Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English paper 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

I don't understand this craic of "OH MA GAWD, YOU HAVEN'T LEARNED A 4 PAGE ESSAY OFF BY HEART?" thing in Honours English.

If you can't put together an essay yourself without learning off someone else's words, you're just taking the piss of what it is to be good at English. Obviously you need the odd quote to show your knowledge of the text, but really. Learning off essays, get real folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

kevogy wrote: »
    if it dosn't ask specificly to comment on the writers style,
    should you anyway?

i'm not great on features of style with any poet but i am good with themes

E.G.
    "Its easy to identify with the poetry of derek wallcott"
    do you agree with this statement

4 paragraphs on theme of love and berevement with 4 poems. thats what i'd do.
    is this ok?

do i need to talk about language, imagery, metaphors, contrast etc

I think you should comment on the style if it's applicable to the question. In fact for the question you just gave as an example I would definitely talk about the stylistic features of the poet. For example, if you mentioned imagery, you could say how it allows you to immerse yourself within the world created by the poet.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Claypigeon wrote: »
    I don't understand this craic of "OH MA GAWD, YOU HAVEN'T LEARNED A 4 PAGE ESSAY OFF BY HEART?" thing in Honours English.

If you can't put together an essay yourself without learning off someone else's words, you're just taking the piss of what it is to be good at English. Obviously you need the odd quote to show your knowledge of the text, but really. Learning off essays, get real folks.

Yes I agree it is wrong to learn off an essay that someone else has written and that's why teachers give you essays to do. He/she will mark them and should give you points as to where you can improve etc.

You should then take what you've written and the advice your teacher has given you and then write more essays as part of your study to help you refresh your memory so that you can write a great essay in the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

That_Guy wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I hope you've at least learned some quotes.

well to be honest as long as you no the story and the odd quote you can answer most macbeth questions

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Frolick

Key thing in Macbeth is not to summarize the play, which most people do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Aye, I am going to do what I can tonight.
    Watch the Macbeth dvd, read over all notes I have on Montague and Bishop. Up at 7 tomorrow to do up a list of 5 general cc alikes and differences on the comparative.

That above is the ultimate crash course in revision for tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

well to be honest as long as you no the story and the odd quote you can answer most macbeth questions

Quotes are essential to answering the Macbeth question. Trust me I've done the LC I know. Took me a while to memorize some of the more important quotes but I did it and I answered the question relatively well I feel.

As a previous poster stated.... It's important not to summarise Macbeth. (Great tip by the way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Anyone have any tips on how to structure a cultural context essay? It all seems like waffle to me.

Or if you had a sample cultural context essay on philadelphia here i come, secret life of bees and cinema paradiso that'd be great. Already one here but it's pretty sh1t: http://www.allhonours.ie/node/3236

I know I'm leaving it late but I only studied General vision and viewpoint cos I thought it'd be definite to come up but now...

Quotes are important, but not as important as having some actual substance to your answer.

There was a link a few days ago on here with about 15 essentials, cut that down to 10 you feel are most relevant and develop some actual opinions
    and you'll be better off.

Also try weave quotes in and out instead of throwing down 5 lines of a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

Claypigeon wrote: »

Exactly. I will read over everything this evening, memorise what's important (I mean key points) and just extend it and structurise it in exam.
    Like, for comparative - if I get cultural context I know that I'm going to write about setting and location, social class division and family life (and religion if I have time). For general vision and viewpoint I know relationships and portrayal of society. That's it, read over it twice, have the books/films in mind and go for it :). Similarly is poetry - "Bishop eye", "Longley eye" :D, metaphors, similes, alliterations, theme, tone and other stuff. If you remember the poems or at least know what they're about you can do it :).
    Similar is Macbeth, just don't summarise the actual play. For me Macbeth - imagery, imagery and imagery - how it affects the characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Macbeth: . . . .I know a few quotes . . .

Poetry: I know Walcott fairly well, knew Bishop in fifth year, sorta know Rich and Keats

Comparative: Cultural context and theme

I'm sorted, right! :D

Macbeth: . . . .I know a few quotes . . .

