Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English paper 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

In Macbeth answers, will you be penalised for not writing the source of your quotes (Act II, Scene I, etc.)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Monzo wrote: »
    In Macbeth answers, will you be penalised for not writing the source of your quotes (Act II, Scene I, etc.)?

the corrector wouldnt be much of a corrector if he/she didnt know what part of the text a quote came from. As well as that wouldn't it take away from the flow of the text to be putting in numbers after every quote?

I have no idea about the marking but I would much rather read an essay without the act 2 scene 1 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Can I just check something, is EVERY paper 2 answer supposed to have a personal response, even if it's not explicitly stated inthe question? Like in poetry if you got "Write an Introduction to the Poetry of Derek Walcott" would it be necessary to have an element of personal response in it? Likewise if there was a question about "The Cultural Context has significant impact on the behaviour of the central characters in a text" would you be expected to put in a personal response there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭piggies

yep apparently the examiners love personal engagement with all your texts so try to put in your own response to everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

Piste wrote: »
    Can I just check something, is EVERY paper 2 answer supposed to have a personal response, even if it's not explicitly stated inthe question? Like in poetry if you got "Write an Introduction to the Poetry of Derek Walcott" would it be necessary to have an element of personal response in it? Likewise if there was a question about "The Cultural Context has significant impact on the behaviour of the central characters in a text" would you be expected to put in a personal response there?

Well the marks for purpose go for answering the question asked of you, so if you did give a personal response when you weren't asked for one, then you'd probably lose marks there.
    Thats what I'd say anyway, I don't know for sure!

• Advertisement

My rule of thumb: don't give anything too personal if technically it's expected to be read by many other people (I'm not talking about the examiner. I'm saying if you were really giving an introduction to somebody's poetry for a newspaper or something). For example, if you really were writing an introduction (or a speech) to someone's poetry, it would really be read by a large number of people; you wouldn't want to influence their interpretations of the poets work by your own personal opinions. I only give a mainly personal response if it's explicitly stated. Keep your personal response to a minimum if technically it's a formal piece of writing.

Likewise for the comparative I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭piggies

i really don't agree..

the examiners LOVE a personal engagement with any tect, it makes your essay much more interesting and different to anyone elses.

the marking scheme even states that marks are awarded for a student's engagement with a text..!

go to examinations.ie and look at the marking scheme!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pala!

Do you think I am safe with:

Michael Longley
    John Montague
    Elizabeth Bishop

...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

google jim lusby personal response

from what i can make out you go for the personal response in poetry whether they ask for it or not because poetry does not mean anything (his words not mine). It merely suggests things

dunno about the texts

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

piggies wrote: »
    i really don't agree..

the examiners LOVE a personal engagement with any tect, it makes your essay much more interesting and different to anyone elses.

the marking scheme even states that marks are awarded for a student's engagement with a text..!

go to examinations.ie and look at the marking scheme!:)

Well to be honest I'd interpret students engagement with a text as having read and understood it, and forming their own opinion on it. whereas personal response for say cultural context would be talking about religion in the texts, then saying how it affected you. Which no one gives a sh1t about really, unless they ask. I dunno thats just how I interpret the phrase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

As far as I know, there should be no 'I' unless it is explicitly asked for.

You can engage with the text by presenting you own ideas, just not in the form 'I think...' or 'In my opinion...'.
    Write it in the definite article i.e. 'There is clearly a comparison between..'
    It makes you seem more confident anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aleyra

Comparative: GV and V only. It better come up

Poetry: Bishop , Walcott and Keats or Longley not too sure yet

Macbeth. i dont know how to study it!
    I dont see the point in learning off essays cause there is no guarentee that the exact question will come up. For Othello last year i hardly did any study on it, but knew the play fairly well . I winged it on the day and it turned out alright. Im just gonna keep reading over my notes, learn my quotes and hope for the best! :rolleyes:

Ok so I had an old gawk at the marking scheme and in every petry question, whether a response was explicitly asked for or not, there was an instruction to "reward personal response" so looks like I'll have to stick in a few "I think" and "I feel" along the way.

