Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Last Day chit chat goals incidents and laments clearing house thread

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

ul Toon and Boro. Hull gave ya's every opportunity but just couldnt take it.

lol @ villa fans "you're going down with the baggies"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Sad day for Newcastle United football club. I'm said for them and their fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

haha, fantastic :)

Pathetic performance. Any toon fan who wants Shearer in charge next season needs their head checked.
    So now we rate Managers in a couple of games and with a squad full of injuries and no chance to buy players you would like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

eagle eye wrote: »
    So now we rate Managers in a couple of games and with a squad full of injuries and no chance to buy players you would like?

ah come on

his appointment was the most idiotic idea in footballing history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Gutted for Newcastle, but for anyone who saw the Sky Soccer Special, Paul Merson was for once spot on. There's no quality in the Newcastle team. The likes of Bassong says he'll be leaving if Newcastle got relegated, to be honest Bassong no team worth their salt would want you. The players let those fans down badly this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Consistently shocking all season long and that last performance epitomized it. Maybe relegation will be the best thing for them. Either that or they will go the way of the super-leeds. I know what I want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Helix wrote: »
    ah come on

that would be Steve Staunton i believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Pathetic performance. Any toon fan who wants Shearer in charge next season needs their head checked.

The only guy ive seen work magic with rubbish is that guy on Middle Abbey Street,

wholesale changes at the club over the next few weeks,

and Shearer can the man to lead what will need to be a new establishment

• Advertisement

nuxxx wrote: »
    that would be Steve Staunton i believe

staunton won more games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ha ha. Look at their performance today. Absolutely 100% pathetic. He was hired to galvanise spirit + for morale more than anything, no evidence of that today. The way they went down must be heartbreaking for Toon fans, down with a whipmer. He should never have got the job in the first place.

If you want to judge him over the course of more than a handful of games, perhaps put him in charge of a team in one of the lower divisions (lower than the Championship) and see is he actually any use at management.

ah come on

I don't know what the guy is capable of in management, do you?
    He has been touted for a long time as a guy who has all the qualities to be a very good manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I honestly have no idea how good a manager Shearer would be. Nothing so far has shown it, expect that he wasn't instantly a world class manager, which would only surprise the most dedicated of Newcastle fans.

That said, he should be a good man manager. That's what you'd expect from him. So far he hasn't shown that he is. How good he is tactically I don't know, but I'd be shocked to find out he's a tactical genius.

Either way, he should get his shot at the championship.

I look forward to a lot of the Newcastle players realising that they aren't actually good enough and nobody wants to buy them. That said, I'd expect maybe 6 or 7 to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Apparently Newcastle didn't even manage a shot on target today.

I'd say they deserve to go down, but Hull lost at home to Man Utd Youth Academy.

If you want to judge him over the course of more than a handful of games, perhaps put him in charge of a team in one of the lower divisions and see is he actually any use at management.

For all intents and purposes that is and probably always was what was going to happen.

• Advertisement

no, nor does anyone else

which is why giving him the newcastle job with 8 games to go was beyond idiotic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

For all intents and purposes that is and probably always was what was going to happen.

A big team like Newcastle getting relegated, having to cut spending and build a team potentially from scratch?

I wouldn't want somebody as inexperienced as Shearer in charge of that job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Gutted for Newcastle, but for anyone who saw the Sky Soccer Special, Paul Merson was for once spot on. There's no quality in the Newcastle team. The likes of Bassong says he'll be leaving if Newcastle got relegated, to be honest Bassong no team worth their salt would want you. The players let those fans down badly this season.

Bassong is quality imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

no, nor does anyone else

They were doomed ever since the wise / keegan / ashley affair imo
    Who do you think they could of gotten instead of Shearer?

no, nor does anyone else

Id be more of the opinion he took the job because of the bonus available if he had have kept them up coupled with the fact that nobody else would take it, nobody else that would be capable of keeping them up,

i cant really remember but who else was touted at the time?

i know Kinnear was already a walking health disaster waiting to happen but the job ended his footballing career.

with the set up thats there Newcastle would have been very lucky to attract a guy that could have kept them up.

Managing to get Shearer in and take the heat off himself, it was one of the least idiotic things Ashley done, the heat is back on him now, and for what he has done to the club - he should give it away.

• Advertisement

He has 7 weeks with the club as manager. I mean he at least kept them in the fight for survival and with injuries all over the place to key players. I don't think he did a bad job given the injuries, the tough schedule of games they had, and above all else the fact that he had very little time with the team.

I don't think anything has been proven by this either for or against Alan Shearer.

Shearer just conducted himself very well in a post match interview. Couldn't help but smile though. He was right saying they will need to rebuild - parachute payments of 11m for next 2 years will help

SBRAGIA RESIGNS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

He has been touted for a long time as a guy who has all the qualities to be a very good manager.

the guy worked in the media. the guy made it clear he would be interested in management at some stage. the media hyped him up...

2+2=?

there's nothing to suggest anything, apart from the obvious of course: he has no experience and never had anything about him (both in intelligence or persona) to suggest he was capable of it. Anybody remember what his 'analysis' for the BBC would be like? Made Lawro and Hansen sound like scholars. 'Good strike' or 'He should have done better' or 'You know what it was like, Gary'. That was it. I wouldn't let him near me local underage sides...

Ugh, on SSN they are saying one of England's biggest clubs go down re@ Newcastle - sick of that bs statement, filling a stadium does NOT equal big club.

Wonder what attendances will be like next season. I can see Newcastle's being still very very high but I'd say Boro's will drop a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Know it has been said already but well done to Roy Hodgson and Fulham, European football next season, would really love them to have a great run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Ugh, on SSN they are saying one of England's biggest clubs go down re@ Newcastle - sick of that bs statement, filling a stadium does NOT equal big club.

Wonder what attendances will be like next season. I can see Newcastle's being still very very high but I'd say Boro's will drop a good bit.

Newcastle are still probably the among the best supported clubs to be ever relegated from the top flight. in most people's minds, the size of the support relates to the size of the club.

Newcastle are still probably the among the best supported clubs to be ever relegated from the top flight. in most people's minds, the size of the support relates to the size of the club.

I agree that they are one of the most supported and also one of the best supported to be relegated.

What annoys me is that's the only factor being considered in what is a big club. They have great support and a great big stadium. IMO thats it.

Think of all the other factors that's needed for a big club and they don't tick the boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

p_larkin99 wrote: »

Big clubs are clubs that win trophies. Newcastle are not a big club they just have a big following. That is it. I'm a Boro supporter and I know my club are a small team. Gutted they went down but realistic to know they havent been good enough to stay up.

newcastle are pretty much only supported in newcastle tho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I caught the second half of the Villa/Newkie game it was impossible to belive they even cared in the slightest what happened to the club. No evidence of application even at the most rudimentary level. They were nearly lucky Villa were so crap, a deflection is a mean way to go down on the day but then its the other 37 games that put them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

newcastle are pretty much only supported in newcastle tho

I don't live in Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I didn't think Hull would get out of it but Newcastle were a lot poorer than I expected. In a lot of ways the game typified their season. Started brightly, began to fade, suffered a bit of misfortune and then went down with a whimper.

I felt a bit bad for Sbragia. I kept thinking to myself there was no way you'd see Keano go out like that.

I would worry about Newcastle and Boro in the Championship. I think funnily enough West Brom are better equipped to come back as the club knows about getting out of the division and looks quite stable in spite of finishing last.

It's clear though there's some gulf between the two halfs of the table.

Advertisement