Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "WTF do Newcastle do now?" thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

joe123 wrote: »
    Ok apparently im not allowed call Joey Barton a "scumbag" so sorry if I offended anyone!?? :rolleyes:

Joey Barton is a player I dislike for certain things the individual in question has done over his career, not knowing how lucky and priviliged he is to be playing football for a living earning him 60 grand a week.

Im couldnt agree more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,004 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Seaneh wrote: »
    glad you found it funny, i dont see any personal abuse in my post though...

Fail, try harder, hhhmmkay?
    You should read your posts again then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i got a week ban two years ago for the exact same thing seaneh! same player and everything.

i dont see many teams moving in for newcastle players though. martins will go but im not sure where. wouldnt surprise me to see him at fulham, everton or even villa. Michael owen.... what can i say? the toon really is a graveyard for talented players. id like to see michael go to italy tbh. would love to see him playing for juve and get back to the level he was at. i dont think staying in england will do him any favours.
    who is going to take over as manager of newcastle though? i sure as sh1t wouldnt like to be in their shoes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Wonder how Nolan is feeling? Probably move back to Bolton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Honestly we deserved to go down.
    From the crap football to the carryon at board level and bringing Keegan back etc was a complete joke.
    I wanted Big Sam at Newcastle but he never got a chance...no way would we have been fighting relegation with him in charge no matter what any Newcastle fan says.
    And how anyone rates Nicky Arse is beyond me...that gob****e shouldn't be allowed to pass a ball as all he does it hoof it up the field.
    He's been shocking for us in games but gets away with it due to his defensive role. Get rid of him.
    3 reason why we got relegate?
    1. The team--i honestly think I could do better
    2. Mike Ashley- no need to explain further
    3. The Fans- The keegan years are gone..get over it..

Fabricio Coloccini -Good riddance
    Nicky Butt - Retire u wanker
    Damien Duff - Would like to keep but not a chance.
    Sebastien Bassong - Try keep but he's off.
    Steven Taylor - Keep
    Sanchez Jose Enrique - Keep- One of our best players this season.
    Jonás Gutiérrez - I'd keep him..he looked gutted at the results today and he tries which is more can be said for 90% of the wasters. I'd take someone who tries over someone like Butt/Owen/Barton.
    Habib Beye- Keep
    Michael Owen - Good riddance
    Obafemi Martins - Gone..overrated
    Danny Guthrie - hmm..keep for his youth.might come good.
    Shola Ameobi - keep for the championship and flog if we come back up.
    Geremi - keep
    Kevin Nolan - He'll be sold
    Ryan Taylor - keep
    Peter Lövenkrands - straight to the glue factory
    Joey Barton - he'll be in prision again :)
    David Edgar - Keep
    Mark Viduka - Keep...he'd score goals for us if he could stay injury free
    Andrew Carroll - keep
    Claudio Cacapa - goddamnit..is this waster still there? :(
    Alan Smith - keep..he'll finally score a goal for us..too bad it's not a premiership goal
    Xisco- Flog
    Steve Harper- Very underrated keeper..made some great saves today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

eagle eye wrote: »
    I would be happy to have a midfielder of his quality. We badly need one and his past is not whats important. If the man has put it behind him as I believe he has done, then its about football and nothing else and the guy is top class in fairness on the field.

I didn't know you were a Liverpool, if you supported a team that wasn't in the top four then Joey Barton would certainly be an improvement on your midfield.

I think Ousmane Dabo , Dickson Etuhu, Xabi Alonso and Samir Nasri would disagree with you there.

[IMG]file:///c:/Tmp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]C_71_article_1006083_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Although Newcastle came 3rd from bottom, I would much rather my club sign the players who are likely to leave Middlesboro, and WBA. Huth, Downing, Wheater, Pogatetz, Tuncay, Jones, and Arca, would be far more enticing to me than any of the dead wood at Newcastle. Unless they can cut these guys loose, or sell them on the cheap, it is likely that they will end up getting stuck with Newcastle, and that will drive the club further down the tubes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

joe123 wrote: »
    Joey Barton....lol.

