Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccination question

Options
  • 24-05-2009 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

We are looking in to getting a dog and have put up an advert on a pet section site looking for one free to a good home. One lady has gotten in touch who found a stray jack russell, she's tried looking for it's owner, put up posters etc and no luck so she's now looking to rehome him. He looks quite young but she's not sure what age. My concern is that we obviously don't know his history or if he's been vaccinated....so what I'm asking is would it be dangerous to vaccinate him if he already has been? Or will it be harmless? We just want to know for certain in case we take him and wanted to vaccinate him if he's already been vaccinated and it could harm him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

No, it shouldn't do him any harm, rescues do it all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

Blueprint wrote: »
    No, it shouldn't do him any harm, rescues do it all the time.

Thanks, would we vaccinate him with all three so? With the first vaccination and the two boosters a few weeks later?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Well, I've only ever done initial vaccinations with stray adult cats, they give one and then another around 3 weeks later there, I think one of the three you're thinking of is an initial puppy vaccination. Your vet will tell you what you need to do anyhow, I would bring him for a thorough check up as soon as you bring him home, in case there's any issues!

Good luck if you decide to take him, my dog was a rescue too and it's a very rewarding thing to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Your best off restarting the entire course. My suggestion would be to take him home for a few days and let him settle in then take him to the vet for a full check up, and restart vacs. Also make sure you redo the inital worming treatment also. They wont do him any harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

Thanks a million Blueprint and Jules. Good to know. We were hoping for a Jack Russell and a rescue so it looks like we've found him, will be sure to bring him to the Vet after a couple of days. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Best take him to the vet and get him checked out.
    You are getting a great little dog. I have a female jack russell she is heading for 11 years old now. Great pet and great fun. They are little characters. Best of luck.

Advertisement