Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "WTF do Newcastle do now?" thread.

• 24-05-2009 6:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Right.
    Its over, they're gone.
    What now?

who stays.
    Who goes?
    Who should be brought in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Owen, Viduka, Bassong will all go. Martins will be a bargain now. They can keep Duff if they want.

They'll be back up...................unfortunatley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Who goes?

Owen,Martin,Collocini,Viduka,Gutierrez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I think it's pretty straight forward tbh. They need to do the exact same thing City did - get in a good board (we had David Bernstein at the helm), cut the squad (we had over 50 professionals killing our wage bill and we cut have of them), get a few lower league pros in with the young lads (we mixed Morrison, Dickov, Goater with Weaver, Brown, Cooke).

It will take time to get back up but I firmly believe Newcastle will become a better club for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

They're obviously a club who have not prepared for relegation so they could easily go the Man City route and end up being relegated again before they come back up, if ever.

Middlesbrough are in a much better position to come straight back up as they are a very well ran club.

I fully expect West Brom to come straight back up too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Gotta think they might have the biggest turnover of playing staff since Leeds went down and who knows if Shearer will stay on, if he doesent i wouldent be shocked to see Dowie get the main job despite just being assistant as they went down.

Martins, Owen, Bassong, Collocini, Guitterez will want out and a few more who are on big wages will be wanted out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Here's their squad:

Fabricio Coloccini
    Nicky Butt
    Damien Duff
    Sebastien Bassong
    Steven Taylor
    Sanchez Jose Enrique
    Jonás Gutiérrez
    Habib Beye
    Michael Owen
    Obafemi Martins
    Danny Guthrie
    Shola Ameobi
    Geremi
    Kevin Nolan
    Ryan Taylor
    Peter Lövenkrands
    Joey Barton
    David Edgar
    Mark Viduka
    Andrew Carroll
    Claudio Cacapa
    Alan Smith
    Xisco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Think itll be good for them, cut a lot of dead wood and if Shearer wants the job a chance to cut his teeth in management in the championship like Keane did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

All this conversation has been said before in our superthread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Owen will be done.

I'd expect Bassong, Nolan, Geremi, Owen, Gutiérrez, Enrique and Duff to certainly be looking to move on. I'd imagine there would be buyers for most of them. Duff is certainly an interesting player, who if the right manager took on could be a world class buy.
    I'd imagine Coloccini will be pushed to be sold, but they might not find a buyer in England. I'd imagine he'll leave the PL.
    Butt might get picked up by a newly promoted side, wouldn't be the worst signing.
    Taylor may well be looked at by a lot of clubs, but he's a local lad.

I think though that Newcastle have the financial muscle to hold onto a couple of decent players. However I'd argue anyone over the age of 26 or so should be let go, too expensive to keep those players on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Full of rubbish players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

That_Guy wrote: »
    Yeah but everyone know that topics like this and other gems such as "Should United Buy Kenwyn Jones?" need their own thread.

That_Guy wrote: »

True, but I think this will attract a wider audience and interest now that it jas actually happened.

Be good to mix the opinions of Newcastle fans with some of us who have been through it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

I can't see them bouncing back up TBH.

Joey Barton....lol.

Any club who buys him deserves to go down.

As stated before a huge clearout is needed. Simple as.

Owen, Coloccini, Geremi, Cacapa etc have to go.

We were shocking this season. Our own fault and nobody elses.

Today's match culminates Newcastle's entire season. Spineless, no momentum and stragglers who do not want to play for this club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

PHB wrote: »
    Owen will be done.

Duff is certainly an interesting player, who if the right manager took on could be a world class buy.

Id take him back to Blackburn in an instant, don't think Sam would agree though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote: »
    Here's their squad:

Fabricio Coloccini - Gone
    Nicky Butt - Keep
    Damien Duff - Gone
    Sebastien Bassong - Try keep
    Steven Taylor - Keep
    Sanchez Jose Enrique
    Jonás Gutiérrez - Have him put down
    Habib Beye
    Michael Owen - gone
    Obafemi Martins - gone
    Danny Guthrie - keep
    Shola Ameobi - keep
    Geremi - keep
    Kevin Nolan - gone
    Ryan Taylor - keep
    Peter Lövenkrands - straight to the glue factory
    Joey Barton - he'll be in prision again
    David Edgar - Keep
    Mark Viduka - gone
    Andrew Carroll - keep
    Claudio Cacapa - keep
    Alan Smith - keep
    Xisco- keep

Charles Insomnia is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Lol @ Chuckys post, completely agree. Wise orchestrated some comical transfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I fully expect them to go in the direction of Leeds. At the moment there is nobody in that club who has a clue, so it's not just a case of bringing in the right people (who's even capable of doing this there? Ashley? lol)

looking at their squad, they've got a fair few players on high wages they aren't going to be able to shift. they'll go to the brink, unless they get lucky.