Any club who buys him deserves to go down.

And any club that sacks Sam Allardyce deserves to be relegated is probably your, and those who thanked your post, other argument.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    You'd keep Xisco and Ameobi but think Gutierrez should be 'put down'?

What. The. Fuck?

Just shows how clueless so many people are when it comes to Newcastle United. All to ready to have a pop, but ask them to back it up with a sound argument, and you get this tripe.
    Esse85 wrote: »
    Shearer.jpg

groundhog_day.jpg

Wasn't funny the first time you posted it in the other tread mate. Leave humour to the likes of Pighead.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Kirnsy wrote: »
    I think Ousmane Dabo , Dickson Etuhu, Xabi Alonso and Samir Nasri would disagree with you there.

[IMG]file:///c:/Tmp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]C_71_article_1006083_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg
    Think he meant - hes top class, in fairness
    As in hes very skillful - not that hes a model professional

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Stay on topic and stop the flaming, trolling, off topic posting an abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Boro have a far better chance of going straight back up than Newcastle.

Time to get rid of the big time charlies and bring in some players who have experience of how to get out of the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

From the crap football to the carryon at board level and bringing Keegan back etc was a complete joke.
    I wanted Big Sam at Newcastle but he never got a chance...no way would we have been fighting relegation with him in charge no matter what any Newcastle fan says.
    And how anyone rates Nicky Arse is beyond me...that gob****e shouldn't be allowed to pass a ball as all he does it hoof it up the field.
    He's been shocking for us in games but gets away with it due to his defensive role. Get rid of him.

Steven Taylor - Keep
    Jonás Gutiérrez - I'd keep him..he looked gutted at the results today and he tries which is more can be said for 90% of the wasters. I'd take someone who tries over someone like Butt/Owen/Barton.
    Habib Beye- Keep
    Geremi - keep
    Ryan Taylor - keep
    David Edgar - Keep
    Andrew Carroll - keep
    Alan Smith - keep..he'll finally score a goal for us..too bad it's not a premiership goal
    Xisco- Flog

Mate the fans weren't the ones playing the sh*t football for 38 games.

Steven Taylor - Keep
    Habib Beye- Keep
    Geremi - keep
    Ryan Taylor - keep
    David Edgar - Keep
    Andrew Carroll - keep
    Xisco- Flog

Are you fcukin serious? He'll piss on ye if he gets stuck there that cnut only wants whats good for him get rid ye'll be better off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

newblue08 wrote: »
    Are you fcukin serious? He'll piss on ye if he gets stuck there that cnut only wants whats good for him get rid ye'll be better off.

By far our best player in the last couple of games. Has done more for Newcastle than Berbatov for United this season IMO.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I'd tip Newcastle for a quick bounce back TBH. I would reckon Shearer will hang around hopefully, clear out the dead wood and get them going in the right direction. The fans will get behind Newcastle in the championship and St. James will still be packed. The team has been in freefall for months. An unsensational shearer summer is exactly what they need. That and a defence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

If and when Newcastle go back up they have to stop being a club for ex big name players to collect a wage. Smith,Owen,Duff,Butt the list is endless. Some perspective is needed from their fans also. They are NOT a big club and to be fair have never been a big club. Dropping out of the league could work out in their favour in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd tip Newcastle for a quick bounce back TBH. .

Theres no real way to know until August to be fair. At least then it'll be known what sort of squad they'll be tackling the league with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

That_Guy wrote: »
    By far our best player in the last couple of games. Has done more for Newcastle than Berbatov for United this season IMO.
    Berbatov 32 games, 9 goals, 9 assists
    Viduka 11 games, 0 goals, 2 assists

Thats why Berbatov has a premier league medal.

