Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything to look out for when picking a puppy?

Options
  • 24-05-2009 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone (me again!!)
    Right I have decided on a Sammy (Samoyed husky) to be our newest addition and I'm going to look at pups during the week. They going to be let go at 6 weeks so wel have him in a few weeks hopefully!

First of all is it okay to take a pup at 6 weeks? I don't know why but I thought it was 8-10 or something like that but I'm just putting this question forward to reassure myself :)

Next for anyone familiar with the breed is there anything in paticular I should be looking for other than a good temperment in the puppies and mom?

Thanks

Also Any other tips on keeping a Samoyed would be appreciated :) I have a book that I bought today for research but then books in my experience don't tend to have all the info!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Your suspicions are well founded Jen. Absolutely no way is it ok for a pup of any breed to leave its mother and siblings at 6 weeks. The age 6 to 8 weeks and up to 10 weeks is when the pups learn manners, respect, and tolerance. Take a pup at 6 weeks and you may be dealing with an unbalanced and behaviourally problematic adult dog.

Aside from the resulting problems in taking a pup too young, the fact that the breeder is willing to let them go at that age would set off the alarm bells for me. If I were in your shoes, I would go elsewhere for a pup. The breeder can't possibly be very knowledgeable about breeding, and if they are- then I wouldn't think they were reputable if they're willing to overlook the needs of the pup. A good breeder will want the very best start in life for their pups.

And another point....your Dad's partner intends to show the dog yes? If she's thinking of getting into showing on a serious level, then she really must invest in researching the breeders to get a good standard of the breed that has had all the breed relevant health checks carried out.

I made a post recently talking about what to avoid or look out for when buying a pup...gimme a minute Jen and I'll copy and paste it here....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I wouldn't take a pup at 6 weeks, and I would steer clear of any breeders that let them go that young. Have you researched the health issues in samoyeds, I think that the breed is prone to hip dysplasia, and also some eye problems. I think the prevelance of diabetes is fairly high as well. So, I would be asking to see the hip scores of BOTH parents, and any other relevant health tests. Contact the breed club secretary and ask them what you need to be looking for. If this is going to be a show dog, you need to ensure that it is from really good stock. Even as a pet, you don't want to end up with a dog that can barely walk when it is still very young.

Sorry I took so long getting back to this....

When you buy a dog you should see it first at the breeder's home, and view the mother of the pup, and possibly the father if he is also owned by the breeder. You should be satisfied that the premises is clean and that all dogs there appear to be in good physical health, and pups should be displaying the normal puppy traits, ie. happy, playful, social, eager to explore. The breeder should ask you as many questions as you ask them- they will want to know that their pup is going to a suitable home and that the buyer is aware of what's involved in rearing and caring for that particular breed. If the pups are registered the papers should be available to you on the day you purchase, as well as the vaccination records which should be stamped/signed by a vet. Most good breeders will microchip their pups, so they'll give you the info you need to register your details as owner. They should let you know that the pup is wormed to date, and when the next worm dose is due, and also which wormdose was used. They should also chat with you about the food the pup has so far been reared on, and offer you some to take with you to keep you going til you can buy the same brand. Some breeders have 'puppy packages' for new owners, where you get a fact sheet on pup care, maybe a collar and lead, some toys etc. They don't all offer that, but some do.
    And the breeder should have no hesitation discussing with you the results of the breed relevant health checks carried out on both parents.
    They will also insist or at least offer to take back the pup if for any reason things don't work, and will want to know if any health problems should develop with your new pup. And NO decent breeder will let their pups go before the age of 8 weeks!

Not ALL reputable breeders will do ALL of the above, but if they tick most of the boxes- you're onto a winner.

What a disreputable breeder does is sell you a pup with promises that the papers and/or vacc chart will be forwarded in the post. They might give you false contact details, if any. Some of them also offer to 'meet you halfway'....fooling you into thinking they're being kind and obliging, when the truth is that they don't want potential buyers to see, in some cases, the state of their breeding premises, or the multiple breeds on site, or the filth and squalor the dogs and pups live in, or the ill health and misery of the breeding bitches.... they don't want you to find out they're the scum of the earth, ie. a puppy farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

And another point....your Dad's partner intends to show the dog yes? If she's thinking of getting into showing on a serious level, then she really must invest in researching the breeders to get a good standard of the breed that has had all the breed relevant health checks carried out.
    made a post recently talking about what to avoid or look out for when buyinga pup...gimme a minute Jen and I'll copy and paste it here....

Thanks Call_me_socket! That is the one thing I like about the breeder apparently the pups are from a champion bloodline but then is that something alot of breeders would say? I'll still go to see the pups just in case perhaps I picked the breeder up wrong on the phone (and i'm really 'hoping' I did) and they are in my area.

