Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casuals in XGC next weekend?

• 24-05-2009 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭

Hey, just wondering though there's not a tournament on in XGC next week would people be interested in showing up and renting a couple of consoles for an afternoon to play some casual matches? Few of the lads who hung around after the last tourney seemed interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

That would be great. Not sure about myself as I dread the 8 hour journey there and back but I'll think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Assuming I can make take the day for it, this suits me perfectly.
    Maybe I can even improve my scrub Abel play :D

Oh right! You're the Abel dude. Cool

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'll be back from Germany late on Friday. Depending on how I feel I might show. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Missed the last tounry's due to work/being away. Think I'm free this saturday so might show up in the afternoon.

• Advertisement

I'm gonna hang around from 2/3 til 6pm-ish, if anyone's interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah, I'll drop in for a few hours as well - gotta head to a barbeque though, so dunno when I'll have to leave.

I might head down but wouldn't be there till about 3 or 4 maybe. The four hour journey is becoming more and more dreadful :(

I'm exhausted but will try and stick my head in if I hit town.

Unless anyone posts here saying they'll be in earlier than 2, that's around when I'll drop in.

edit: and Leprekaun, at this stage it might just be me and Kiki showing up if the others who posted don't head in - probably not worth a 4 hour drive! You're welcome to come of course, just don't want you to make that huge journey and for it to only be three of us.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I guess I didn't go. I'm really sore so I decided not. Have fun lads :)

So who whooped ass then? :)

Dreddybajs taught me that to whoop ass, I have to switch from Abel... to Blanka :eek:

So I will try that out.

Also, Honda Buttstomp > Lariat :D

Well, tbh, I was surprised when I found you using Abel. I know every fighter is well balanced but Abel heavily relies on close range so I think if someone is to use a close range fighter, best man for that is Zangief + the fact he has much better recovery times than Abel. If you fail to connect a special with Abel, the FDB+P throw for example, you're in trouble. I know Abel has mixup over Zangief and generally moves quicker but he is much easier to read in comparison to Zangief.

Each to his own of course, I may switch to Zangief myself as most of my best play with Ryu is close range as I'm pretty good for rushdown.

I dunno, you could always take a lesson or 2 from Poongko (Korean champ).
    He plays a very fast & loose Ryu.

Nah, I just need to develop my strategy a bit better to rank up with Ireland's best. I've got all the combos and all that nailed. I have some degree of social life that I'd like to cling on to so it would smash it if I were to attempt to reach the level of Daigo or Poongko.

By the way :), I wanted to ask you, what were you saying to me there when we were shaking our hands before our match cuz you seemed bothered about something, I dunno, I might've misunderstood or something so please excuse me if I did but I was just curious because I was very confused :)

Just nerves before a match & all that jazz with button configs, and I wanted to shake your hand AFTER we configured buttons. :rolleyes:
    Let's meet again on the field of battle!

GGs Kiki, pity more people didn't show up but there's always next time! Cheers again for the stick, haven't got a chance to use it yet but I think I'm gonna like it.

Right, no worries :). Dunno why you'd be nervous about the tournament. Its just for a bit of fun anyway. I look forward to facing your Abel again, got lucky last time so want to see if I'm cr@p or total cr@p :D

OT: HahA! you can never defeat my filthy tongue boards mods. I shall constantly use words that you would otherwise censor and simply modify them to bypass your ridiculous censorship system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Dunno why you'd be nervous about the tournament. Its just for a bit of fun anyway.

It's just one of those things. I'm the same as him tbh. I sign up for tourneys and leagues in games all the time. I do it for the competition and fun.....and I get nervous anyway. :p It's just in my make-up and I know most people are the same.

I mean, its a mess about and all that...and I dont take it seriously either, but I still get that competition flutter.

• Advertisement

Well, don't think I was ice cool or anything :) but I guess it just depends on a player's level of play. I mean, maybe with you lads, you were going into the tournament, knowing that you're good enough to fight to win the tournament while I personally went in knowing that either blag, azza, bush or the balrog player (sorry, I didn't get your name) would most probably beat me. I'd still try my best but my mind was prepared for losing because I was expecting it if you know what I mean where as with you lads, you felt you can go all the way so any hit you take gets you even more nervous.

I'm probably talking sh!t so don't pay much attention to what I'm saying.

Well, don't think I was ice cool or anything :) but I guess it just depends on a player's level of play. I mean, maybe with you lads, you were going into the tournament, knowing that you're good enough to fight to win the tournament while I personally went in knowing that either blag, azza, bush or the balrog player (sorry, I didn't get your name) would most probably beat me. I'd still try my best but my mind was prepared for losing because I was expecting it if you know what I mean where as with you lads, you felt you can go all the way so any hit you take gets you even more nervous.

I'm probably talking sh!t so don't pay much attention to what I'm saying.

i'm not top tier. If we're doing this next week, I promise you a fight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

I'm the rog player from the last tournament and I have to say tbh I didn't expect to do as well as I did.
    I'm definantly not as good as azza, he's an absolute beast, and I'm not sure how I'd measure up against some of the other players here in friendlies...

I don't think I'd be able to come down next week if there is another one on as a friend of mine is coming over from Germany for the week. I'll try anyway, he might like street fighter :)

No worries, maybe more people would show up if we just did it every two weeks anyway. Seems like we could set up ranking battles too or whatever.

By the way, I wanted to tell you lads that the fellas at Xtreme told me at the Halo tournament that the last SFIV tournament we had is the last official one because they borrowed some promotional copies from Capcom and they had to return them yesterday so I think if we're gonna have another tournament, we'll have to bring a few of our own discs down.

Just remember to put a sticker on your disc with your name on it to be able to differentiate between the discs.

By the way, I wanted to tell you lads that the fellas at Xtreme told me at the Halo tournament that the last SFIV tournament we had is the last official one because they borrowed some promotional copies from Capcom and they had to return them yesterday so I think if we're gonna have another tournament, we'll have to bring a few of our own discs down.

Just remember to put a sticker on your disc with your name on it to be able to differentiate between the discs.

Wow thats cheap. How much would a couple of copies of SF4 cost at this point?

Or are business' charged differently?

Well, if you look at the back of the box of every game, there is a warning that says that you're not allowed to use the game for commercial purposes (which I think XGC would fall under) or rent. What we would be doing would be considered ;);) but if we bring a few copies, our case would be strong because it is the equivalent of meeting up at a friend's house and a bunch of people playing and only reason why we'd be using it at XGC is for convenience for everyone.

SFIV prices seen to have dropped a lot. Collector's edition is selling £30 when on release, was £70. Can't remember the regular edition.

• Advertisement

Just had a look on Amazon, its ridiculous, collector's edition is only £2 more than the regular edition. Thats Amazon's prices, marketplace is probably cheaper again.

Advertisement