Poetry: I know Walcott fairly well, knew Bishop in fifth year, sorta know Rich and Keats

Comparative: Cultural context and theme

I'm sorted, right! :D

If I were you i'd be learning off some more Keats stuff. He is still highly likely to make an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    If I were you i'd be learning off some more Keats stuff. He is still highly likely to make an appearance.
    Nice one. He's my favourite too.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mongey

Poetry: Only have Bishop prepared.
    Macbeth: Quotes, Kingship and Banquo (lul) learnt
    Comparative: Have Cultural Context ready.

I might need to do aother poet....
    How many words (aprox.) does the comparative essay have to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

i have one question.i'm no good at remembering quotes from poetry so would i still get the marks if i reference instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

For English can someone tell me how to define cultural context and theme and issue. I know it's really basic, but even in class I kept confusing them. I just sort of used to write an essay that had both to cover my options.
    So if anyone has an easy brief explanation and cares to share
    thanks! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

For cultural context it's very vague, say something like "the aspects which help to create a unique sense of place within the texts" then talk about those aspects (for example I'm going family life, roles of men and women, attitude to money and power and values within the culture"

For theme and issue say something like "X is a theme which is often explored through literature and is particularly evident in all three texts I have studied" (mine is the search for meaning and value)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Frolick wrote: »
    Key thing in Macbeth is not to summarize the play, which most people do
    Our teacher really tried to drive that into our heads in 5th Year. I wasn't sure if I was doing that or not but she never noted it when correcting my homework so I assume I'm doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Mongey wrote: »
    Poetry: Only have Bishop prepared.
    Macbeth: Quotes, Kingship and Banquo (lul) learnt
    Comparative: Have Cultural Context ready.

I might need to do aother poet....
    How many words (aprox.) does the comparative essay have to be?

same boat as u , but tbh i cant really be botherd doing anymore work today ! iv lost all my drive :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Hey
    I was wondering if someone could please help me
    what is the difference between cultural context and general vision and view point.What different things would you write in them.I know thhat general vision and viewpoint is the view of the author but other than that is it extremely similar to cultural context?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Power-surge

What are the best things to study now?? (for Macbeth) Im not a person who learns 20 quotes and tries to wing it on the day, doesnt work for me!

Is this a massive risk??

Kingship
    Good V Evil
    LMB
    Appearence V reality.

That is all I could do tonight, wouldnt finish it till, half 12 quarter to 1.

awhir wrote: »
    same boat as u , but tbh i cant really be botherd doing anymore work today ! iv lost all my drive :(
    Studying now, i think will only confuse us

• Registered Users Posts: 19,253 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

poisonated wrote: »
    Hey
    what is the difference between cultural context and general vision and view point.What different things would you write in them.I know thhat general vision and viewpoint is the view of the author but other than that is it extremely similar to cultural context?
    Thanks

cultural context is talking about the society and culture as far as I know. I haven't really looked at general vision but I assume it's a bit more general than CC

What are the best things to study now?? (for Macbeth) Im not a person who learns 20 quotes and tries to wing it on the day, doesnt work for me!

Is this a massive risk??

Kingship
    Good V Evil
    LMB
    Appearence V reality.

How do you mean "do"? You're doing out entire essays to learn off?? |:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Is this a massive risk??

Kingship
    Good V Evil
    LMB
    Appearence V reality.

just read through a good few essays , once u know the outline of macbeth ul do sound , im doing the same thing for the quotes and i can see my self only being able to use 3 or 4 quotes but oh well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

poisonated wrote: »
    Hey
    Thanks

CC is the worlds of the texts
    V&V seems to be whether it's positive or negative. I didn't do it but that's what I've heard...

Learn quotes for everything in P2 and use them. No need to learn off chunks of generic text and connectives like some pre-schooler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Tonight im studying walcott, gen vis + viewpoint, cultural context and deception, kingship, imagery and relationship between LM and M. Hopefully this will be enough, aiming for a good B.. Nervous!

Good Luck to everyone tomorrow, don't let two years of study go to waste! It will be grand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭carefulnow99

hi everyone sorry im a new user so first comment on here and if i am doin somethin wrong i apologise so here i go

im doin ordinary level english in the morning and kinda let english slip a bit so i av nooooo idea wat poets are tipped or even if they are tipped so heres the poets iv done poems on in class

Bishop
    Longley
    walcott
    Montague
    Rich
    Larkin
    Mahon

so i know the poems but as far as learning notes iv no clue so thats what i need help with so if anyone has any hints tips or any help what so ever please post soon... im runnin out a time here

thanks in advance

Advertisement