Grasping at straws here I know but if I asked to pick up the pups instead at the 8 weeks (If I picked the breeder up right) it would prob not be any good as the siblings would most likely be gone so still bad for the development? (is that right??)

I'm at that excited stage where I want it now! I know though that I'll have to muscle patience from somewhere :o
    I wouldn't take a pup at 6 weeks, and I would steer clear of any breeders that let them go that young. Have you researched the health issues in samoyeds, I think that the breed is prone to hip dysplasia, and also some eye problems. I think the prevelance of diabetes is fairly high as well. So, I would be asking to see the hip scores of BOTH parents, and any other relevant health tests. Contact the breed club secretary and ask them what you need to be looking for. If this is going to be a show dog, you need to ensure that it is from really good stock. Even as a pet, you don't want to end up with a dog that can barely walk when it is still very young.

Thanks ISDW. Ive seen a few mentions of the hip dysplasia so I will definitly be asking for the hip scores along with the eye scores. I'm going the contact the breed club tomo and ask what I should be looking out for exactly.
    What a disreputable breeder does is sell you a pup with promises that the papers and/or vacc chart will be forwarded in the post. They might give you false contact details, if any. Some of them also offer to 'meet you halfway'....fooling you into thinking they're being kind and obliging, when the truth is that they don't want potential buyers to see, in some cases, the state of their breeding premises, or the multiple breeds on site, or the filth and squalor the dogs and pups live in, or the ill health and misery of the breeding bitches.... they don't want you to find out they're the scum of the earth, ie. a puppy farmer.
    Thanks again call_me_socket :) (your my fountain of info tonight!!! :D:D) I've seen a few adds offering to meet half way and I have to say it did turn me completely off. One thing I absolutely have to do is visit where the dogs are being kept. though knowing me if they are being kept in bad conditions it
    would prob become my mission to save the poor things.. (my dad would have a coronary!! :D)

Jen if you want to PM me the breeder's name or kennel name I'll see what I can find out for you....?
    Btw, even with the siblings gone, those 2 weeks with the mother will still make the world of difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Jen even if the other pups are gone don't take the pup at 6 weeks even if they say the other pups are gone and are doing fine, eventhough pups are able to eat solids at that age some pups are still drinking from their mum as well and 6 weeks is still too young, they tend to be still very puppyish and how can the pup possibly be fully vaccinated at 6 week of age. Usually vax are either started at 6 weeks but it's another 2 weeks before the second vax is done so even if they were vaccinated at 6 weeks you would be paying a lot of money for a pup that wasn't feven ully vaccinated ..big no no.

You have to use your head rather than your heart with this one, there are plenty of other dogs out there better to be paying out a genuine breeder than someone who sells pups at 6 weeks of age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Hi jen_23,

I'd be pretty sure that at best that breeder is very inexperienced, if that is not the case steer clear.

There are a lot of Samoyed husky breeders out there so if you're not sure walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

jen_23 wrote: »
    Hi everyone (me again!!)

First of all is it okay to take a pup at 6 weeks? I don't know why but I thought it was 8-10 or something like that but I'm just putting this question forward to reassure myself :)

quote]

Absolutely not. Nobody would allow a pup to go before 8 wks.

Also a pup should not be taken off it's mother entirely until it's 6 wks. When it's doing well on solid food. Pups cannot receive the 7in1 vaccination until its 8 weeks old (correct me if I'm wrong guys)

So yes alarm bells.

I'm not too bothered about the health aspects in Samoyeds as like with every other breed, not all suffer. There is controversy that these very problems are a result of inbreeding etc and high protein diets at young ages to get them up to size rapidly for show ring.

So i wouldn't hold much on the champion pedigree bit, anyway, how would you know it to be true. In England a breeder would have the parents pedigree and all CH would be marked in red. There a are lot of Sam's being bred way to small so if the mum is small, avoid.

I have an adorable Sam dog, he has no health issues, my friend has his father and grandfather, no health issues, and as far as i know not tested.
    Other friends have them, not tested, going strong for years also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

i think id run a mile here.........no breeder who has the best interests of their pups at heart would let them go at 6weeks:confused:
    if you go to see these pups, remember...all pups are very cute so brace yourself to walk away if needs be!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Thanks everyone for all the great advice.
    I've decided to go with another breeder (highly recommended) as I know myself if I even walked in to see them I would have to take one.

So I'm taking the advice on not going at all.

But the good news is we should have the pup in about 5 weeks :D:D:D:D

Be prepared for very cute fluffy pics when we get him :D

Now just to settle on a name.......... Hmmmm

• Advertisement

Can't wait to see the pics!!;)

Advertisement