Never mind, Viduka with that form may have a championship medal by this time next season.

And if he gets a new contract he'll laugh his socks off when he collects his wages and then proceed to do fcuk all. Its Viduka. He doesnt care about anything other than himself and his bank balance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Het-Field wrote: »
    Although Newcastle came 3rd from bottom, I would much rather my club sign the players who are likely to leave Middlesboro, and WBA. Huth, Downing, Wheater, Pogatetz, Tuncay, Jones, and Arca, would be far more enticing to me than any of the dead wood at Newcastle. Unless they can cut these guys loose, or sell them on the cheap, it is likely that they will end up getting stuck with Newcastle, and that will drive the club further down the tubes

That's actually a good thing for Newcastle. Viduka and Owen are both out of contract so that's already a big sum kocked of their wage bill. Players like Martins, Collocini, Barton, Smith and Duff will find new clubs if they want to. boro I think are in serious trouble as most of their team will be leave. It all depends on Ashley really as to how newcastle do but if you look at players that are available on a free they could easily make a great championship side when they combine them with Harper, Steven taylor, Nicky Butt*, Alan Smith maybe, Danny Gutherie, Andy Carroll and some of the fringe players.

Some players worth a look on free transfers would be:
    Liam Miller, Leroy Lita, Michael Duberry, Graham Alexander, Radhi Jaidi and a couple of more half decent squad players and I'm sure the premiership teams will let a couple of good players aswell.

*I accept Newcaslte fans hate him but he'd be a very good championship player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

the Sun "news"paper has Everton in for Owen. I can understand a (big) gamble

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Brien wrote: »
    the Sun "news"paper has Everton in for Owen. I can understand a (big) gamble

The way the media have written him off would suggest a summer re-invention. But if the pace is gone then his game is gone IMO.

Mate the fans weren't the ones playing the sh*t football for 38 games.

Nope..but calling for a manager to be sacked after a few months in charge is ridiculous..
    I don't recall the widespread demonstrations against Daglaish when it was pretty he was dismantling the players he inherited from Keegan.
    In fact it was pretty bad before they did do so.
    Big Sam had only 8 months...absolutely crap for the fans to demonstrate against him. Was never given a chance.
    I bet most of the hardcore fans would now wish for 1-0 wins now that we're down rather than beautiful football.
    It's a lesson we've never learned...win first...the sexy football can come afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

why would you want to sign this?

bartontacklefk4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Keith C wrote: »
    why would you want to sign this?

bartontacklefk4.jpg

Why woul danybody want to sign any of the hundreds of players that have commited worse fouls?

Is it ok when your a very good player like Keane, Shearer, Cantona etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Seaneh wrote: »
    Right.
    Its over, they're gone.
    What now?

who stays.
    Who goes?
    Who should be brought in?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/gallery/2009/may/24/newcastleunited-premierleague?picture=347851052

good riddance tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

That's actually a good thing for Newcastle. Viduka and Owen are both out of contract so that's already a big sum kocked of their wage bill. Players like Martins, Collocini, Barton, Smith and Duff will find new clubs if they want to. boro I think are in serious trouble as most of their team will be leave. It all depends on Ashley really as to how newcastle do but if you look at players that are available on a free they could easily make a great championship side when they combine them with Harper, Steven taylor, Nicky Butt*, Alan Smith maybe, Danny Gutherie, Andy Carroll and some of the fringe players.

Some players worth a look on free transfers would be:
    Liam Miller, Leroy Lita, Michael Duberry, Graham Alexander, Radhi Jaidi and a couple of more half decent squad players and I'm sure the premiership teams will let a couple of good players aswell.

*I accept Newcaslte fans hate him but he'd be a very good championship player.

