Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who should be the villains int he next Trek movie?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

FFS
    Kahn? 1 character that has already had a movie centered around him.
    The augments were also covered in TOS and Enterprise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MetalDawg

FFS
    Kahn? 1 character that has already had a movie centered around him.
    The augments were also covered in TOS and Enterprise

Having started this thread, Ive gotten a few ideas from reading the various posts.
    I gotta say that retconning or reintroducing Khan just wont work imho. Maybe if they make, say, a passing reference to the Eugenics Wars of 1996 (lol:D) somewhere that's fine but why reintroduce him? It'd only be a remake of TWOK, which they couldnt possibly top.
    Granted, in the alternate timeline the SS Botany Bay may still be drifting in space, waiting to be discovered, but I really think thats neither here nor there (probably gave someone an idea now, dagnammit.)
    As for Javier Bardem, would he not make a kick-ass Klingon?
    Alternatively, get Nicholas Meyer on board to direct/executive produce/script the next one?
    Make the next one more cerebral, ok still have a class starship fight scene, and Kirk gets to boink some alien babe, but overall make it deeper more thought provoking than its predecessor.
    Finally, no f***ing time travel!
    End of rant

*goes to get coffee*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The talaxians, conquering the galaxy with their bull**** and whiskers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 triplehhh

borg all the way i be first in line there . my fav villians of all time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭scanlas

How come people have such a problem with the borg being in the next movie because "they have been done to death" but they have no problem with the Klingons being in the next movie who have been in far more star trek episodes and movies.

The next movie should introduce us to new species or feature lesser known species like the Breen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 triplehhh

species 8472 if you dont know who they are check out Voyager when 7 of 9 first came into the show they can kick borg ass anytime

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

MetalDawg wrote: »
    Tholians anyone?

Or Breen, Perhaps a minor race who we know had conflict wth the federation in the past like the

Shelliak
    Tamarians

Perhaps a story against a large orginisation like the Orian syndicate or section 31

something interesting that has not been done before- if jj trek 2 was about klingons or khan he would have to thread very lightly i mean he pissed off allot of trekkies with the first one and tos klingsons and khan are done - there is no reason to remake them - do something knew that might be intereasting and not doing his versions of old trek movies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

It would be foolhardy to do a remake of Khan or even bring him back. WoK is a masterpiece, you can't surpass a masterpiece. There was so much careful thought put into that film that a wham bam film which utilizes Khan is going to fall very short.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

A new enemy, please. All known species are done to death in the series.

I would like a "benine enemy" again as in ST:TVH and to a lesser extent ST:MP. No person/ species out for revenge, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I see someone mentioned an alternative timeline and The Borg. It got me thinking how about a Borg creation story in which the timeline is also somehow corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

It would be foolhardy to do a remake of Khan or even bring him back. WoK is a masterpiece, you can't surpass a masterpiece. There was so much careful thought put into that film that a wham bam film which utilizes Khan is going to fall very short.

Did I not hear recently that they are looking for a 'Khan'

If it is the Borg, then I am not going to see it.

And was there not a timscale, given in Voyager, to the origins of the Borg that was more than 100 years before TNG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

In the early days of the Federation, the Vulcans were pretty much in charge, they were more advanced technically, wiser, and they looked down on Terrans, considering them their stupid, loud, cousins who they have to put up with. It was hinted in Enterprise that the Vulcans attempted to slow down Man's progress. Archer at times was quite bitter towards them. Now the balance has been shifted. There are less than 10,000 vulcans left, and have gone from the dominant species, to refugees. I wonder how they will take it.

How about as was said by someone else, a split in the Federation. The Vulcans, once the superior race are now outnumbered, they fear(or should I say are concerned about) the loss of their culture. Old Spock is on the one hand trying to find somewhere quiet to live and not impact history, and on the other is feeling compelled to act as arbitrator. While trying to push their own agenda, they get expelled from the federation and Starfleet is forced to take up arms against its oldest friend in the universe.

