Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant Problem

Options
  • 24-05-2009 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice, as I dont have much landlord experience.

Had a tenant for the past year, no issues at all, rent always paid on time etc. I've today found out that he has vacated the property and left the key with a neighbour. (Lease would have ended in about 4 weeks time anyway).

Anyway, I got the key and checked out the house. Turns out that the back garden is in an awful state with rubbish everywhere.

I have no idea where the guy has moved to. He wont answer his phone. What can I do from here? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Given that its a recession and all that maybe he just lost his job and cant afford the rent. Some people just panic in these kinds of situations.

Unless you're talking about serious money, by this I mean the deposit, I'd just move on. It will probably cost an arm and leg to find and prosecute for damages.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In all fairness- you have vacant possession of the property, and other than the mess in the rear garden, its in reasonable repair. I'd put it down to experience and move on. You could chase him/her via the PRTB, and I'd be inclined to lodge a complaint one way or the other- but at the end of the day- you're not out of pocket by too much- put it down to experience and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Block caller ID on your phone and see if he answers.

You could bill him for the cleaning and or make a litter complaint to the council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭bobbiw

smiler26 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Looking for some advice, as I dont have much landlord experience.

Had a tenant for the past year, no issues at all, rent always paid on time etc. I've today found out that he has vacated the property and left the key with a neighbour. (Lease would have ended in about 4 weeks time anyway).

Anyway, I got the key and checked out the house. Turns out that the back garden is in an awful state with rubbish everywhere.

I have no idea where the guy has moved to. He wont answer his phone. What can I do from here? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks in advance.

There is not a lot you can do, hopefully he will fall down a well or something.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

bobbiw wrote: »
    There is not a lot you can do, hopefully he will fall down a well or something.

You've been watching too many horror movies!

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement