Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casuals in XGC next weekend?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

But the "Collector's Edition" came with 2 of the ugliest figurines I've ever seen!

Man, I'm glad I spent my money on the "Strategy" guide instead :rolleyes:
    Y'know, the one with frame data only for the arcade characters.
    And that can't account for the changes in CE, or any future updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    But the "Collector's Edition" came with 2 of the ugliest figurines I've ever seen!

Man, I'm glad I spent my money on the "Strategy" guide instead :rolleyes:
    Y'know, the one with frame data only for the arcade characters.
    And that can't account for the changes in CE, or any future updates.
    I love those guides, especially for MMO's which go out of date the day after the game launches.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Well, if you look at the back of the box of every game, there is a warning that says that you're not allowed to use the game for commercial purposes (which I think XGC would fall under) or rent. What we would be doing would be considered ;);) but if we bring a few copies, our case would be strong because it is the equivalent of meeting up at a friend's house and a bunch of people playing and only reason why we'd be using it at XGC is for convenience for everyone.
    As long as the majority of the fees are going into the prize pool and not to the venue, I don't think it would constitute a "commercial purpose" and I don't see any sane developer bringing a company or people to court for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

If they're making money off their copies of the game being played then it's commercial and that's that, really.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    If they're making money off their copies of the game being played then it's commercial and that's that, really.

True dat.

Anyone know how much a copy for professional use costs?

• Advertisement

Surely this would then apply to all games in gaming tournaments and lans though if it was enforced in any form?

Jim wrote: »
    Surely this would then apply to all games in gaming tournaments and lans though if it was enforced in any form?

Maybe it is?

Its all conjecture.

Some companies just don't care - e.g. in Korea there was a hubbub among the TV stations for who had the "broadcasting rights" to pro Starcraft games, and now I think they all have to pay one company for the right to broadcast games.

However none of this is covered by Starcraft's TOS at all, and if they wanted to, Blizzard could shut it all down - they won't, though, as it's good for them to have Starcraft seen as a competitive and exciting enough game to be played on live TV a decade after its release, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

That commercial purposes thing means to sell them. There are no commercial copies like that for games as far as I know, not for renting. I reckon they don't feel that it's that big of a business yet to warrant the extra cost.

Er, not really. As Kinetic stated, "commercial purpose" and "commercial" are different definitions and the discussion is "commercial purpose".

• Advertisement

How is it not still a commercial purpose? :confused: Either way, I doubt Capcom would care anyway.

I'd say its pretty safe to do, otherwise all XGC's tournys for FIFA etc would be at risk also, not to mention every other tournament for every other game at every other net cafe and lan in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Jim wrote: »
    I'd say its pretty safe to do, otherwise all XGC's tournys for FIFA etc would be at risk also, not to mention every other tournament for every other game at every other net cafe and lan in the world.

Well, I've been to other net cafes before where they have licences to run games over a LAN and I've heard that a local net cafe were fined 5000 punt for running games that they didn't have the licences for.

If XGC are running tournaments without licences, they're treading on a very thin line.

Like Dreddy said, it could be said that Capcom would be happy to see tournaments as its free exposure but there is one company that I think would try to hunt down people every chance they get and they would be Microsoft.

Well, I've been to other net cafes before where they have licences to run games over a LAN and I've heard that a local net cafe were fined 5000 punt for running games that they didn't have the licences for.

If XGC are running tournaments without licences, they're treading on a very thin line.

Like Dreddy said, it could be said that Capcom would be happy to see tournaments as its free exposure but there is one company that I think would try to hunt down people every chance they get and they would be Microsoft.

In the business world, the fact that Capcom "would be happy" wouldn't be enough for most companies. A legal reassurance they would not be sued is probably what most would require. A stand up business just wont leave themselves open to legal attack like that.

That said, if we go in with our own disc and play, I can't see them protesting much.

Net cafes have presumably stricter laws because they are renting out their PCs and software installed on said PCs to customers and the public. So, you can't compare Net cafes to a competitive tournament.

I don't it is true that Microsoft would hunt people down, because they have allowed XL Halo tournaments and even supplied XL (Xbox 360 UK LAN) with Halo game discs and consoles.

This whole argument is ridiculous anyway, who wants to meet up for a few games next weekend?

This whole argument is ridiculous anyway, who wants to meet up for a few games next weekend?

You and others have kept confusing people. :P

So make a new thread if you don't want to talk about meeting up for casual games in the XGC - either way let's stop posting about it in this one.

Can a mod close this thread as there's now a newer one about this up?

Advertisement