Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transporting (spoilers for the new film)

Options
  • 24-05-2009 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Transporting onto the Enterprise, at warp, light years away ..

Can someone explain to me how they could do this?

- My understanding of it is that it's some sort of experimental tech and this is how they have not got it on later ships in other series.
    - My other thoughts are that it's something only just created in the 2380s and that Spock has provided this information to them to allow them to do this.

At the time during the film the first one seemed more sound .. but the second one seems to make more sense now?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

did spock not say that it was scotty's own formula?
    Scotty was alive in the later series and relatively young for the time, so could have developed it in the 2380's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

did spock not say that it was scotty's own formula?

Yah, which is why I was going down the experimental route.
    Scotty was alive in the later series and relatively young for the time, so could have developed it in the 2380's

Which is one reason to go down the future technology route - assuming he did it after he left the Enterprise D in the shuttle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭c0mpliant

I think what they were saying was that the Enterprise hadn't left the system yet, which either means they were moving very slowly, or we saw the whole Kirk meeting Spock and finding Scotty etc in real time...neither of which seemed very plausable

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It just another ridiculously unexplainable part of that film.
    c0mpliant wrote:
    I think what they were saying was that the Enterprise hadn't left the system yet

The ship was at warp when they transported on, clearly showed that at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It just another ridiculously unexplainable part of that film.

It's starting to really bother me now. I want some sort of (any sort of) explanation for it. :(

• Advertisement

The ship was at warp when they transported on, clearly showed that at the time.

That doesn't mean they weren't in the same star system...

c0mpliant wrote: »
    That doesn't mean they weren't in the same star system...

It should as you're not allowed warp inside a star system; another conviently ignored bit of trek knowledge.

And since when is Vulcan only 3 minutes away at warp 3?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It should as you're not allowed warp inside a star system; another conviently ignored bit of trek knowledge.

Isn't there 2 different "warp speed" measurements? Perhaps they used the exponential one as part of the "revised" universe.

Not that I'm defending it, there's loadsa plotholes in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

There were a lot of plot wholes but I enjoyed the movie all the same.
    The main thing I noticed was Kirk recognised the description of the lighning storm in space as being from the same ship, but that lightning storm was caused by the ship coming through the rift in space/time 25 years before so would not have been around the ship as it approached Vulcan.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

warp has been used inside a system before. Remember the episode where data meet his grandfather. Near warp transport. Troi noted that she thought that she materialized inside a wall and Riker informed her that for a moment she did:confused:

• Advertisement

somuj wrote: »
    warp has been used inside a system before. Remember the episode where data meet his grandfather. Near warp transport. Troi noted that she thought that she materialized inside a wall and Riker informed her that for a moment she did:confused:

And in DS9 and Enterprise a lot (before they knew they shouldn't) but it's not supposed to be done and would not be standard practice.I can't remember if it's ever clarified why it shouldn't be done. Yet in film they warp direct from Earth orbit to Vulcan orbit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You are assuming the movie is real time then?
    Now I might have blinked but it did not look like one minute they fire up the warp drive and the next we are told they will arrive in three minutes.
    They obviously cut the actual time out. Perhaps they should have separated it a little better in the movie though.

I remember they warped into star systems all the time. They would drop out of warp in front of a planet and drop to impulse. If they could see the planet on the viewscreen then they are already inside a star system

They have used warp speeds LOADS of times inside star systems, it was claimed that to protect the fabric of subspace that they shouldn't except for in emergancies but if I'm not mistaken this was brought in during the TNG era.

Besides, all you need to do is watch First Contact and you see someone warping inside a system. It doesn't get you very far very quick.

Also someone else noted that the warp speed scale was revised. Indeed it was, at some point between Star Trek 6 and the first episode of TNG, the warp speed scale was revised which made warp 10 the theoritical limit, but in TOS they hit warp 14 once I think, so the overall speeds are slower compared with 'modern' day timeline

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

3 words: Temporal Cold War.

I didn't watch all of ENTERPRISE but I do know that the altering of the Archer timeline would have had a ripple effect on the TOS stage in history even before the appearance of Nerada and the resulting divergence in events.

Any changes (stardates now integrating the actual year; warp scales; ANYTHING) are allowed as this is a new universe.

If we try to bog this mythology down in the dense net of self-contradicting and frankly asphyxiating technicalities that hindered the Prime films and shows then it will die and early death. It's been admitted by Abrams and co that the script was unfinished. The strike hit fast and there was no way to address issues in the film. I still think it's highly entertaining and that any little niggles are exactly that.

Regarding Scotty's formula for Transwarp Beaming: Spock may have perfected it in 2380. Maybe not. Maybe he lied to Scotty to encourage him (the dude is stuck on an ice planet, it seems his life has taken a wrong turn...?). Who knows? It's a fun film.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

c0mpliant wrote: »
    They have used warp speeds LOADS of times inside star systems, it was claimed that to protect the fabric of subspace that they shouldn't except for in emergancies but if I'm not mistaken this was brought in during the TNG era.

Besides, all you need to do is watch First Contact and you see someone warping inside a system. It doesn't get you very far very quick.

Also someone else noted that the warp speed scale was revised. Indeed it was, at some point between Star Trek 6 and the first episode of TNG, the warp speed scale was revised which made warp 10 the theoritical limit, but in TOS they hit warp 14 once I think, so the overall speeds are slower compared with 'modern' day timeline

Doctor Captain hot red head Beverly medical ball of rust hit warp 13 in all good things:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They must have rejigged the warp scale again in the future to take into account transwarp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Penrose

Random wrote: »
    It's starting to really bother me now. I want some sort of (any sort of) explanation for it. :(

Me too :(

Advertisement