Charles Insomnia is gone.

You'd keep Xisco and Ameobi but think Gutierrez should be 'put down'?

What. The. Fuck?

• Advertisement

Geremi will not hang around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,004 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

joe123 wrote: »
    Joey Barton....lol.

Any club who buys him deserves to go down.
    I would take him at Blackburn in an instant. Big Sam is known for handling players with bad pasts and he gives 100% on the pitch every game.

Who do you support?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The problem for Newcastle is that they have an awful lot of awful players on ridiculous wages.

Michael Owen is on wages of £100k a week.
    Damien Duff is on wages of £70k a week.
    Joey Barton is on wages of £60k a week.
    Mark Viduka is on wages of £60k a week.

Newcastle could easily be stuck with these misfits for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

eagle eye wrote: »
    I would take him at Blackburn in an instant. Big Sam is known for handling players with bad pasts and he gives 100% on the pitch every game.

Who do you support?

jaysis no, Barton shouldn't even be allowed play for a prison team

Esse85 wrote: »
    Geremi will not hang around.

He shouldn't be allowed to hang around.

Xavi6 wrote: »

What. The. Fuck?
    Even if they wanted to keep him, he's one of the few players who will be in demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Interesting to see who comes in for Owen, if indeed anyone will. So glad United didnt buy him 3 yrs ago.

Interesting to see who comes in for Owen, if indeed anyone will. So glad United didnt buy him 3 yrs ago.
    Some mid table team, Blackburn maybe.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Some mid table team, Blackburn maybe.
    Not a chance of us going for Owen, wages and lack of height make it not possible.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »

What. The. Fuck?

You wouldn't get cheeseburger in return for Xisco or Ameobi though so unless their on extremely high wages your better off keeping them, especially Ameobi who with his strength will be a solid championship player. Gutierrez would be a disaster in the championship.

Not a chance of us going for Owen, wages and lack of height make it not possible.

And the fact that he's sh*t.

Shearer.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Probably Birmingham. I don't know who else would bother with him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I could see Viduka staying at a low wage rather than going abroad tbh.
    I also think that Ameobi and Carroll are good enough to do a good job in the championshp.

Owen will find it hard to get a club this summer after the last few months, so bad.

Duff is good enough for a premiership team and I could see the likes of Wigan/Fulham/Blacburn/Bolton and Volves/Brum being interested in him. Espically Wolves, Mick rates him highly.

Harper is a solid low level premiership/quality championship keeper so they are alright there.

In defence, if they can keep Beye, both Taylors, Edger, Enrique, and sign another good cb (Edger isn't good enough yet) and a good left full they will be ok.

In the middle people like Butt, Smith, Ryan Taylor (so versatile), Nolan, Guthrie and Geremi are all good enough and hard working enough to win a championship promotion spot, which of them will stay is the main problem.

If they Keep forwards like the 3 I mentioned before and maybe even Lovenkrads, whos pace would scare the living day lights out of a championship defence. Also, it might just be Xisco's level.

realistically I expect the following players to leave.

Colocinni
    Nolan
    Duff
    Xisco
    Enrique
    Beye
    Cacapa
    Barton
    Owen
    Bassong
    Gutierrez
    Geremi
    Lovenkrads (short contract I think?)
    Guthrie
    Viduka (contract up)
    Martins

Which leaves only Harper, Kurl, S. Talyor, Butt, R. Taylor, Smith, Edgar, Carroll and Ameobi from their first team squad left and some players from the reserve team like Kádár, Tozar and Lualua. Not a bad starting block for a championship team and removes most of their problems this season and a lot of high wages.

They need to confirm a manager as soon as possible and let him start working on bringing in players and shifting un wanted players. but they have a decant shout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

but i thought they had that Santiago Munez player?

i for one will miss newcastle and the circus that surrounds them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I can see McCarthy coming in for Duff.

