Macbeth (and The curious incident of the dog in the night time and the truman show).

not a bad idea.....the corrector will be sick to the back teeth of reading macbeth as the single text and will love you

Advertisement