Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are student loans with min payments risky?

Options
  • 24-05-2009 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I am considering taking out a student loan for €1500 to go away for the summer. I have contacted my local AIB branch who have said that I should be approved for the loan if I apply. However, I am a bit worried about the repayments method and I am afraid it will cost me in the long run. They have said the I have the option to just repay the interest for the first year. The interest rate is 10.20% so this would amount to around €85 for the year (I think).

I intend to actually start making payments through out the year of the loan and not just the interest. So, a €1500 loan could probably take me 18 months to clear, or 12 months if I successfully land a job next summer (which is never a certainty in these times). I don't know anything really about loans and rates but I have heard the "nightmare" stories people sometimes have about student loans. Anyway can anybody please advise me here if this is a decent sounding loan or should I run a mile?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

It's not the lowest interest rate you could get, but it's only "risky" if you decide to skip your payments and want a black mark on your credit report.

Not sure if that answers your question...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

AARRRGH wrote: »
    It's not the lowest interest rate you could get, but it's only "risky" if you decide to skip your payments and want a black mark on your credit report.

Not sure if that answers your question...

Thanks for the reply. I should be fine with repayments but like I said, I will probably only be able to make the min payments such as €50 per month. With regards to interest rates, do you think I could get much lower?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

BOI are offering a student loan with a 9 month non interest period if the loan is repaid in full. I personally would not be able to have this all repaid within 9 months and after that is becomes standard student loan interest rate of 11.4%.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

DeadMoney wrote: »
    BOI are offering a student loan with a 9 month non interest period if the loan is repaid in full. I personally would not be able to have this all repaid within 9 months and after that is becomes standard student loan interest rate of 11.4%.

Actually it doesn't become a standard loan. The idea is that you get the loan for 9 months with no interest. At the end of the 9 months, the loan has to be repaid in full. This can either be done by lodging intermittently during the 9 months, or by making one lump payment at the end of the 9 months.

If after the 9 months you cannot clear the loan, they will restructure it into a term loan. It should be noted that this is counted as a loan refinance, as opposed to simply starting to repay a loan as normal.

Advertisement