Seaneh wrote: »

Isnt in retiring and going to hit the beaches back home is Aus? I certainly cant see him sticking around in Newcastle to spend the season get the legs kicked off him at places like scunthurpe, doncaster, plymouth etc

There's no way I can see him staying at Newcastle on low wages. One of the promoted or bottom half teams would take him.
    Duff is good enough for a premiership team and I could see the likes of Wigan/Fulham/Blacburn/Bolton and Volves/Brum being interested in him. Espically Wolves, Mick rates him highly.
    He's on £70k a week and contracted until 2011. I can see him doing a Gary Kelly on this.
    If they Keep forwards like the 3 I mentioned before and maybe even Lovenkrads, whos pace would scare the living day lights out of a championship defence. Also, it might just be Xisco's level.
    Whatever about Lovenkrands being quick before, we've seen precious little of his pace this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Aidric wrote: »
    I can see McCarthy coming in for Duff.

Agree, not sure it would be a good move by Big Mick though.

Don't think duff will stay just collect a wage cheque, he actually gives a **** about his career, he will leave if he gets a chance. Also, Newcastle will probably agree to pay him off like Leeds did with Fowler.

• Advertisement

Who do you support?

I cant believe that. Youd actually be happy to help pay that scumbags wages?

I support Liverpool your in the Liverpool forum a fair bit thought ya might of seen me on about them! Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Well the owner wont sell now, wont get near the money he wanted or needs. So he is better off investing £20m into the club to get them back up and then he can sell it.
    Can see Carroll/Ameobi being a pretty decent strikeforce in the Championship. Well Joey Barton said he'll stay if thats a bonus. I hope they come back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I for one won't miss the magpies, they deserve to be relegated, absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Jazzy wrote: »
    but i thought they had that Santiago Munez player?

No...

He went to Real Madrid along with Gavin Harris in GOAL 2: Living The Dream.

Don't think duff will stay just collect a wage cheque, he actually gives a **** about his career, he will leave if he gets a chance. Also, Newcastle will probably agree to pay him off like Leeds did with Fowler.
    You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Damien Duff loves money, and I'm not giving out about him but he does love money.

As far as his career is concerned, he does try his best all the time but he is unlikely to be picked up by a team contending for honours so I think money will be a big factor in where he goes if he does leave.

I cant believe that. Youd actually be happy to help pay that Joey Barton's wages?

I support Liverpool your in the Liverpool forum a fair bit thought ya might of seen me on about them! Why?
    I would be happy to have a midfielder of his quality. We badly need one and his past is not whats important. If the man has put it behind him as I believe he has done, then its about football and nothing else and the guy is top class in fairness on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Players ought to be ashamed. Everybody is going on now like they are a team of sh1t players (Jamie Redknapp was saying they are not even good enough to win promotion from the championship) but imo its more of an attitude/belief problem than a quality one.

Owen, Viduka, Duff, Harper, Butt, Martins, Coloccini and Gutteriez are all good players imo and much better than what teams like Sunderland, Hull, Boro and West Brom have.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Damien Duff loves money, and I'm not giving out about him but he does love money.

As far as his career is concerned, he does try his best all the time but he is unlikely to be picked up by a team contending for honours so I think money will be a big factor in where he goes if he does leave.

WTF are you ****ing on about now?

I said he won't stay with a championship club just to collect a big wage cheque, I didn't say he'd sign for wolves for 10k a week.

Cop the **** on.

I also said that newcastle will probably pay him off like leeds had to do with a lot of their high earners when they were relegated to reduce their insane wage bill.
    I think newcastle will have to do it with several players!

Damien Duff will not willingly play Championship football just because he could make slightly more money out of it.

FACT.

Now, pipe down and stfu.

I would be happy to have a midfielder of his quality. We badly need one and his past is not whats important. If the man has put it behind him as I believe he has done, then its about football and nothing else and the guy is top class in fairness on the field.

Yeah but how many times has he "put it behind him". There are other footballers out there as good as him whod play for blackburn.

I cant believe that. Youd actually be happy to help pay that Joey Barton's wages?

I didn't know you were a Liverpool, if you supported a team that wasn't in the top four then Joey Barton would certainly be an improvement on your midfield.

• Advertisement
Advertisement