When West Ham went down they were a huge draw for top championship players, and some decent premiership stars. Sheringham, Rebrov, Harewood, Zamora, Ethrington, Chadwick, Mellor, Chris Powell, David Connolly, Calum Davenport, Malky McKay, Hayden Mullins and Reo Coker, are all testament to that. Newcastle will be a major club for championship players who will feel they can make a start at a big club. Thus, I wouldnt be suprised to see somebody like Stephan Hunt make a horizontal move from Reading, Routlege come from QPR, and one or two decent stars of the premiership go to Tyneside.

However, Newcaslte wont like what they see. There will be cold and wet nights in Scunthorpe, and nights where the likes of Barnsley will pop along to St James Park and nick a win. But if they keep the faith, and manage the finances...it will be fine !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Het-Field wrote: »
    But if they keep the faith, and manage the finances...it will be fine !

but they've Mike Ashley at the helm still.

in other news, a few days ago the possibility of a Shepherd led consortium was being mooted to buy the club at a knockdown price should they be relegated. anyone see this happening? and would Shepherd be much better than Ashley in terms of taking them back up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

A7X wrote: »

Thank you for that image, genuinely this time! :D lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

PHB wrote: »
    Here's their squad:

Fabricio Coloccini
    Nicky Butt
    Damien Duff
    Sebastien Bassong
    Steven Taylor
    Sanchez Jose Enrique
    Jonás Gutiérrez
    Habib Beye
    Michael Owen
    Obafemi Martins
    Danny Guthrie
    Shola Ameobi
    Geremi
    Kevin Nolan
    Ryan Taylor
    Peter Lövenkrands
    Joey Barton
    David Edgar
    Mark Viduka
    Andrew Carroll
    Claudio Cacapa
    Alan Smith
    Xisco

Out of that lot I'd keep Guthrie, Nolan, Taylor, Smith, Guttierez, Harper, Butt, Martins, Duff and Carroll. The rest could go and I'd imagine even Gutierrez and Martins will have to be sold to keep the finances up. If they got 30m for the rest they'd be doing well.

Players to look at getting - Kevin Philips, even though I doubt it would go down too well. Stayed in the Championship with B'Ham despite getting promoted with WBA so might do the same this time around. There's also guys out of contract in the summer such as Danny Murphy, Michael Ball, Sean Davis, David Connolly that are all well good enough at that level.

To be honest, its going to be very hard for them to bounce back. You have Boro and WBA who I think will survive better at that level, QPR are going to spend again in the summer, Reading will be there or thereabouts. Next season is massive and as much as the fans love Shearer, he's not the man for the job. Why is it that they thought that he was going to be this great manager for them because he was a good player? Countless ex-players have failed miserably in the past. Steve Coppell would be my choice if I was them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

PHB wrote: »
    Here's their squad:

Fabricio Coloccini
    Nicky Butt
    Damien Duff
    Sebastien Bassong
    Steven Taylor
    Sanchez Jose Enrique
    Jonás Gutiérrez
    Habib Beye
    Michael Owen
    Obafemi Martins
    Danny Guthrie
    Shola Ameobi
    Geremi
    Kevin Nolan
    Ryan Taylor
    Peter Lövenkrands
    Joey Barton
    David Edgar
    Mark Viduka
    Andrew Carroll
    Claudio Cacapa
    Alan Smith
    Xisco
    Wow I can see a lot of that list leaving. I've bolded the players I think will stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

methinks the likes of Nicky Butt and Duff would be on wages far too high for a Championship club to maintain and that they will be offloaded.

Not sure but Newcastle still have a fair amount of debt right? Either way it's not going to be as simple as selecting who should stay and who should go, finances will determine everything they do next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,004 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Next season is massive and as much as the fans love Shearer, he's not the man for the job. Why is it that they thought that he was going to be this great manager for them because he was a good player? Countless ex-players have failed miserably in the past.
    Are you some sort of football guru?

I'm only quoting this bit, but are you saying that after 7 weeks in management and with a squad full of injured players(that he didn't buy) that he is not up to the job?