The Klingons are the logical choice for the villain, but they have been done to death a bit.

The Borg are still in the Delta Quadrant. The timeline as only been affected in the near area, no matter what happened in ST:2009, it did not affect other Quadrants, so if the Borg were to appear in the Alpha quadrant around the same time Kirk graduated, it would have been recorded in the History books.

As for a new species, that was one of my problems with Enterprise introducing new species. Why did TNG/DS9 never mention them before? Obviously from a real life point of view they had not been written yet, but ST has always been good with timelines and history etc.

Someone mentioned it should be topical to current global issues.

Please dont. Otherwise we will end up with a TVH-esque "Ancient species which visited earth 5 millenia ago are shocked to see the vast amounts of CO2 in the earths atmosphere and wage war. Kirk has to return to the year 1986 and gather Air from the earth to dilute the current massive amounts of CO2 in the earths atmosphere, and when he goes back to 1986 he has to be careful not to run into himself and the enterprise who choose the exact same week to visit 1986 in search of whales, or the space time continuum will explode. I have to stop writing. Thats getting too daft.

syklops wrote: »
    How about as was said by someone else, a split in the Federation. The Vulcans, once the superior race are now outnumbered, they fear(or should I say are concerned about) the loss of their culture. Old Spock is on the one hand trying to find somewhere quiet to live and not impact history, and on the other is feeling compelled to act as arbitrator. While trying to push their own agenda, they get expelled from the federation and Starfleet is forced to take up arms against its oldest friend in the universe.

I still think that a split like this would work. You could have the Romulans trying to integrate the remaining Vulcans and Starfleet fighting it etc.

Cardassians/Tholians/Breen could make an appearance to try to take advantage of the turmoil and make a territory grab

I don't think that the Vulcans as the, only, agressor will work. There are just not enough of them left now, although I can not fully understand this as they were shown to have their own outposts in Enterprise. Would they not have Vulcan colonised planets/cities, with millions still?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

I'd like it to be a disaster film: some kind of non-sentient enemy, as in a galactic superstorm where Enteprrise joins forces with cold war enemies (Klingons/Romulans) to save people from doom, with backstabbing and double-agents etc...something new and different.

If they try to ape Wrath of Khan they're going to fail. it succeeded as a film because it is bombastic and operatic, and it works perfectly as it is. Resurrecting Khan in this new Star Trek universe would be weirs, unoriginal and would only taint the awesomeness of TWOK.

Klingons make intriguing enemies but they've been overexposed in the saga and frankly neutered by TNG. Even their DS9 mini-war struggled to return them to their original level of threat. And who can rival General Chang as a supremo Klingon villain.

Superstorm. Disaster. Tragedy. Distrust. Interstellar intrigue. Do it.

I'd like it to be a disaster film: some kind of non-sentient enemy, as in a galactic superstorm where Enteprrise joins forces with cold war enemies (Klingons/Romulans) to save people from doom, with backstabbing and double-agents etc...something new and different.

If they try to ape Wrath of Khan they're going to fail. it succeeded as a film because it is bombastic and operatic, and it works perfectly as it is. Resurrecting Khan in this new Star Trek universe would be weirs, unoriginal and would only taint the awesomeness of TWOK.

Klingons make intriguing enemies but they've been overexposed in the saga and frankly neutered by TNG. Even their DS9 mini-war struggled to return them to their original level of threat. And who can rival General Chang as a supremo Klingon villain.

Superstorm. Disaster. Tragedy. Distrust. Interstellar intrigue. Do it.

"some kind of non-sentient enemy"
    Getting too close to Doomsday device there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'd be in favour of having some sort of *event*, rather than a single enemy (like the super-storm or federation split mentioned above... though it might be a little early in this 'new' series to concentrate too closely on federation politics).

Star Trek's 1, 3, 4 and 6 managed the no-actual-enemy thing quite well, allowing more room for adventure (as opposed to action/fighting) and character development - something I'd enjoy seeing more of from these new actors.

Advertisement