In cultural context there was a guideline that a candedate "should display some or all of the following" and among the criteria listed was "show response and reaction to a text as a reader". I think from the "some or all" that it's not strictly necessary but probably a good idea to include it. I think it'd be a bit hard though if you're asked to talk about something very objective =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭bricky10

Come on Baquo or deception, they better come up. Longley aswell!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

I have Montague,Bishop and Longley prepared.I honestly think one of them is bound to come up.I have two other poets prepared as back up but not in so much detail as those three. Fingers crossed for tomorow now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Hypothetical question lads!

Let's imagine that this morning, in a centre, students were given Paper 2 by mistake. Students saw Paper 2 questions before Supervisor noticed and collected them back up. Will Paper 2 be changed for the people in that centre tomorrow? All centre's in the town? County? Province? Country? Or would said students just be extremely lucky?

Like I said, hypothetical.

Known to have happened before, and it was not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 DimestoreSaint

:D:D

Strictly hypothetical! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭phase-3

Yeah hope Banquo comes up.

:D:D

Strictly hypothetical! ;)

I don't believe it's hypothetical, I believe you're just making it up to get people excited. I doubt it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

hypothetical eh?

Lets just say hypotheticaly, what might come up for MacBeth?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

saw the superintendants walking down passed me this morning about an hour before the exam with the papers in those plastic envelope things was so tempted to grab them of them,same time tomorrow:D
    in school today everyone thinks banquo is coming up.....DECEPTION PLEEEAAAAASSSEEE:p

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mongey

Mr.S wrote: »
    How much do you right for each question?

Like how much for the Single text (60 marks)
    Comparative (70marks)
    Poetry - Unseen (20marks)
    - Prescribed (50 marks)

I know people say blah blah quality>quantity, but in general, how much does everyone write?

Single Text = 3 pages
    Comparative = 5 pages
    Poetry - Unseen = 1 - 1 1/2 pages
    - Prescribed = 3 pages

That seem right?

2 pages for the first part of the Comparative and 3 for the second part?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

I am hearing left, right and center that Banquo is set to come up for one of the Macbeth questions tomorrow. If a question on Banquo does come up what type of a question would it be?
    I can't find any question in the past papers that would be similar.

Isaac702 wrote: »
    I am hearing left, right and center that Banquo is set to come up for one of the Macbeth questions tomorrow. If a question on Banquo does come up what type of a question would it be?
    I can't find any question in the past papers that would be similar.

http://www.independent.ie/education/shakespeare/macbeth-the-questions-over-the-years-1225795.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Wow I'm SUPER screwed for tomorrow. Here's what I've done(most of it isn't even learned, just written out):

Poetry: Keats, might look over Longley/Montague

Comparative: Cultural Context, that is all.

Single Text: The theme of the supernatural(which could be turned into evil if stuck? maybe?), kingship.

Oh it's gonna be a fun night.....

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Longley and Walcott are my two preferred poets so I hope one of them comes up. Can't stand Keats!

Will need to cram for Macbeth - can't get my head round the quotes at all, and should be grand for the Comparative (My Oedipus Complex, The Third Man & The Plough and the Stars).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭yummy91

Keats all the way, but will look over walcott too. Macbeth and comparative are handy enough, just need to learn the quotes and stuff jusy, everything else comes ok. :o hopefully it will anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Power-surge

Banquo or deception please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Longley
    Cultural context.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭louliewan

For my Kingship essay the basic structure I have is

Intro --> Ideal of Kingship in Elizabethan times

1st Paragraph- clothing imagery used to show how Kingship is shown to be devalued as it is negotiable

2nd paragraph- Kingaship as seen through Duncan

3rd Paragraph- Kingship as seen through Malcolm

4th Paragraph- Kingship as shown through Edward

5th Paragraph- tie everything together and compare with Macbeth

Conclusion- ?????
    What about Sweno(the king of Norway)? Would you bother with him?
    Excellent structure for answer.

• Advertisement

I dunno, I wouldn't, he does't do much or stand for anything as a king. Dunno if you could even say he betrays Duncan as he has no loyalty to him in the first place.

Advertisement