How do you come to that conclusion?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I have never really considerd Shearer the manager anyway, more a figurehead and motivator since he only had several games with em. Dowie and Hughton (is he still there) would be more than likely to be using their managerial experience to tell him how to organise the team etc but thats just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I have to say about Shearer though, whether you love him or loathe him, he's a breath of fresh air when it comes to interviews, he talks no bullsh!t. He says it the way he sees it and doesn't try to deflect blame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Highsider wrote: »
    If and when Newcastle go back up they have to stop being a club for ex big name players to collect a wage. Smith,Owen,Duff,Butt the list is endless. Some perspective is needed from their fans also. They are NOT a big club and to be fair have never been a big club. Dropping out of the league could work out in their favour in the long run.

so tell us all what defines a big club ??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

daftdave wrote: »
    so tell us all what defines a big club ??

Teams that win stuff....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Like he said

jank wrote: »
    Teams that win stuff....

so blackburn you would consider a bigger club than say everton newcastle man city etc just because they won the league ??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

monkey9 wrote: »
    I have to say about Shearer though, whether you love him or loathe him, he's a breath of fresh air when it comes to interviews, he talks no bullsh!t. He says it the way he sees it and doesn't try to deflect blame

Give it time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Fabricio Coloccini - will have to leave, should get a bit of a return too
    Nicky Butt - will stay / retire!
    Damien Duff - will stay - may need to take a pay cut.
    Sebastien Bassong - will leave.
    Steven Taylor - will stay
    Sanchez Jose Enrique - will leave.
    Jonás Gutiérrez - will leave. Decent player, could do a good job for most prem league teams
    Habib Beye - will stay
    Michael Owen - who would take him?
    Obafemi Martins - decent player will leave
    Danny Guthrie - will stay
    Shola Ameobi - will stay
    Geremi - might stay
    Kevin Nolan - might stay but he is prem league standard
    Ryan Taylor - will stay
    Peter Lövenkrands - will stay
    Joey Barton - will be jail by start of season prob anyways...
    David Edgar - will stay
    Mark Viduka - will leave
    Andrew Carroll - will stay
    Claudio Cacapa - will stay
    Alan Smith - will stay
    Xisco - lol - should give him away for free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

jank wrote: »
    Teams that win stuff....

No, that would be a successful club.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

thewools wrote: »
    Michael Owen - who would take him?

I reckon he could do a good job for one of the lower Premier teams. Someone like Wigan (maybe even one of the promoted teams).

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I reckon he could do a good job for one of the lower Premier teams. Someone like Wigan (maybe even one of the promoted teams).

i dont think so , he is nowhere near the player he was , i think liverpool got the best out of him in his younger years, all the injuries he had over time are killing his game , and i'd highly doubt wigan or wolves or any of those kinda teams could pay his wages , even if he took a 50% pay cut they still couldnt afford his wages , where he is gonna end up god knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

No, that would be a successful club.
    Which would then be deemed a...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Newcastle deserve everything that's coming to them

half their squad on 50,000 + a week with no relegation clause

totally ****ed up and rightly so

Alan smith on 60,000+ a week, someone who hasn't scored a goal for a few years and career finished long ago.

If you want a dossier on how not to run a club NUFC is where its at.

And no, they are not a big club and certainly wont be any time soon

I wonder who are all these supporters who claim Newcastle are not a big club.
    Yes..they are ran like a pile of ****e but any club that gets 52,000 fans a week is a big club regardless whether they win or not.
    Liverpool/Man U won ****all for years yet they were still called big clubs.
    Spurs are called a big club..again not winning anything notable for years.
    If Newcastle were managed properly and invested in good players not money grabbing players then they could go on to be a successful club but it requires patience from the fans/board etc.

In fact I reckon most of these are either a Liverpool or Spurs fan.
    But definitely not a United or Arsenal fan as they don't come out with crap like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement